Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Very Poorly FF!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
Very Poorly FF!!!

Went up to the Lleyn Peninsula with the tin tent on Friday for the weekend. Stopped in Pwllheli for LPG, when I started up again I had 'HDC Inactive' in the display, followed by suspension inactive. Stopped the engine and re-started, warnings disappeared. Drove to the tin tent site with no further issues, FF was running fine.

Sat morning, went to drive the 2 miles to Aberdarron for the papers etc. Started up, warnings as above. Ran the engine for 2 - 3 mins, switched off and re-started, all seems OK. Started to wonder if I was having the dreaded battery gremlins. Drove to Aberdarron, after about 1 mile engine cut out. Re-started, I now had 'transmission fault, limited gears available ' in the display.

Got to Aberdarron, did what I had to do, and on starting up to come away, had the 'transmission fail' as above in the display, along with a display of disco loghts in the dash (ABS, Brakes, HDC etc etc).
Banging Head
When I got back to the site, I left the engine running, and put my trusty AVO across the battery - 14.5v. so charging OK. Now. I thought, turn off and measure the cranking voltage - HA HA - no cranking or anything from the FF other than Land Rover in the central display, turning to sat nav as expected, and 'key in ignition' in the display. On inserting the key however, the steering lock was disengaging. Battery voltage was about 12.5. Banging Head

Decided to call out 'the man who can', rang them, they advised they would be sending a local garage. Guy turned up, he was unable to connect his snap-on diagnostic tool to the diagnostic socket, it just continually showed 'establishing communications'. Banging Head Banging Head

He connected his jump start leads to the FF, still nothing other than the steering lock disengaging and the sat nav coming on - all warning lights on the dash were out, and 'key in ignition' on the display.
he checked all the fuses at some length, including in the engine ECU bay, and those in the rear compartment as well as the main fuse box. Couldn't find anythig wrong, and eventually came to the conclusion that it could be the ignition swittch, as it was recognising the key but nothing else. Big Cry

Arranged relay for today. yesterday, tried dismantling the centre console to get at the ignition switch with a veiw to metering it and seeing if his diagnosis was correct, but got so far but no further as didn't want to damage the gear lever or the handbrake lever, and didn't have access to RAVE to see how to do things. After I had done this however, the steering lock is no longer disengaging, although the headlights and interior lights will come on, and I still get 'key in ignition' on the central display. Big Cry Big Cry

AA relay turned up this morning, I was originally going to get him to bring the FF and the Tin tent back home, and then get on to RAVE to have a go at the switch. he advised howver that if I found I couldn't repair it, they would charge (a small fortune in his words) to move it to a repairer, whereas if I asked him to take it to a garage today it would be free.

Rang Cambrian, usual story, they were totally uninterested in helping (I have had this before from them, I get the impressoion that if it isn't fair;ly new, and wasn't bought from them, they don't want to know). Big Cry Big Cry

They advised I contact Davis Land Rover at Llanybydder, who are apparently Land Rover approved - has anyone had any dealings with these people, and if so could they PM me with their impressions please?

At least Davis have agreed to look at it, it is being relayed there today, but they can't do anything with it until next week. Crying or Very sad

So I live in hope that it is something not too expensive, and would be grateful for any clues. Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #269520 7th Jul 2014 4:24pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I'd go with a duff battery Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #269533 7th Jul 2014 5:04pm
Benfelrr

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

My car's ignition / steering lock ECU has just failed and I am pretty sure the garage said there were fault codes logged, so hopefully if it is a steering lock ECU problem it wont be too difficult to identify. I sincerely hope for you it is not the steering lock / ignition / immobilisation ECU as my bill is going to be over £3,000.00 .

I certainly had none of the symptoms you described and whilst by no means an expert like these guys on here, it is very unlikely that the transmission has failed as well as a steering related issue so would sound more like electrical gremlins like battery issues.

Maybe a bit more of a pain to sort, but hopefully a lot cheaper. I have known of 4 RRs where assorted error messages etc. have come up and it has all been down to electical related problems, none of which were too expensive to fix. Good luck, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon. 2003 VW Golf V6 4motion
2001 Range Rover Vogue 4.6
1982 Range Rover in VOGUE
1990 Range Rover Vogue SE
2007 Audi A6 Avant Le Mans Quattro S-Line 3.0 TDI
2007 Skoda Ovtavia 2.0 TDI L&K
2007 GSX-R 750 K7

Post #269538 7th Jul 2014 5:12pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Did you/have you tried a battery reset?

Post #269549 7th Jul 2014 6:19pm
Full Fat Ray

Yes Craig, having seen a lot of posts on here over the last few months, I did follow the battery disconnection procedure, shorted out the battery leads, and then re-connected the battery, (prior to calling out the AA on saturday), unfortunately didn't change anything.

having read the likely bill for the relevent ECU in another post on here just now, am praying that:-

a). thats not my problem

or

b). I win euromillions tomorrow.

Thanks for your responses guys Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #269553 7th Jul 2014 6:56pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Sounds battery Ray, borrow mine to see if it helps, I have a spare one just firing the electric fence. If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #269567 7th Jul 2014 8:49pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Ray, may or may not be of use, I had a similar issue a couple of years back which after a shed load of toing anfd froing turned out to be the instrument cluster, had all power to car, lights etc but unusual messages, had to be done at a stealer (may have changed now), was about £1000, as an aside the stealer engineer remarked to my Indy who picked it up that it was 'only fit for the scrappy'...... nice Rolling with laughter

Post #269571 7th Jul 2014 9:00pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine did very similar.... was the battery, even though a snap on tester said it was OK, if there not spot on, the truck doesn't like it.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #269581 7th Jul 2014 10:32pm
Full Fat Ray

Thanks for the help guys, I would have thought battery myself, but when garage man connected his jump leads on Sat, despite 13.5v available, nothing was happening. Question Question 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #269589 7th Jul 2014 11:07pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Thats why I would discount the battery unfortunately, I had full power and still nothing, hope its not that Thumbs Up

Post #269590 7th Jul 2014 11:10pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I would go battery as well. Got to be the cheapest and easiest thing to try. These monsters don't like have a battery which isn't 100%. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #269600 8th Jul 2014 12:52am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

In addition to the battery I suggest to also look at the alternator. Have it checked by a good auto electrician because it can goose the battery and upset the voltage/current of the system if not working properly, independent of the battery and not always switch the generator fault light on.

Also have a look for bad connections, like the ground cable to the chassis and the clamps on the battery poles. Check the cables themselves (breaks especially).

It looks electrical but could be lot more than battery itself.

Does it happen with the tin ten connected as well or only or not ??? The trailer harness and tin ten wiring can also cause headaches sometimes Evil or Very Mad

Sometimes we forget that the old school problems of bad connections/resistance/bad cabling etc. haven't gone away. Since your car is "of a certain age" it may just be simple old school issues at work here, at least I hope !! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #269601 8th Jul 2014 1:57am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I had a similar issue several years ago on an 06MY it was the ignition switch - £300 odd at mainagent sorted it 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #269602 8th Jul 2014 7:25am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I remember another post on ignition switch where the barrel was left in place and only the switch itself was replaced. I thought it cost a lot less, maybe check with Dan of Duckworth what the price of the switch itself is before ordering via main dealer and the likes.

You can't be in a rush as you have the tin tent to sleep in Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #269604 8th Jul 2014 8:03am
Full Fat Ray

Back home as of yesterday, FF at Davis in Llanybydder this afternoon, they are very busy and have said they may not get to it until next Monday, but will try to fit it in earlier if they have a gap appear.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that its not an ECU fault. Crying or Very sad 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #269688 8th Jul 2014 3:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>