Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Steering Tilt adjustment: Problem fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Steering Tilt adjustment: Problem fixed

I had a problem which was intermittent and then got worse whereby the steering wheel wouldn't lift up when you removed the ignition key, and wouldn't come back down to memory setting once the key was replaced again.

When I went to alter it manually I'd find the first touch of the joystick would make the wheel 'twitch' (for want of a better description) but wouldn't move, but if released and tried again, the wheel would move as normal. (The reach adjustment was fine)

It got annoying though having to do this every time I drove the car.

I thought I needed a new tilt motor and bought one as spare, however when I removed all the cowls and got to the motor, plugged the loom plug into the new motor the same problem was there. So I thought it might have been the switch joystick.

I unplugged and plugged it in a few times and I've come to the conclusion that I was suffering from a dry joint issue and a potentially loose contact. Since putting it all back together I've not had the problem and the wheel moves up and down as it should do. It also adjusts on the first touch rather than the second.

I'm keeping hold of my spare tilt motor just in case.

Sometimes, a fix just happens by accident, and costs nothing. Brilliant! Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #197248 2nd Jul 2013 2:50pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

And here's a link to how to remove the cowling around the steering column

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic19396.html Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #197249 2nd Jul 2013 2:51pm
Budgie

Scotland 

Mine kept sticking at the top of the vertical movement and the only way to release it was to remove the cowl and put a spanner on the nut at the end of the vertical screw thread.

It's done this a couple of times now and rather than messing around with it every couple of weeks, I turned off the steering wheel memory function using my IID Tool.

I'm normally the only one driving the FF anyway and I don't have problems getting in & out without the steering wheel retracted so it's not worth worrying about in my book. Mr. Green 

Post #197257 2nd Jul 2013 3:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1