Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Need new winters - think it'll be Vreds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Yes it's not moved, but why know why Wink

And if something is that strong it can clean carbon build up of a solid metal during high compression cycles I would love to see how abrasive it is on the rest of the fuel system Sad FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #218767 25th Oct 2013 10:50pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

It cleans all the sticky gummy sludge/shlt left behind by 100k plus miles of cheap supermarket diesel and chip fat if present. Try it Whistle

Quote:
KP: Yes it's not moved, but why know why Wink

Last you told it had an injector failure....

Post #218769 25th Oct 2013 10:56pm
kingpleb

Still not convinced as I've seen a few engines with and without the addins and there's never much to tell them apart. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #218770 25th Oct 2013 11:06pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

KP that's easy the one with stuttering engines due to to dirty injectors are the ones that have not been treated with BG244 Diesel Fuel System Cleaner....

I have seen several cured within miles it makes sense mate, not sure why you don't get it. It cleans the whole system including injectors. It works I can personally vouch for that. Thumbs Up

Post #218771 25th Oct 2013 11:17pm
kingpleb

I know we are going way OT now so sorry Martin/Stan Smile

If your putting stuff like that in the tank you want to be doing it 2 tankfulls before your next service as well, but these are only one shot pricey deals that need to be done as part of a service routine.
BioD and 2 stroke can be chucked in every now and again as you feel like it without worrying about doing it before a service.

Looking at some of the ingredient ratios it looks like 1/2 the bottle is basically a diesel/petrol mix and the main thing doing the work is Polyetheramine. The stuff that makes up the carbon deposits is also what is part of the process for making fuel lines and so forth, so you can see why is be concerned about running it thru a fuel system.

Not meaning to have a dig or such like Gaz, just wanting to learn more about this stuff and while I can see glowing reports from the people who put it in I can't see anything from further down the road from them saying how the car was 12+months later. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #218776 25th Oct 2013 11:40pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

kingpleb wrote:
I know we are going way OT now so sorry Martin/Stan

*Cough* - it's actually my thread about winter tyres, and it's in the wheels and tyres section!

I've started another thread about this, which I will follow with interest.

Post #218800 26th Oct 2013 8:22am
kingpleb

Sorry David Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #218812 26th Oct 2013 8:53am
AJS4X4

stan wrote:
an indicator of a good tyre would be what other users in your area have on their cars ..if the majority have vredestein [or any other make] then there must be a good reason for that..

I think availability and price are factors to consider and with Vredestein we always seem able to keep good stock. Thumbs Up Andy....

www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk

01737 241370.

Always best to phone first.

Post #219596 29th Oct 2013 10:03pm

United Kingdom 

I'm a FFRR newbie and already benefitting from the experience (and expense) of other subscribers. First good advice on corroding tpm valves and latterly a cost effective source for 255.55.19 winter Vreds. Openeo was recommended on the site and delivered in all senses. Up to £50 per tire less than online competitors and fiirst class service. Tires came in 4 days.
Not yet had the conditions to prove effectiveness but have used the brand year round for nearly 20000 miles and still around 3m. Downsizing from 20" to 19" for the new winters makes a surprising improvement in ride,noise level ect.

Post #224125 20th Nov 2013 5:10pm
DBYT

United States 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

It dumped about a foot of snow today here in the Northeast of the US. Snowed all day and roads were largely unploughed. The Rangie with Vredsteins were superb. Great traction and lateral grip was tremendous in the snow. Roads were covered with 3-4 inches of snow. A lot of normal cars got stuck. Traction control and Abs did not kick in once today and I was out all day running errands. Am now a huge fan of the vredsteins. 2015 RR Supercharged - Aintree Green
2011 RR Supercharged - Galway Green
2013 Porsche 911S
2002 RR 4.6 HSE - Epsom Green

Post #236402 22nd Jan 2014 12:50am
KurtVerbose

Thumbs Up

To be honest, I think there's an excellent choice of winter tyres these days.

Post #236426 22nd Jan 2014 10:18am
DBYT

United States 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Was posting on rangerover.net about winter tyres and this was a response to my positive review of Vredsteins

Originally Posted by brad s1
My extra set of wheels came with those brand new.. IMO those are the worst snow tires I've ever run, so bad in-fact when I pulled them off I told the shop to throw them away. Strange because they get great reviews so I figured I'd give them a shot. Not sure if those reviews are from people coming from bawd tires or countries hard pressed for good snow tires but IMO they're terrible. Decent size hill on my street and the car would side step /lose traction the whole way up in snow... almost no stopping power in any type of snow condition, track horribly/lose lateral traction. I run Michelin/toyo's or for a similar price point to the Vredsteins Nokian Hakkapelitta's. I will say the Vredsteins are quiet and handle dry conditions well, but that's not a good sign when fitting an aggressive snow tire anyway.

Also in regard to running them all year round, don't do that... It destroys the tire. Winter tires are softer so they don't stiffen in cold/snow... They also have deeper grooves in the tread... If you're running those all summer by the time fall rolls around they're going to be more useless than they already are in the snow. Nokian offers a pretty nice all season snow tire, but for best results have a dedicated set of snow tires to swap out come winter.

I run Michelin Alpins on my Porsche but I think the Vredsteins perform way better in all conditions. Wonder what sort of conditions he must live in or drive in to have the Vredsteins be so utterly useless for his needs. 2015 RR Supercharged - Aintree Green
2011 RR Supercharged - Galway Green
2013 Porsche 911S
2002 RR 4.6 HSE - Epsom Green

Post #238400 31st Jan 2014 4:47am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

^ One voice singing in the wilderness I feel Whistle 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #238407 31st Jan 2014 6:57am
KurtVerbose

DBYT wrote:
Also in regard to running them all year round, don't do that... It destroys the tire. Winter tires are softer so they don't stiffen in cold/snow... They also have deeper grooves in the tread... If you're running those all summer by the time fall rolls around they're going to be more useless than they already are in the snow.

As someone who only runs them only in winter and am neutral on this, the experience of others is different. Plenty of people have run up huge mileage with them running through the whole year. Vreds don't seem to mind.

Correct, you shouldn't run winter tyres below 3mm. My last set (not Vreds) were 3mm at the end of the winter and I just ran them through the summer and bought new Vreds at the start of the next winter, but that's the only time I've run winter tyres in summer.

DBYT wrote:
Nokian offers a pretty nice all season snow tire, but for best results have a dedicated set of snow tires to swap out come winter.

Just what is that - an all season snow tyre? These Vreds are not snow tyres anyway, they're winter tyres. It's likely a dedicated snow tyre would be better, but even for me here in Switzerland driving on snow is infrequent.

Post #238420 31st Jan 2014 9:09am
KurtVerbose

Sorry DBYT, I know you're just quoting someone else. Thumbs Up

Post #238421 31st Jan 2014 9:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>