Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Does a RR really need winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

yes - just for braking otherwise the 2.7 tons will drive for you Wink All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #207366 2nd Sep 2013 10:38am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Compelling video that doesn't surprise me apart from how bad the all season tyres are. They're really hardly any different from summer tyres.

Post #207382 2nd Sep 2013 11:45am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

someone should post video on d3 forum.... Whistle

Post #207385 2nd Sep 2013 11:58am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Can anyone read the sidewalls?

Click image to enlarge

Post #207391 2nd Sep 2013 12:24pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I think with the first pic the problem is with the driver rather than the tyres.

Post #207393 2nd Sep 2013 12:49pm
ianmacd

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green

[]

2nd one too. That hill is in Brighton and no way should he/she have tried going down it when it was that icy.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear the same from the 3rd.

People need to also adapt their driving in these conditions but they don't. Seen police idiots in X5's doing speeds far too fast for conditions in snow earlier this year. Good job the road was a straight one and, no they weren't on blues and two's either. Current: RR L322 2010
Past: RR L405 2017, RR L322 2012, 2008 & 2004, 2018 D5, 2016 Defender, 2011 D4, a few Disco2s, P38, RR Classic, couple of Disco1's, SIII SWB

Post #207396 2nd Sep 2013 12:53pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

A lot of people forget that having four wheel drive makes things worse when you are trying to brake or change direction. The added weight of the 4wd components gives the tyres more "work".

All cars have brakes on all 4 wheels and have had for many decades now, whether they are 4wd or 2wd.

4wd helps in gaining better traction and in certain cornering conditions (hence the use of 4wd in rallying but not in F1 for example where weight is extremely critical and there are other ways of maximizing traction).

The winter tyres, because of their rubber composition and different profile, gives (much) better traction than summer or all season tyres.

If I would be living in a "cold" country again, I would definitely buy a set of winter tyres, whether for the FFRR or other cars. Just imagine how much money it saves you if you stop just in time or hit the lamppost and have 1000s worth of damage to the car (forget about injuring people/animals for a minute). Winter tyres can save you a lot more than they cost !!! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #207402 2nd Sep 2013 1:00pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I lived in Germany for a couple of years. I drove an A8 quattro - the first 4WD car I had owned. In Germany you have to switch to winter tyre by the beginning of November.

I thought the 4WD system was brilliant. I could drive on snow like it was tarmac. However, the next year, it snowed in October - before I put the winter tyres on the car. Barely any traction at all - scary in fact.

It turns out it was the winter tyres that make the big difference NOT the 4WD. Important lesson learned for me.

Post #207432 2nd Sep 2013 2:08pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

the law changed - now you have to put on winter tyres depending on the weather ! Otherwise you lose your insurance cover ! Shocked All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #207440 2nd Sep 2013 2:18pm
BILLTU

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I think it all depends on where you live and where you go in your car. Spent eight years living in the Swiss alps and skied most weekends in the winter. When it's really bad the only thing that will allow you to drive is a set of chains. Cheapest option by far if your only worried about getting stuck on rare occasions in extreme weather. I'm working in Sweden now where they use studded tyres in the winter. Some of the roads in the north of the country have compacted snow on them for 4 months of the year so it is a sensible thing to do. In the south of the country it's no worse than the UK so nobody bothers with them. 2006 4.4 V8 Vogue SE
Honda CBR 1000cc Fireblade
Bultaco 350 Sherpa

Post #207483 2nd Sep 2013 3:30pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I once braked softly on a medium hill and slowly slid across the road until bumping up the Kerb on the other side of the road. It was sheet ice and winter tyres WOULD have made a difference. WATCH the video....

Post #207497 2nd Sep 2013 4:11pm
BILLTU

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I had the pleasure of driving a 325 BMW when I first lived in Switzerland. It was virtually undriveable in the snow on summer tyres. Winter tyes made a world of difference to it. I put the alloys and summer tyres in the boot to add a bit of weight over the back wheels. Couldn't get anything else in there but at least we never got stuck. 2006 4.4 V8 Vogue SE
Honda CBR 1000cc Fireblade
Bultaco 350 Sherpa

Post #207501 2nd Sep 2013 4:37pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Really, it depends on the weather in your area and what you are doing with your car.

If you're dealing with extreme winters, take long drives away from help and on roads that are often not cleared, then YES!

In urban environments, where there is road clearing and only a few snow days/year, I'd get a good M&S.

Excellent point above about cornering and stopping. All cars have four wheel brakes and (almost) all have two wheel steering. Never drive faster than the conditions, your vehicle and your skill can cope with (and that might mean ZERO on a bad weather day).

Post #207613 2nd Sep 2013 9:58pm
Fame

Portugal 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Ianmacd,
I am on Vreds Wintrac 4 extremes, and I find that they are exec len t tires, wet, on roads with " gelo" warning signs and dry roads to . I also read many of these tests before buying and could not understand nd how. Come other brands see m to test better for Winte r . Then I became. More. Critical in rea ding the s e test results . In my reading, I notic ed tha t the mediocre results were always for much lighte r. Vehicles than FFs.I started reviewing actual owner's reports, and tried to find compara ble , heavy SUVs. Immediatetely , results with high ratings. Our own forum, from actual users, with same. vehicle s give exce llent ra tings.
Censored this IPad and its crappy typing system!!!!!!!
Last one I buy for sure!!!!!
A number of USA reports seemed to show bursting sidewalks with othe r brands, Get the Vre ds with the HEAVY rating. Range Rover Vogue TD6 2002
Defender TD5 90Hard Top 2001
Range Rover Classic TDi 1994
Mercedes Benz 1959 220S Sedan

Post #207644 3rd Sep 2013 7:11am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Fame, just switch to Galaxy Note or Tab. My wife has a iPad (top spec) and found out it is not as good/versatile and capable as the Note myself and the kids have that costs half of what the iPad cost.

Funny your remark about Vreds, I also noticed on this forum that almost everyone using them on the FFRR is very happy with their performance. Interesting how the weight seems to be a big factor in determining the performance of a tyre. I wonder if Vredestein knows this as well so they can also design a "light vehicle" version Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #207647 3rd Sep 2013 7:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>