Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > reduced engine performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey
reduced engine performance

got this ping up yesterday evening with a flashing CEL for a few seconds , car certainly was reduced in performance , couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Anyway some digging revealed this:-

LM - New Range Rover
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title AJV8 4.2 Supercharger Auxiliary Coolant Pump
Last Modified 14-MAY-2009 17:09
Category Engine
Symptom 402000 Cooling System Concerns

Content
Issue: Supercharger auxiliary coolant pump concerns. The customer may complain of reduced power and or a misfire at high engine loads and road speeds.

Cause:
1) If in the following vin ranges 6A198058-7A261419 (LM Range Rover) 5A901924 - 7A109767 (LS Range Rover Sport) then please refer to Technical Bulletin LTB00041v2.
2) A concern may exist where the supercharger auxiliary coolant pump is found to be not running, this could be due to internal motor brush wear. This issue was rectified from VIN numbers 8A290432 (LM Range Rover) and 8A181100 (LS Range Rover Sport).

Procedure for replacing the supercharger coolant pump can be found in Global Technical Reference (GTR) under section 303-03D – Supercharger Cooling. Repair Time 26.50.26 – Auxiliary coolant pump (AJV8 supercharged) – renew – 0.80hrs
Action: Please renew the supercharger auxiliary coolant pump as necessary, part number PEB500010.

sure enough my VIN was in the group effected and on inspection of the TSB here

http://landroverforums.com/forum/alldata.p...neid=3969/

I did find that the pump was wired to run backwards!!

thought this would have been evident earlier in the cars life tbh , but will see how it goes for the time being with a view to buying and fitting a new pump should the error pop up again

Its worth checking if your car is in the group that may be effected and its just a matter of removing the front grill and N/S headlight to access the pump and check the fitting/wires

Post #231712 28th Dec 2013 12:42pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Thanks for posting that TSB , for a while now I have wondering when they rectified this and although not so good for you I find my vin No is comfortably after Thumbs Up
The coolant pump being wired backwards is a relatively well known thing though just didn't know when the fixed it. 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #231731 28th Dec 2013 1:53pm
crispy2

Australia 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Hi, whilst away on holiday over the Christmas break, I got the "Reduced Engine Performance" warnng and coinciding an almost complete loss of power. I moved off the road and bonnet up for a while and engine off. As I had read about this particular issue from years back before I'd even got my S/C, I immediately thought this was the cause - the S/C coolant pump being wired backwards.

So I took it in for a required service anyway and they reported no fault codes and I mentioned the TSB to be told this would be my issue to resolve. Thats ok - I will.

I took a close look at the pump and read the part number off the sticker on it - PEB500080. Yes it finishes in "80". When I search for this part number it is nowhere coming up as recognised. The part number quoted in the TSB is PEB500010 which is locatable at a number of places. Anyone know about the part number I have? Pump looks identical in the flesh to numerous pics I have seen.

Also, as the TSB states the wiring is configured backwards in the pin, how do I diagnose whether this has been put right on my car? Does anyone have the colour coding/pin location information or a pic?

This issue above was also joined by the lower tailgate failing to operate and the DVD cassette no longer ejecting. I can see there is one of the 6 disc trays 'out' of the cartridge and not returning to allow the cassette to eject. My car is a low km one that I've had for 3 months now and was rarely used - I suspect it is a case of non use and dried up grease. I've read a number of threads where others have dismantled and relubricated the moving bits and refitting with success. I will try the same.

Thumbs Up '07 4.2 S/C
'13 X3M

Post #305238 15th Jan 2015 11:54am
crispy2

Hi folks, I'm trying to find out what the wiring configuration would be on the plug if my supercharger aux pump was still wired wrong.

Has nayone who has looked into this or can even extract the details from the TSB outline what I would look for when I unplug the pump.

I dont know for sure that the incorrect wiring from factory has been put right previously.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.

Thumbs Up '07 4.2 S/C
'13 X3M

Post #307649 24th Jan 2015 2:07pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

My SC fell in to the bracket of those with the aux coolant pump wired the wrong way around.

Looking at the wiring, someone has been in and swapped them around yet I still got the occasional REP when driving hard.

New Aux coolant pump and the problem is solved. Thumbs Up

It seems that having run backwards for so long and then spinning in the correct direction still gave the occasional fault.

Thanks LR. Another manufacturing error that you are more then happy to shrug your shoulders and walk away from....... Rolling Eyes 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #307800 25th Jan 2015 12:44am
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

crispy2 wrote:
I dont know for sure that the incorrect wiring from factory has been put right previously.

Mine had insulation tape......it was very obvious! 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #307801 25th Jan 2015 12:46am
crispy2

Ok, thanks SKOT. I have the replacement pump coming to me and due Tuesday so I will install at next opportunity and swap the wiring around. It was not that dear so not worth not doing asif the REP were to occur how popular would I be if I said I wanted to save two hundred bucks! It is going to work hard towing the 2.5 tonne van and it can get quite warm here.

Was a warm 46C the other day up north!

Cheers.

Thumbs Up '07 4.2 S/C
'13 X3M

Post #307806 25th Jan 2015 2:42am
scotbruce

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Just had restricted performance come on at the Forth Road Bridge on the way down to Edinburgh and just managed to limp into Edinburgh city centre.
Not apparent ie no dashboard fault indication at idle after re-start. Me not mechanical, even enough to check/change any split hose, so it'll either get me back home or it won't and we'll be getting back in a recovery vehicle!
Hope my after-sales warranty covers it!
Big Cry

Post #309698 1st Feb 2015 3:46pm
scotbruce

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Car picked up yesterday, turbo hose replaced and returned, washed, today, without charge. Good stuff Very Happy
Funny that the fault didn't recur on the return journey?

Post #311211 6th Feb 2015 6:41pm
crispy2

Ok Scotbruce, I see you have a TDV8. The REP warning within this thread above is unique to the S/C engine (the Supercharger coolant pump running in reverse) but clearly it can happen with a TDV8 as well.

Glad you got it sorted though.

Pete.

Thumbs Up '07 4.2 S/C
'13 X3M

Post #311278 6th Feb 2015 11:12pm
crispy2

Good morning, I did the changeout of the S/C coolant pump today. it was a Censored of a job. I flicked the spring wire clip off the electrical connector and lost that so had to figure out an alternative for that. I had the replacement pump on hand in readiness to install but I pulled the volute cover off the old centrif pump to prove it was still wired "wrong". It was - still spinning in the opposite direction for a centrif pump. So I was glad to be sure of that not having been previously corrected - and further reinforcing the fault that previously occured being a genuine fault.

There isn't much wire length left of the harness to cut and resolder in reversed polarity but got there eventually.

Back together and fluid filled up, coolant bled and all back together ok.

I really wont know ive fixed the problem unless I have a recurrence of the REP warning.

I suppose many on here have indicated that correcting in the way outlined here has cured the problme for them, so I presume it will for me too.

I am glad the Fatty is back to it's former self.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up '07 4.2 S/C
'13 X3M

Post #314728 25th Feb 2015 11:28am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Top job, glad it's sorted, that's what makes us love them, they need constant attention.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #314748 25th Feb 2015 12:31pm
gpzjamie

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Santorini Black

Hi Guys, i realise that this is an old post, but, i have just had to replace my pump due to Land Rovers error, i lost power went onto reduced performance mode , so had it checked out, my Range is 2006 offs, how many times have land rover had the oppertunity to repair this in the cars life ?? it should have been a recall, or at least a service bulletin for the 4.2 supercharged. well, thats me 300 quid out of pocket........ jamie

Post #337385 14th Jul 2015 7:06pm
jeep948

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Mariana Black

I have the same issue and my new pump arrived today, Sunday is the day for fitting. Has anyone got the 'Procedure for replacing the supercharger coolant pump can be found in Global Technical Reference (GTR) under section 303-03D – Supercharger Cooling. Repair Time 26.50.26 – Auxiliary coolant pump (AJV8 supercharged) – renew – 0.80hrs'.

Any tips before i attempt myself would be appreciatted.

Thanks in Advance... Range Rover P38 4.0 HSE
Range Rover Sport 4.2 Supercharged

Post #340184 31st Jul 2015 11:33pm
vnitos

South Africa 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

also looking for this. thanks

Post #342032 12th Aug 2015 1:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>