Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > They do work - LED rear Tail/Fog light bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

s=single and d=double, are for the contacts on the bottom of the bulb..

the W,U, and Y are for the pin configuration..

s/c have clear/red bulbs,and i'm pretty sure the normal 2006-2009 have red/red bulbs

Post #233727 9th Jan 2014 9:50am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Thanks for that Stan.

As for pin configuration goes, as Craig suggested, if you want to do so, you can carefully file one of the pins down to amend the bulbs fit your own holders.

What's the difference/ any foreseeable issues with using double contact bayonet bases as opposed to single contact bases (obviously, the OE bulbs on the SC were double contact upper/ single contact lower and the LED bulbs I fitted were double contact. Both worked with no issues, regardless of the contact make up)?

Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 9th Jan 2014 10:59pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #233770 9th Jan 2014 12:54pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

normally with double contact bulbs one contact would be for tail for instance and the other for fog [21w/5w]

as one of the bulbs in ours has a single contact i assume that only one signal [5w tail] is going to that bulb so the double contact should be ok..i would check when the fogs are switched on to see that both bulbs are not illuminated..

Post #233772 9th Jan 2014 1:13pm
pld118

4 x free replacement rear tail/ fog LED arrived today to replace the first lot that broke due to the incorrect bayonet pin settings (with an invoice saying they are white and not red).

So I'll start filing down one of the bulb pins, modify it to fit and hopefully, that will prove that 'white' was a misprint and that they are indeed what I ordered... red! Wink

Really good seller though. Every time any issues with their bulbs, they've sent replacements without quibble and before even receiving my returns Thumbs Up

Post #234134 11th Jan 2014 8:41pm
pld118

Top tip

I've just safely, easily and quickly managed to fit the 4 x double contact dual filament replacement rear red tail/ fog bulbs thanks to a top tip from Cam Tech Craig that the bayonet pins can be filed down to make the bulbs fit into the bulb housing; and also thanks to a tip from Stan to only file down the bottom pin ensuring that the bulbs still sit securely once in the housing. Well in fact, despite carefully filing down the bottom pin on each bulb, both pins do still work to hold the bulb in place.

These 4 x rear LED bulbs cost £27.50 delivered, they work just the same way as the OE ones did and they look great when illuminated. A deeper, crisper, clearer and more consistent red than the OE incandescent bulbs and whilst brighter, they are not too bright at all and again, they do look OE. The fog light aspect of the bulbs also works. There are no errors or bulb warning with these bulbs.

Happy/ thanks for the tips Thumbs Up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1157-BAY15d-P21-...4572573901

Post #234765 14th Jan 2014 1:09pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

damn you Ryan, i have to go and buy some now... Laughing

glad it worked out ok on these.. its surprising that you even get any light from the OE bulbs considering the very small filaments but i suppose having two makes up for it..

btw , do the fogs work ok with the leds?

Post #234795 14th Jan 2014 2:42pm
pld118

Stan,

Damn yourself, you gave me part of the tip that resulted in the safe prep and installation of the bulbs. Without that, the replacement set of bulbs would have been powder in my hands... just as the first set were!

Rolling with laughter

Note - These bulbs cannot cope with being inserted or removed by means of hand manipulation into and out of the bulb holders via holding the upper plastic frame/ SMD light part. You must manipulate the lower, metal base from the area of the protruding rim downwards or you will damage the bulbs, guaranteed; and with these particular bulbs and the L322, you will only be able to do it properly by filing down the lower bayonet pin which takes seconds per bulb (they are well made bulbs, they are just not designed to be shoved in and pulled out via the upper part).

The top LED tail bulb (item 8 on thread starting diagram) appear to operate at twice the strength of the bottom LED tail bulb and I checked the SC with the rear LED in the offside and the OE bulbs working on the nearside and so, the LED bulbs are mimmicking what the OE bulbs do.

@ Stan - The rear LED fog bulbs do work and I tested them also, via side by side comparison with the OE fog bulbs. When the OE fogs iluminate, the effect is that it is more noticable than when activating the LED fogs but I consider the reason for that is because the OE tail bulbs are so poor/weak to start off with, when the OE fog aspect of this dual purpose bulb is illuminated, naturally the bulb boosts and becomes notably brighter. You do notice when the LED fog bulb is on and when it is off.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 14th Jan 2014 6:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #234804 14th Jan 2014 3:08pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

very interesting , thanks mate.. Thumbs Up

Post #234807 14th Jan 2014 3:17pm
Wayne Grover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Cairns Blue

Oddly I think on my 2006 the upper dual filament bulb just uses the one filament - just a tail light with no fog - and the lower single filament uses a lower voltage as a tail light and higher voltage (12v) as a fog on the same single filament.

Post #245733 2nd Mar 2014 10:45am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

correct wayne.. Thumbs Up

Post #245740 2nd Mar 2014 11:10am
pld118

Didn't last long!

After about 2 months use, one of four of these rear tail bulbs has failed. Rear fog error warning on dash and a check of the offside LED bulb found the bulb only partially illuminated.

Supplier HQ autobulbs UK says send it back to them, they will check it and hopefully replace as might be a manufacturing defect.

Has anyone else bought these and if so, how have they performed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1157-BAY15d-P21-...4572573901

Post #280960 14th Sep 2014 6:36pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

I Have a version of that:

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/380-red-5...5658-p.asp Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #281525 17th Sep 2014 12:20pm
pld118

Yours look of a much more robust and solid design than the ones I've used Steve... and cheaper!

Yours are designed like the front sidelight LED upgrade bulbs I bought.

Also, with my LED tail fog bulbs I had to file down the bayonet fixing pins as the pin offsets were not an exact match for the L322 bulb holder. I take it yours don't require any such messing?

Thanks

Thumbs Up

Post #281527 17th Sep 2014 12:36pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Sorry these would be the same pin arrangement as the ones in your ebag link, I will sort my next bulb order in the coming couple of days so will have an option for you in a few weeks if you want.

However, yes robust lot, I quite like this manufacturer, they do things by the book by my experience so far. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #281529 17th Sep 2014 12:52pm
Petru

Russia 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Baltic Blue

Can anyone tell me the reason why the upper dual filament bulb just uses the one filament (5W) for the tail lamp, with the 21W filament not used by any function. And the lower single filament uses a lower voltage as a tail light and higher voltage (12v) as a fog on the same single filament.

Any logic?

Post #358245 23rd Nov 2015 2:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>