Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Best way to use the boot cubby behing the right wheel arch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mefster

Best way to use the boot cubby behing the right wheel arch?

Being new to FFRR ownership, I realised that although the boot is huge, it'd be handy to have a little secure cubby to store a few small items we like to carry in the car, to save them sliding all around the boot.

I see there is a little recess behind the right when arch of our L322, which has some toggles around the edge which I guess you can use to secure a net to keep things securely in the recess.

A couple of questions:

1. Can you easily replace the toggles (ours is missing 2)
2. Is there an original equipment net or storage accessory to fit this recess, or does anyone make a container that fits neatly into the space?

Post #201390 29th Jul 2013 4:36pm
DeRanged Rover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

I belie that the toggles can be replaced - email Dan and Duckworths (site sponsor) and he will tell you.

To answer your other question - Yes and Yes. I have both a net and a Range Rover OEM tray that fits into the recess (I used some velcro stuck on to ensure that it stayed in place and did not slide around (as it comes as part of a boot tray set which I did not want). - Ebay is your friend Wink Thumbs Up African Bush Junkie ... in London!

Stats:
2006 TD6 Vogue SE
1972-2015 DeRanged Rover
2001 P38 dHSE (SOLD)

Post #201391 29th Jul 2013 4:42pm
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Mine has a grey coloured plastic tray which slots into that recess. Its about 3" deep so I can use it to store some bits and pieces in it. When it stops bucketing down I'll take a photo of it and post it.
Chris

Post #201393 29th Jul 2013 4:47pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

The toggles are dead easy to replace. Simply insert and twist to lock them in place. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #201395 29th Jul 2013 4:56pm
shalz

Kenya 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Apologies to OP if I'm stating something he already knew but there is also a small storage compartment underneath that recess. There should be a leather tab where it meets the side wall and this flips open the lid. Would that suit your requirements? MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #201410 29th Jul 2013 7:12pm
NormanP

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Aintree Green

The spaces under the boot floor on the driver side are ideal size for the set of manuals, plus other stuff. As the OP may have discovered, there are also shallower storage spaces beneath the boot floor on the left too, I keep a rope and other small things there.

You don’t need to buy the (ridiculously expensive, as I recall) OEM nets etc.; for the princely sum of £1 I bought 4 bungee cords from the local market and they have proved exceptionally useful for the last 8 years in holding all the gubbins I carry around, fitted as a pair on each side in an X shape between the toggles. I have a fabric bag with a zipped cover bought from my local supermarket (nothing but the best quality here...) - the cords loop through the handle and hold it in place (easier to show than describe but this Board has yet to catch up with new-fangled stuff like showing images Laughing ) . I also have some longer stout bungee cords fitted to the big load space chromed D rings, and these are very useful for holding stuff like golf umbrellas. The L322 has loads of useful crannies like this. I think they’ve missed a trick with this sort of thing on the L405 and I’m going to miss them when I move on to the new model in a few weeks… Norman

Current LR: L405 Vogue TDV6 (MY 2014) Aintree Green/ Ivory interior
Past LR: L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 (2002); Discovery series1 V8 (1995)

Post #201412 29th Jul 2013 7:58pm
ahebron

New Zealand 

I am surprised no one has mentioned they are great for smuggling. Very Happy

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #202593 6th Aug 2013 8:57am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

that cubby hole is ideal for a bottle jack. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #202597 6th Aug 2013 9:09am
DeRanged Rover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

Or the tow bar if you have the detachable one African Bush Junkie ... in London!

Stats:
2006 TD6 Vogue SE
1972-2015 DeRanged Rover
2001 P38 dHSE (SOLD)

Post #202600 6th Aug 2013 10:04am
barracuda816

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Tonga Green

Mine is soon to have a second battery fitted in that space. It is perfectly positioned for a short wire run up to the 100amp perm live to the rear fuse box. Thumbs Up

Post #202603 6th Aug 2013 10:49am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

^^^^
I'm considering exactly the same thing.
Have you had any good ideas yet on how to secure the battery in place?

Post #202604 6th Aug 2013 11:01am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

^ make a fairly tight cardboard box around the battery ,insert into hole then use expanding foam to fill the gaps.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #202607 6th Aug 2013 11:20am
barracuda816

Depends on what battery you are going to fit.

I would recommend a fabric strap (if you are not too worried about looks an old seat belt would be ideal).

Then fit two threaded bars by drilling the holes at either end of battery. Install a large washer and the nut on the outside and a large nut and washer on the inside to lock the bar down (i would put a blob of silicone around it before you put the washer and nut on the inside).

Once you have done this all you need to do is cut the strap to length, cut a hole in both ends so they sit on the threaded bars and tighten down with a nut and washer.

This is slightly overkill, but the battery will not move in a collision. If you are going to fit the battery into the rear fuse box then you will need to fit a 80amp fuse as close to the battery terminal as you can. (you can pick the fuse and holder up on ebay for <£5).

You can leave it there, or go one step further and fit a VSR.

If you have no pyrotechnics then this is very easy. You will need to separate the two cables going to the main battery (one goes to the starter and alt, the other powers the computers). leave the starter cable attached to the battery and link the cable for the computers to the vsr, connect the input of the vsr to the main battery. Then fit a bypass switch (like one of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?m...Aod838ArQ) in parrallel to the vsr.

This has the benifit that you are almost never going to get stuck. The aux battery will power the computers and everything you plug in to the rangey, at this time the batterys will be separate. Then when you crank the engine over the starter will be pulling the power from the main battery. Then when the engine is running the alt will charge the main battery, then when the voltage reached the required level the VSR will link the two batterys so the alt will charge the aux battery.

If the aux battery is flat then all you have to do is flick the bypass switch over and you the will essentially be returning the original configuration, that will allow you too start the car and flick the bypass back off to charge the aux back up.

WARNING, YOU NEED TO USE YOUR COMMON WHEN WORKING WITH BATTERYS, THEY HAVE A MASSIVE CURRENT CAPACITY, IT CAN BURN YOU, CAUSE FIRES OR WELD SPANNERS TO YOUR BELOVED RANGEY!

Also if you dont know what a VSR is its a Voltage Sensitive Relat, you will need a dual voltage sensing one of atleast 100amp.

Post #202612 6th Aug 2013 11:42am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Are we both talking about fitting the battery in the above floor recess visible from the luggage area and not the recess below the floor?
I am looking to fit a battery in the visible recess and making a custom made ventilated trim panel to conceal it.
Just wondering how to fit it securely. Thumbs Up

Post #202645 6th Aug 2013 2:06pm
barracuda816

Embarassed

I thought he was talking about the under floor compartment.

Post #202677 6th Aug 2013 7:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>