Home > General (L405) > Day in an L405 TDV6 Vogue SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Day in an L405 TDV6 Vogue SE

Got the above car for the day and intend to give it a thorough test drive, like I did with the SDV8.

This one is Indus Silver with black roof, black interior, Panoramic roof, and a few other bits. Will report back soon with pics etc. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #197077 1st Jul 2013 9:50am
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Nice, how? Stolen? Or are you in the market? My Previous RR's!

2008 TDV8 Vogue
2006 TD6 Vogue
2007 TDV8 Vogue
2007 RRS (I know, it doesn't count!)
2005 4.4 Vogue on LPG
2005 TD6 Vogue
2003 4.4 Vogue
2001 4.6 HSE
2000 2.5 DHSE
1999 4.6 HSE
1997 4.6 HSE on LPG
1995 2.5 DSE
1989 3.9 EFI classic
1988 3.5 EFI classic

Post #197118 1st Jul 2013 6:26pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

So, how was it? Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #197124 1st Jul 2013 7:09pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

OK, finally sat down, was a long day. Smile

The car that I had today was a 13 plate 3.0 TDV6 Vogue SE in Indus Silver with contrasting black panoramic rooof, Ebony interior and headlining. From memory it also had the electric towbar, massage seats, winged headrests, cameras all round and I think one of the stereo upgrades too.

There was some talk on the forum that the TDV6 would be nowhere near as good as the 4.4 TDV8 in the L322 and as it's not a V8 it's no contender and not worthy. Well I can tell you, it IS Thumbs Up .

First impressions are how incredibly quiet it is, you could think you are driving a petrol engine car, no doubt the amount of sound insulation is helping here.

Naturally, the car is different to the SDV8, but don't be fooled, this car is swift along the road, and sounds good too.

Because of the all new chassis etc, the car feels very floaty and light, though I can't say hand on heart that it felt lighter or more nimble than the 4.4 SDV8 I had a few weeks back http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic18309.html

despite the lower kerb weight. I often found myself having to stamp on the brakes because it has whooshed me up to a speed I wasn't anticipating, the delivery is smooth and sort of stealth like.

Because of the 8 speed box the only negative I found was that it's programmed to short shift and get through the gears as soon as possible. so it's constantly bumbling along at just over 1,000rpm. This is an issue when you want to make progress, as you have to stab it to make it kick down a couple of gears, or, use the paddles. I loved using the paddles, no need to take your hands off the wheel, and once you're down moving through semi-manually, just hold the + paddle to knock it back into either D or S.

It could also be because this car had only 800 miles on the clock and gearbox adaptives may need settling down, and also, the engine isn't run in. As such I didn't see the economy I was hoping for. I did 250 miles today, mostly on A roads, dual carriageways, but also plenty of country Norfolk lanes requiring some overtaking of tourists, tractors and OAPs Very Happy Instead of the combined 37mpg I only saw 27MPG. I would hope this would get better as the engine beds in and loosens up.

The surprising thing is, when you push it, this engine doesn't sound like a V6, it actually burbles like a V8, I was conscious that the V6 would put me off cos I love my V8's so much, but this is good. I would be very happy with one of these. It still roars up the road when you stab it.

A few other points I noticed this time round:

I loved the inflatable seat side bolsters, you can really get the seat to hug you tight, brilliant for when you throw the car around a bit

The EBA kicked in when an old gimmer pulled out ahead of me and I was approaching at speed. I was ready and covering the brakes ready to slow down but the car did it for me, took me by surprise TBH but it jammed on the anchors.

The interior lights are switched on by swiping your finger over them, nice touch.

The front doors have some really useful pockets, as seen in the pictures.

IMHO, the winged headrests in the front are stupid, they are so far forward it's uncomfortable and it gave me neck and shoulder ache, and you can't drive whilst constantly pushing your head back into the (very soft) headrests.

I still think the centre console fridge should be optional, you lose a massive amount of useful space.

I don't like the powered tailgates, basically because I'm impatient and just want to shut them, quickly, not wait for them.

I'm not a fan of these standard 20" alloys, especially with the taller profile 255 55 20 tyres, they look like bus wheels, the 21" and 22" would be my choice. The Pirelli treads also looks like bus tyres!

Without Privacy glass I think the rear looks odd, especially the rear glass with the thick black lines round the edges.

It's a shame that unless you want to pay £1500 for the panoramic roof, you don't have a sunroof option, it's full [edit] aluminium roof or panoramic only.

When the sunroof is fully open I noticed you get that buffeting wind noise that blows your ears out, leaving you having to equalise the internal air pressure by cracking a window open too, or closing the roof a bit. (Never had this on the L322)

IMHO I think it looks rubbish in Silver, it doesn't work on this shape, darker colours all day long for me.

So, the ultimate question is, would I buy a 3.0TDV6, even though I love the TDV8 engines? Yes I would, it's still an amazing car.

Interestingly I've been invited to go and test drive the new Range Rover Sport at Gaydon at the weekend, so it will be great to compare it against today's experience.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on 2nd Jul 2013 7:48am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #197149 1st Jul 2013 10:32pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #197151 1st Jul 2013 10:40pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hmm, interesting read.

JLR seems to be really into those features that everyone says 'oh cool' but rapidly become increadibly annoying if you live with them every day - like the tailgate. I had a BMW where the interior lights would come on gradually and it was just annoying.

By the way, sorry to be a nerd, but it's aluminium. Laughing

Quote:
it's full steel roof or panoramic only

Thanks for taking the time to inform us. Thumbs Up

Post #197153 1st Jul 2013 10:48pm
oldcro

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Great review, thanks for posting. Thumbs Up

Post #197165 2nd Jul 2013 2:50am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Finally someone who agrees with me about the thick rear pillars and privacy glass! Bow down Thumbs Up

I'm very intrigued about your approval of the TDV6. Not having driven an L405 (yet), I can't argue or agree with your comments, but here's the rub. When commenting to peers / friends about my new purchase and the inevitable engine discussion rears its head, I'd have to whisper V6 rather than proudly state V8 as it would still seem that I'd not the funds or the motivation to buy a FF with the proper (traditional?) number of cylinders.

I know it's subjective and it's mainly in one's head, but that V6 / V8 thing would gnaw away at me all the time.

That aside, your report makes me like the L405 more and more. Thumbs Up Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #197170 2nd Jul 2013 6:57am
RRUK
Site Supporter

KurtVerbose wrote:

By the way, sorry to be a nerd, but it's aluminium. Laughing

Quote:
it's full steel roof or panoramic only

Thanks for taking the time to inform us. Thumbs Up

It was late and I was shattered and not thinking, I KNEW it was aluminium too! Big Cry Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #197172 2nd Jul 2013 7:47am
RRUK
Site Supporter

A couple of other points I remembered.

This one had the ECO stop start thing. Annoying. I know it's pretty quick to start up but when you want to pull away from traffic lights or a roundabout quickly this hampers you totally. I went through the steering wheel menu but couldn't see a way of switching it off as you can in most eco cars.

The centre rear seat I think looks like a disability aid of some sort, that massive bulbous head rest thing looks weird. It makes it the wrong size for an adult. Having spent a very long journey in the centre seat of a Mercedes ML (to the Alps and back) I can tell you that having an adjustable headrest is critical. (Also worth mentioning it's useless in the L322 too but at least it looks nice!)

I love the signature LED headlights, they look awesome Thumbs Up

If I were speccing one up to an affordable level it would be:

Dark grey or black
Privacy glass
21" or 22" wheels
Tow bar
Panoramic roof
Ebony interior
Ebony headlining
The seats that allow the side bolster to be inflated (Not sure if that's a standard feature on the base level seats) Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #197174 2nd Jul 2013 7:59am
fairwx

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Luxor

You can switch off the Eco Start Stop using the button next to the Terrain Response dial.

Not much use to you now anyhow..

Post #197175 2nd Jul 2013 8:04am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Bellini wrote:

I'm very intrigued about your approval of the TDV6. Not having driven an L405 (yet), I can't argue or agree with your comments, but here's the rub. When commenting to peers / friends about my new purchase and the inevitable engine discussion rears its head, I'd have to whisper V6 rather than proudly state V8 as it would still seem that I'd not the funds or the motivation to buy a FF with the proper (traditional?) number of cylinders.

I know it's subjective and it's mainly in one's head, but that V6 / V8 thing would gnaw away at me all the time.

That aside, your report makes me like the L405 more and more. Thumbs Up

I have to agree with Bellini re the V8 - I wouldn't entertain a RR without one, it might be snobbish, call it what you will, but a RR without a V8 is missing something.

It is probably LR pandering to the Director Company Car Market with a cheaper model with Tax advantages due to engine size.

Personally I wouldn't entertain one and would be even less likley to entertain one on the second hand car market - why would you - after the main chunk of depreciation there will probably be very little in it between a S/H V6 and a TDV8. I would rather spend a little more getting the bigger engine and being happy with my decision rather than always wishing I had spend a few £ more. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #197190 2nd Jul 2013 9:41am
mcsims

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Fuji White

Great review. Looking forward to picking my TDV6 SE up next Saturday and driving it straight over to Germany Smile

Post #197194 2nd Jul 2013 9:49am
RRUK
Site Supporter

Vogue wrote:

Personally I wouldn't entertain one and would be even less likley to entertain one on the second hand car market - why would you - after the main chunk of depreciation there will probably be very little in it between a S/H V6 and a TDV8. I would rather spend a little more getting the bigger engine and being happy with my decision rather than always wishing I had spend a few £ more.

If I were buying new I'd go for the TDV6 on the basis of cost and how much I could afford right now but yes, I see your point, in a few years time you'd be able to get a 4.4SDV8 instead.

Right now I can't justify an L405, so will be looking for a 4.4TDV8, the highest spec I can afford, but this might be late this year even early next year, depends on work and commissions! Cool Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #197198 2nd Jul 2013 10:29am
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Great write up thanks Thumbs Up

I currently own from new a 12 4.4TDV8 & the engine/box are sublime.My previous RR was a 4.2SC,again sublime.The one before that was a TD6,cumbersome describes that but in fairness in 2004 it was ok as thats what you got in those days.Nowadays I imagine a TD6 would feel like driving around in a tractor/farm yard utility vehicle but thats still not to say it wasnt good 10 years ago,it was OK.

My point is this,I drove for a day in Oct last year a 3.0V6 L405 and I have to admit that the V6 felt perfectly acceptable and very quick indeed.The snobbish thing of what the "Jones`" think you should have is totally ridiculous,its your cash not there cash and lets be honest they probably could not afford a TD6 let alone a L405 in any guise!

I have on order a 4.4 L405 however I would and may change to a V6 yet,only time will tell. Very Happy If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #197220 2nd Jul 2013 1:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>