Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Oil warning light....or lack of
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
StevieH

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Oil warning light....or lack of

Finally decided to get my hands dirty and do an oil service myself. Went to Halfrauds and was quoted £40 for a filter...no thanks mate don't need a gold one, paper will do fine. Bought a full service kit from Ebay for £70 from Britpart (oil, air and pollen filters and 8 spark plugs).

Borrowed a Pela pump from my neighbour who swears by it and got down to it. After about 40 minutes i had only succeeded in getting 4.5 litres of oil out and was getting a bit peaved off with pump so decided i would chuck it and fill up with new oil and do another sump plug out change the next day.

Duly stuck 4.5litres of new oil back in and checked dip stick...no trace of any oil, put another 3 litres in and finally got level to where it should be. By my maths I was running about for who knows how long with about 3 litres of oil or so short and yet no oil warning lights.

Anybody got any thoughts on whether I could have done any damage and is there something i should be checking sensor wise to make sure all is well with oil level monitoring.

Rest assured i will be checking dip stick more frequently from now on.......oh and had to give pump back with humble apologies as it was nearly getting kicked up the street. Embarassed Rolling with laughter

Post #18392 17th May 2010 7:55pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

There is no oil level monitoring (on bmw 4.4 anyway), just oil pressure - by which time it will be too late. 

Post #18394 17th May 2010 8:34pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

My 4.4 has an oil volume measuring device called a dip stik, anyone who does not use one regularly is one. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #18438 18th May 2010 6:08pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

On this note, I checked my oil today, on the stick. Then 5 minutes later I started her up and got STOP ENGINE! Oil Pressure! turned her off, checked the level again 3/4 full started her up and no warning. My heart can't take that again! 

Post #18451 18th May 2010 8:01pm
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

My 4.4, BMW, has never had the oil topped up since I have owned it, nearly five years and coming up to 100,000 miles.

It is changed at the prescribed service interval but does not use any inbetween.

Ian

Post #18469 19th May 2010 12:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1