Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > How to Change Coolant Level Sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 
How to Change Coolant Level Sensor

Changing "Coolant Level" sensor in Coolant Tank
(base vehicle '02 TD6, may be different on other / later models)

Over time, the sensor (Part number PCJ000020) can stop working, or just become a bit over sensitive, and alert to low level of coolant even when coolant level is fine. You need to change the sensor.

It is located at the bottom of the coolant tank, found at the front on the left hand side of the engine bay, where you put coolant in Wink (left is always from the rear of the car)

Typically (for an FFRR Wink you can't easily see what you are doing with the coolant tank in place, so I have one out on the bench!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Removal and Replacement

My experience, on the bench, is that you can remove and replace the sensor without any coolant loss. You may have a different experience and therefore you have some choices:

1. A full, controlled drain down of the radiator via the drain valve.

2. Drain down the coolant tank by disconnecting the bottom pipe, catching what you can in the process.

3. Quick swap of sensor, catching lost coolant if you can.

The sensor is removed by:

1. removing the cable connector, pull towards rear of car

2. turning the sensor 90 degrees anticlockwise (as if you are looking at it from below, from the rear)

3. Pulling the sensor down and away. It is quite long, about 4 inches so take care not to damage if replacing same.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Replacement is the reverse of steps 1 to 3, and then follow coolant fill depending on your choice of coolant removal (if needed) Wink .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #211489 21st Sep 2013 7:00pm
666tur

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

My new sensor has a black plastic sleeve on the long narrow but that goes in the tank, is this removed before fitting? 2012 4.4TDV8 VSE
2004 TD6 132k miles- SOLD
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 Tithonus Ex Military
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9i V8 manual

Post #316459 5th Mar 2015 10:45pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Well done Tim Bow down

Nice and easy too.....come on Sir Stan, wiki it quick as we all know someone bound to ask in 6 months how to change it ! Sniggering If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #316462 5th Mar 2015 10:55pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

yee of little faith...already in the wiki.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #316466 5th Mar 2015 11:00pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I would add that it is possible to do similar on the TDV8.

I had my tank out recently with minimal coolant loss. the only hoses running to the tank are the main feed hose at the bottom of the tank and the small top breather/bleed hose.

I used a couple of brake hose squeeze off clamps to stop all the coolant leaking off while the tank was out, but other than that it was straight forwards. A top tip when re fitting the 10mm bolts holding the tank in is to wedge them into the socket you are using with a bit of tissue paper that way you don't drop the bolts into the engine bay!

didn't take the level sender out but from what i remember it was in a similar position and should be easily removable in a similar way. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #316469 5th Mar 2015 11:11pm
666tur

I changed my sensor, when I took it out no fluid came from the bottle yet I could see coolant in it, it was full to the correct level. When I drive the car over 60 mph I get the bong of the coolant level again. It seems bizarre, anyone have any thoughts before I remove the expansion tank. 2012 4.4TDV8 VSE

Post #323321 20th Apr 2015 1:15pm
Joe90

England 

Methinks the "sight glass" inside the tank becomes occluded, hence the sensor cannot detect the level/concentration (all done with light?) Only resolution so far is a new tank Big Cry .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #323380 20th Apr 2015 9:13pm
666tur

What's strange is it did not leak any coolant when I took the sensor out the bottom! I think I will try a new tank. It's bloody annoying. My RR maybe used a little less, got myself a defender for summer.

2012 4.4TDV8 VSE

Post #323381 20th Apr 2015 9:21pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Joe, i hate to state the obvious after the event but from memory (and it could be for the TDV8) a brand new coolant tank with sensor fitted is only a couple of quid more than the cost of just the sensor! Shocked

Makes far more sense to change the whole thing due to the issues above... And obviously the plastics etc will degrade over time so makes sense to change it all for not much more! Bow down

Post #323392 20th Apr 2015 10:46pm
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

This 'sensor' is nothing more than 2 thin steel strips that normally are not touching each other to complete a (low power) electric circuit. They are encased in a glass tube for support and protection. When a magnet is close enough both pieces of steel become magnetised in the same phase and they attract each other to close the circuit [edited to invert wrong logic in original post Embarassed ]. Being magnetically 'soft' they loose their magnetism as soon as the external magnetic field is removed and spring back apart.

Inside the expansion tank there is a donut shaped float which has a donut shaped magnet attached. This is fitted to a hollow tube coming up from the bottom of the tank which houses the 'sensor'. When the float is high the magnet doesn't effect the 'sensor', but when it drops lower it does.

The magnetic sensor is also known as a reed switch and can be purchased for about $1. 60 seconds with a soldering iron can swap a new one in place of a broken one. If that is the fault Whistle, use a multimeter and a magnet to check (a fridge magnet will be strong enough at close range). Of course it is just as likely that the magnet has fallen to the bottom of the tank Big Cry. Does anyone know of a glue that works under antifreeze?

Click image to enlarge

I've added a label to the original poster's picture. Just snip the wires to remove a faulty reed switch and solder a replacement in.

Last edited by bgennette on 10th Nov 2017 4:21am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #446595 4th Aug 2017 5:06am
Joe90

England 

ref: posts above from me and Cam Tech Craig

If the problem is with the "float" or internals then no amount of fixing the sensor will make any difference. Crying or Very sad

However it really helps to understand how it all works Thumbs Up

Any glue should do as the sensor and sensor housing is not "in" the coolant Smile .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #446647 4th Aug 2017 7:02pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

bgennette wrote:
This 'sensor' is nothing more than 2 thin steel strips that normally are touching each other to complete a (low power) electric circuit. They are encased in a glass tube for support and protection. When a magnet is close enough both pieces of steel become magnetised in the same phase and they repel from each other to open the circuit Cool. Being magnetically 'soft' they loose their magnetism as soon as the external magnetic field is removed and spring back together.

Inside the expansion tank there is a donut shaped float which has a donut shaped magnet attached. This is fitted to a hollow tube coming up from the bottom of the tank which houses the 'sensor'. When the float is high the magnet doesn't effect the 'sensor', but when it drops lower it does.

The magnetic sensor is also known as a reed switch and can be purchased for about $1. 60 seconds with a soldering iron can swap a new one in place of a broken one. If that is the fault Whistle, use a multimeter and a magnet to check (a fridge magnet will be strong enough at close range). Of course it is just as likely that the magnet has fallen to the bottom of the tank Big Cry. Does anyone know of a glue that works under antifreeze?

Click image to enlarge

I've added a label to the original poster's picture. Just snip the wires to remove a faulty reed switch and solder a replacement in.

Reed switches are open circuit. Only when an external magnetic source is introduced does the circuit close causing the warning. When the float sinks due to low coolant, the magnet within becomes close enough to effect and close the switch.
&t=106s 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #446706 5th Aug 2017 3:07pm
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Joe90,
to quote you "If the problem is with the "float" or internals then no amount of fixing the sensor will make any difference. Crying or Very sad " Well, I am glad to inform you that you were "wrong" Very Happy

first thank you for the post on how to remove the switch and wayneg explaining how the switch works.

after that it was clear that the switch is a sturdy little device and short of contact being corroded or broken, switch was probably OK. so that left me with the "floating dougnath". out with expansion tank and as can be sean in the picture my was dirty and oily.

pull the switch out (no twisting, just straight out) and it tested OK with magnet applied.

when shaking the tank i could not hear the flot. next i poured some petrol in - 1/2 litar worth. shuke the tank for a while,
you could see gasoline cleaning the walls of the tank. pour the petrol out , HD degreaser with hot water in more shaking and then i connected garden hose and flush everything for few minutes. thank was now clean and i can heare floth moving.

put the tank on the bench with multimeter connected pour distilled water in and the switch was ON, then i pour 50/50 mix and the switch was OFF. put everything beck in the car and Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

Post #446919 7th Aug 2017 9:36am
Joe90

England 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #447000 7th Aug 2017 8:39pm
alfapat

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Thanks for all the contributions on here to this thread,Ill get onto this at the w/e, having to use RR DAILY JUST NOW DUE TO MY CAR BREAKING A ROAD SPRING ...MORE JOBS !

Post #560598 8th Jul 2020 10:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1