Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Heater matrix - no cabin heat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Baz1975

Northern Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Firenze Red
Heater matrix - no cabin heat

Hi All, having issues with no cabin heat at all, front or back.

Engine temp all fine, heating up with no issues. So today checked all pipes and one seemed cold from the heater matrix, engine off and removed both pipes from matrix (quick connectors) put hose on one side and not very much comes out the other pipe, change to the other way and too much back pressure to allow the water to flow.
Seems the matrix is blocked and therefore no cabin heat.

My question, anyone had this done and if so what sort of cost is involved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Barry Current: 2015 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
Old: 2011 4.4 TDV8.... OMG
Old: 2003 TD6 HSE Java Black
Work: 2016 VW T6 140

Post #644968 6th Oct 2022 9:15pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Heater core might be part number LR036364 from what I can see. Looking at pictures of it, I cant see that there should be any valves in it blocking flow when the car is off. That being said, I don’t think I’ve known heater cores to block up as such personally.

I don’t have the workshop manual to advise on how difficult the job would be. That being said, having replaced a condenser matrix in an evoque last year, it ended up being the driver side dash, steering column and pedals out … i.e. a complete pig of a job because the matrix couldn’t slide sideways without hitting the column and pedals. There is probably a lot more space in the FFRR though in that regard.

The matrix I think is similar to the one in the sport, and there is one on eBay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264552472001?mk...media=COPY

Picture 3 shows the matrix and its pipes running round the side of it to where they would go through the bulkhead.

Personally I’d be tempted to have a good go at flushing it back and forward to try and loosen up the sludge. Hose on back and forth, a big syringe drawing suction on the pipes, drain cleaner, mr muscle, you name it, I’d be trying it before undertaking the job or replacing it ! Rolling with laughter V8 or else ...

Post #644974 6th Oct 2022 11:54pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

It usually gets blocked if the coolant mix is too weak (too much water = corrosion = rust particles) or the coolant hasn't been replaced or mixed with the wrong type of coolant.
The first thing to try is a hosepipe alternating from one side to the other until it starts to shift - then keep going because what you think is 'clear' will be only part of the blockage.
I wouldn't recommend any chemicals other than household detergent as anything stronger may attack the aluminium, although some of the central heating boiler unblockers may be ok provided they are aluminium safe.

Changing the heater core isn't a nice or quick job, persevere with flushing, but don't be tempted to use a jetwash!

Post #644982 7th Oct 2022 8:23am
marcochezzi

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

That white curved concertina like panel is the air recirculate flap.. Mine was broken where the stepper motor connects to the unit, why I have no idea, but in essence it just flopped about in the casing adding no real value..

When I queried the situation with JLR they said no problem, can be fixed, however to get to it necessitates removal of the entire heater core which is a complete dash out situation, and If I recall they might well have said the steering column as well..

With that said, I thanked them and drove away, the thought of an entire dash out repair and the possible aftermath brought sweat in abundance, I simply had to run..

So yes, if you need to remove that which you need to, its an entire dash out affair, good luck, if you do it it would be nice of you to post a few pics....

Post #644999 7th Oct 2022 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1