Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Need your suggestions - EAS!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stebo

2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green
Need your suggestions - EAS!

Heads wrecked, need help!

Not long after I got the Range Rover I started having problems with the air suspension. I got the air suspension inactive message and after a bit of investigation I found a small leak in the front left airbag. Having paid £60 to get the fault code cleared the first thing I done was buy an "EAS activate" to read and clear any future faults.

With the fault cleared the car drove on the airbag with the hole for about three months - having to clear a fault every week or two. Eventually it got to the stage where the fault was needing to be cleared a couple of times a day and I eventually forked out to have a new air strut fitted. Hoping that this would be the end of it you can imagin how Censored off I was when the fault code went off again on my way home.

The fault code that has been coming up has always been "Reservoir Pressure static on filling". It has been getting worse and worse latley and I really need it sorted but can't figure out what it could be. I have did a bit of investigating with removing and replacing hoses etc but I'm pretty clueless about it all. These are the options I've arrived at.

1 - the suspension compressor in knackered, obviously while driving about with a pinhole leak the compressor was working over time which wouldn't have helped it. The other thing is that when a fault code pops up the compressor is running fine, the code pops up, and then the compressor stops. So the compressor is stopping because of the fault code and not the fault code because of the compressor.

2 - some sort of valves stuck, maybe no opening therefore there is no air getting to the tank which would explain "Reservoir Pressure static on filling"

3 - a pressure sensor not working correctly. There is obviously a sensor somewhere in the tank that reads the pressure, maybe this is not working correctly.

4 (wildcard!) - battery done - I've recently had a couple of flat batterys and various other electrical componants have been acting strangely such as radio stopping working or taking ages to turn on, etc. With the winter being so cold I'm sure the battery has taken a real beating, would a poor battery cause incorrect signals to be sent / valves not open / compressor not work at full cappacity? Another reason I am saying battery was because I stuck the car on a charger and was able to lift the car up and down many times without any faults popping up but this could be coincidence.

Anyway, what I am looking for is suggestions on what to do next. I would hate to throw away £250 buying a new compressor if that wasn't the problem. I also have the car up for sale and need this sorted out before selling it on so need to do something quickly.

All suggestions or things to try appreciated greatly Thumbs Up

Post #15975 31st Mar 2010 11:03am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Reservoir Pressure static on filling - this means that although the pump is running it doesn't register an increase in pressure.

So as you've already guessed, it could be a failing pump, or a dodgey pressure switch. You may ALSO have hit the nail on the head with the flat battery, but in this case I would suggest the first two.

How fast does it rise from access?

D 

Post #15976 31st Mar 2010 12:29pm
Stebo

The speed was always quite slow - maybe take a minute from access to off-road (assuming the tank is empty). Goes up and down immediatly when the tank is filled.

You don't happen to know where the pressure switch is? If it was easy removed I would try taking it out and cleaning it.

Going to try playing with it on the battery charger again to see it I can get it to throw up a fault to try and elliminate that option.

Post #15978 31st Mar 2010 12:39pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Stebo wrote:

You don't happen to know where the pressure switch is? If it was easy removed I would try taking it out and cleaning it.

Seems one needs to replace the reservoir as well as the switch, I imagine you can buy pressure switches online if you can find out the exact type though?

Click image to enlarge

Hmmmm: http://www.epvl.co.uk/pressure_switches/PMN.html 

Post #15979 31st Mar 2010 12:58pm
Stebo

Thanks for that.

Again not something that I want to buy just to see if it fixes the problem Confused .

I'll maybe have a good look at the reservoir aroung the pressure switch and check there's nothing obvious such as loose connections.

Post #15980 31st Mar 2010 1:49pm
Stebo

Was out at the car seeing if rising the car with everything turned off and a constant 1.8k revs (to keep a good current) would make any differance and have discovered the following.

As soon as I clear a fault the compressor runs for 9 seconds, stops for a couple of seconds, then runs for another 25 seconds before throwing up another fault.

It does this regardless of whether I hold the car at higher revs or not (was hoping that I might discover if the problem was the battery.)

Another thing I noticed however was that if I turned on all the heated windows/seats and lights, etc. The compressor runs much slower and continues to run for a couple of minutes ie doesn't turn off after 45 seconds.

Also noted that even when there is a fault displayed, if I attempt to lower the car the compressor kicks in for 9 seconds (although the car doesn't lower)

All in all I haven't any more of a clue what it might be but thought I'd throw out a bit more info

Post #15985 31st Mar 2010 2:47pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

My money is on the compressor, its worn to the point its not pumping.

Please do let us know the result.

Post #15990 31st Mar 2010 4:25pm
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

do all the lights go out on the controle panel and no adjustment possible

after the fault is cleared it will run for a time but to uch movement over taxes the system i had the same and resorted to the experts and tey diagnosed a compressor and a pipe clean once done no probbs and very fast filling compressor tank and suspension down side i can hear the compressor working every now and then

hope this helps Thumbs Up 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Post #16006 31st Mar 2010 9:44pm
Stebo

andyw wrote:
do all the lights go out on the controle panel and no adjustment possible

after the fault is cleared it will run for a time but to uch movement over taxes the system i had the same and resorted to the experts and tey diagnosed a compressor and a pipe clean once done no probbs and very fast filling compressor tank and suspension down side i can hear the compressor working every now and then

hope this helps Thumbs Up

The lights on the pannel all stay on, with the dot on the button to stop movement illuminated. If I try to change height the light just flashed a couple of times.

UPDATE - had a bit of a futter with the airsuspension on the battery charger again last night. Messed with it for the guts of 15minutes and couldn't get a fault code to pop up. With the tanks completely empty the car was able to raise up to full height (just on the compressor) in about 40 seconds which I didn't think was too bad. Haven't had a fault code pop up on my commute this morning either (which I am thinking is maybe because the battery will be 100% after the charge last night).

This, to me, points towards a tired battery. But then again maybe the compressor is close to it's end and was only working well due to the increased power (ie more the would be possible from a battery alone) it was getting from the charger.

I also discovered that there was a problem with early cars randomly throwing up the "pressure static while filling" fault due to the EAS ECU firmware and that an update has been released which solves the problem. Unfortunatly the stealers want £90 just to check out what version of the firmware the ECU is running Mad .

I have a new battery lined up (£100), a compressor (£175), and the option of getting raped by the dealers (£90). What one do I take the gamble on first Question

Is there any way to test what condition a battery is in??

Post #16067 2nd Apr 2010 7:41am
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

there is a way to check your battery but in my experience they are not very reliable i had mine checked and told there was nothing wrong with it. however it still went flat in hours or just would not hold a charge in this case the gobby Censored at kwick fit was wrong, new bty fitted no probs since

how old your battery 3 to 5 years is about the norm before tey start to deteriorate.

yes there is talk of the the software not having enough leway to allow the compessor to gain heat and i do believe there is an update available.

can you not get your stealer just to reflash the software without the check and see how it goes

there is also a kit that can upgrade your compressor or so my stealer told me as long as its not to knackered

there is a school of thought start at the cheapest and move through to the more expensive items

however it may well be worthwhile getting the problem diagnosed properly before throwing money at it

good luck Thumbs Up 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Last edited by andyw on 2nd Apr 2010 1:13pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #16076 2nd Apr 2010 9:49am
Stebo

Problem is that getting it diagnosed will cost as much as trying both new compressor and battery.

The dealer said to do anything he would have to wire it up to testbook which is £90 right away - not the most helpfull bunch generally and I pretty much hate giving any money to them Whistle

I think I am going to go for a new battery first as the battery is getting close to 8 years old so it prob needs it anyway.

Can anybody confirm if this battery will work? Seems quite cheap and good power - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWAX:IT

Thanks

Post #16083 2nd Apr 2010 10:25am
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Is the price for the compressor a one off Question I will be looking to sort my compressor once I recover from having the injectors reconditioned.

Regards the battery, I just got my local Battery place to order one in.. £130 I think. They only had the option of one on their books and it fills the gap left by the last one.

Do them a favour and figure out how the bonnet access / sevice tweak works. I didn't know about it and they had some fun fitting the new one.. glad I waited rather than bring it home. The Service position would have made things much simpler.

Post #16090 2nd Apr 2010 10:51am
Stebo

elpeede wrote:
Is the price for the compressor a one off Question I will be looking to sort my compressor once I recover from having the injectors reconditioned.

Regards the battery, I just got my local Battery place to order one in.. £130 I think. They only had the option of one on their books and it fills the gap left by the last one.

Do them a favour and figure out how the bonnet access / sevice tweak works. I didn't know about it and they had some fun fitting the new one.. glad I waited rather than bring it home. The Service position would have made things much simpler.

Compressor price is from a low milage, recently hit Range Rover at the breakers.

I've never done the "service tweek" but I've a fair idea how it works.

Post #16091 2nd Apr 2010 11:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1