Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > V8 PETROL ENGINE BREATHER PIPES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
V8 PETROL ENGINE BREATHER PIPES

Hi all, started to change the 2 engine breathers on my v8 petrol today, got half way through before the sky's opened, any way i was shocked to see the condition of them and how they have deteriorated, i have seen it quite a few posts on this forum about them and that they can get quite bad,so check them.. they were both very bad, soft and as good as completely collapsed, one had a inch tear in it, they fell apart in my hands as i removed them..i was told that this can give you really bad fuel economy and cause the engine management light to come on. it would be nice to think ounce done i would get a few more miles out of her to the gallon.. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #15939 29th Mar 2010 8:42pm
delsilencio

France 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

First, thought about modification to connect a copper tube in the middle between the rubber hoses at both ends..
2. Did you also inspect this plastic item for possible blockage , itīs the oil seperator, you see the beige oil/water emulsion?

copyright: heppsen XJC, RRV8, Series1 86 and 107% of real pleasure

Post #15940 29th Mar 2010 9:41pm
daveo

hi, have not removed the oil seperator, what holds it to the engine, have removed both pipes from the top, was your one blocked.. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #15941 29th Mar 2010 9:57pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

It is held in place by two bolts, they are a pain to get to but it is possible. It then has a 4" ish length of hose that joins onto a metal tube, this will also more than likely have failed.

Additionally there is a small hose that runs to the OSV Oil Separator Valve, this will also have failed, mine had completely disintegrated and wasn't present at all. To get to this I think you have to remove the OSV itself, this is a complete pain in the ass and I would recommend against doing it unless you are already getting poor mpg, rough idle and MIL.

Click image to enlarge

Post #15944 29th Mar 2010 10:10pm
daveo

hi dan, i have the 2 new top hoses to replace, can you get to the small hose from the top or is it a jack up and do from under the car..my engine light has come on, but only the once and then went off the next day but i only get around 12 to the gallon hence the inspection of the top hoses.
daveo V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #15946 29th Mar 2010 10:33pm
dan_uk_1984

The drain hose from the separator/cyclone can be replaced from above. I believe one takes the cyclone off first, then fit the new hose to the cyclone and as you refit the cyclone slip the new hose on. It's near impossible to get a clamp on the lower hose, so my mech' only used one clamp to the cyclone.

The other thing is are you using genuine hoses? I replaced mine with fuel hose as it's oil resistant. The genuine ones will do exactly the same in a few years time.

Dan 

Post #15947 30th Mar 2010 7:29am
delsilencio

May try this before the next oil change...

http://www.lubegard.com/C-308/LUBEGARD+Engine+Flush XJC, RRV8, Series1 86 and 107% of real pleasure

Post #15949 30th Mar 2010 10:40am
dan_uk_1984

delsilencio wrote:
May try this before the next oil change...

http://www.lubegard.com/C-308/LUBEGARD+Engine+Flush

Not sure how this is relevant to this post, but either way I would never use an oil additive in an M62 engine. A decent oil has all of the detergents and additives needed to keep varnishing and sludge build up at bay. As long as your oil is changed at least once a year you should have a problem.

The PCV system deals with combustion gasses and oil vapour, not actual oil (in theory).

Dan 

Post #15950 30th Mar 2010 10:49am
delsilencio

BEFORE I wrote... itīs not an Additive for the oil, its an engine flusher stuff for cleaning the whole oilcirculation before you fill in new oil! XJC, RRV8, Series1 86 and 107% of real pleasure

Post #15955 30th Mar 2010 3:54pm
dan_uk_1984

delsilencio wrote:
BEFORE I wrote... itīs not an Additive for the oil, its an engine flusher stuff for cleaning the whole oilcirculation before you fill in new oil!

Yes, funnily enough I CAN READ. You have to add this to the oil and then run the car for a period of time (That's what makes it an additive) then you drain the oil out and fill with new. This process does not get all of the product out after, unless you went to the expense of doing a double flush.

We're not talking about some sloppy old Ford engine here, the M62 is designed with minimal tolerances and an interruption or adjustment of its lubrication system would be disastrous.

You used to be able to buy specific flushing oil which is thinner than usual and contains a higher level of detergents - however since the invention of semi/full synthetic oil there has been no need as oil ways just don't sludge up anymore.

By all means stick it in your own car, but please don't suggest that others should risk their engine longevity in a completely irrelevant topic.

If you're waiting for the oil to be black before you change it, it's already stopped working.

Thumbs Up 

Post #15957 30th Mar 2010 5:34pm
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

replaced mine today Surprised the most frustrating thing ive done for a while especialy the lower pipe Evil or Very Mad it was the the longest one to replace. i did get it on first time using a mirror (ill never be a dentist) so i took it off to put a jubilee clip on so i could finish the job properly. 2 hours later i got rid off the jubilee clip and replaced the pipe without it Twisted Evil
so i had a realy good day point i did notice was once i had taken the cover of the engine and the filter housing i laid a quilt on the engine to protect it and me (wife went mad Shocked )

Dan i dont see how your mech bust your box lid he must have been walking around the engine bay lol

other than that i broke a bonnet stay putting it into service mode Big Cry 22 quid later new one ordered. 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Last edited by andyw on 1st Apr 2010 4:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #16035 1st Apr 2010 3:43pm
daveo

i have too done my ones, my chest hurts from laying over the engine, both pipes had gone, soft and like handling doe, hope it makes a difference to the mpg, petrol up again... V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #16043 1st Apr 2010 4:32pm
robbo770

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Hi All,
I have done mine at 60,000 miles and they definately need done at this sort of milage as doey is an under statment!, got oil correct newly made ones of flee bay for Ģ16!.

recommend you all do them early as the cost of PCV failure and choking is not worth the risk.

Rob

Post #16095 2nd Apr 2010 12:28pm
kmhphoto

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I'm about to change the two upper breather pipes on our car but the pipe arrangement appears different to the ones in an earlier post - unless I'm seeing things incorrectly of course!

But I have this illustration from the workshop manual and its how my pipes look. Is it me or are the pipes connected differently in the two images?

Click image to enlarge

Post #62331 1st May 2011 7:01pm
daveo

hi is yours a uk 4.4 petrol V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #62337 1st May 2011 8:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>