Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > my new carx project almost done
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
my new carx project almost done

hi all,
i have been working on my new project, carx is based on the pr-touch screen system with the ibus so you later owners will not be able to use it..this system uses the existing audio system but by adding a pc you can turn you average audio system in to an all singing and dancing system..
mp3,avi,digital TV and radio,radar,reversing camera,nav ect...
the best ting it uses what you have there,no chopping around.
you can even surf the web from inside your car..

This is what you will see on you nav screen,it replicates the RR existing menu so when you flick over from car to pc you will not even notice it has done apart from the list of new options

here's a video of it working.
&feature=related
In this video he has lost hi cd player but have not lost any thing,i used an acer one netbook that fits perfectly above the dvd player or nav unit.

I have about 5000 mp3's and about 100 music videos and it uses the tape input for sound.
not long now just have to get to the radio and see what wires go to plug B,

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #19483 6th Jun 2010 3:43pm
Duke Thrust

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Interesting stuff!!

Post #20095 14th Jun 2010 3:50pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Please keep us updated on how it's working. Apparently CarX has a bug or 2. It can send out erroneus signals on the i-Bus or distort i-Bus comms leading to weird symptoms (read on a E39 board).

Do some pics of your install and some screenshots in car! 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #20316 16th Jun 2010 1:13pm
daveo

hi, at a stand still, waiting on a lead for the audio, don't want to chop any wires at this point. have not had any probs so far but still only testing, found a few sites on updating monitor to vga as this is the only thing that lets the upgrade down, don't get me wrong when running its excellent but the use of a vga screen makes the picture pin sharp.
daveo V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #20379 16th Jun 2010 11:45pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Agreed - but large amount of work.

Actually, I'd almost rather have it for the touch screen, though. I'd love to be able to run other apps that require a better pointing device than a scroll wheel. Can't deal with the idea of a keyboard/mouse floating around the car - has to be OEM-like. Less work would be a touch screen overlay, but they're also hard to find in 6.5" and I'd be worried that the brightness of the screen would be too reduced making using the nav in sunlight impossible. I have a set of steering wheel controls from a 2010 that have the 4-way directional controls at top. I thought about converting them to i-Bus and using the directional controls as a mouse - then again steering while trying to manipulate a cursor across the screen did not seem enticing (also, muchas work. I've become a little more realistic in my older age - see 'new interior' thread).

Please post or PM links to the info you've found on converting screens, etc. I'd be curious to see what others a re doing.

I ran Ozi-Explorer on a 10" screen Toshiba notebook in the P38 a number of years ago - very cool. Made the OEM off-road navigation look silly:

RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #20392 17th Jun 2010 8:37am
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Daveo, you have my interest!

I have a few applications I would like to be able to view via the Nav screen. I am however finding it difficult to obtain info about what is required for the Carx install. I have found the software and downloaded it and also note a Resler Ibus doofer is required. Any links to existing info and lots seems to no longer work on the web.

Does ibus detect Tape selected then squirt in tha AV feed from the reverse camera? I would like to keep the CD player to as my set up is initially likely to be an old laptop used on those longer trips when caravaning or operating amature radio rather than the short commutes to work etc.

Also - where to you tap into the Tape input for the audio system? What plugs are required?

Post #20437 17th Jun 2010 3:01pm
daveo

hi elpeede, the ibus interface connect to your car and watches the ibus commands that fly up and down, its looking for the command from the head unit to say you selected the tape, when it sees this it starts the carx programme and at the same time switches you monitor over to see the car pc. you don't loose you cd player the only thing you loose it the tape, who uses that any way. you tap into the cars audio via the tape input on the radio in the boot,this is the lead i am waiting for.you need the Resler Ibus interface as that has the 4th wire needed to switch your monitor over.

this man has converted the pre touch screen to take a vga screen,this will give you a far far better picture.
http://web.comhem.se/bengt-olof.swing/High...ith800x480
and here's an other conversion,
http://www.tevs.eu/blog_12.html

the only thing that lets this mod down is the factory monitor due to its resolution being so low V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #20445 17th Jun 2010 5:07pm
elpeede

OK , I found this, don't know if it helps?

http://s113117221.onlinehome.us/How%20to%2...%20car.doc

Sounds like an interesting project. I got a lead a while back to plumb in the reverse camera I fitted. Guess its a similar process.

Would be nice to eventually have a PC that has memory as opposed to a hard drive and boot from ignition. I guess that is more reading though Very Happy

Post #20448 17th Jun 2010 6:33pm
daveo

right ok this is what i have so far...

firstly I have my Acer one netbook:

Click image to enlarge

this has windows xp with just what i need loaded on it and is running 800x600 as this is what carx needs to fit the screen.
next is the vga to video converter, now you can pay big money for these but this one was only 12 pounds from ebay and takes its power from you usb port, brilliant no messing with adapters, Exclamation Don't spend big money on one off these as you wont get any better picture from it. the range rovers monitor is the week point, but saying that i am a bit of a perfectionist and like my thing to be the best i can do them.
Click image to enlarge

this is my Samsung wireless mouse,it small,its thin and it was cheap 10 pounds, don't get me wrong here i am not trying to do this on a budget but i hate wasting money.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

in this picture you can see the two main connections you will need, the usb interface to talk with the ibus in your car and the video interface lead,this one has the input for the rear view camera and you will need this.the white wire in the back ground is for the switch, turns the monitor over to pc when you push the tape button
Click image to enlarge

the set up ready to go
Click image to enlarge

when i remove the screen from the netbook it will fit perfectly on top of the dvd player
Click image to enlarge

now here's some screen shots of it in my car,you may get a better idea of how it will look
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

browsing the web,this is were the monitor let it down but it still good,not as good as i would like
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

this is the multi plug on the radio, i am waiting for the modified aux input lead to get the sound working
Click image to enlarge

I have various files and instructions that may help you install it, i had to do most of the research as i joined the forum,hack the ibus but it took so long to get accepted i had most of it done.
if you want any of it pm me your email and i will send it

now when its all installed and running i will have thousands of mp3's,mp4's videos plus emails and web browsing, and all at a twist of a button { factory stereo still all intact and fully working} no cutting or adding of extra buttons/switches
in my opinion it will be a great media system and of course if you want you could add a usb tv card and get full digital and radio,what do you think of that then..
always pushing daveo

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #20460 17th Jun 2010 11:06pm
elpeede

Very trick!

I was putting my mind to this as we are soon to invest in portable dvd players for the kids again. I want something that will play all the formats.

No reason why with the appropriate adapters and professionally installed / purchased headrest screens that the video feeds couldn't be run through to two extra monitors purely from the AV out which would allow the front screen to be used for instance on navigation (OE). Further thinking lead to the possibility of headphone extensions run from a cable to the laptop sound so that the cars sound system doesn't have to be used for the rear screens.

This would mean from the front screen you could start the DVD / film / video then flick on the front to the Nav and the rear still showing the AV out from the laptop. Sound to those that want it. Quiet to those who dont.

Some relays if you wanted to be really clever to allow at the flick of a switch either headsets sound or car amps sound... cunning eh!

All I currently need is the Video adapter to get along with the basics.

I have the rear cam already utilised by a camera by the tow ball, but again a relay could flick between normal cam and AV from the laptop feed in to the front screen.

Currently my negative to trigger the reverse cam comes from a relay which in turn picks up its positive from the rear reverse lights.

Post #20465 18th Jun 2010 8:00am
elpeede

Another thought, with the web browser how about tweaking the view / font / zoom.

Post #20486 18th Jun 2010 2:31pm
Duke Thrust

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Great work!!

Couple of questions:

How is power fed to the lappy?
How is it powered up and does it go into suspend or fully off? (Thinking about how quickly it'd come to life after turning the engine on)

Post #20491 18th Jun 2010 2:55pm
daveo

hi the laptop is 12v and runs of the ignition live, the laptop goes into standby and last for 2/3 days and will wake up with a click of the mouse, so i use the car as good as every other day so that should take care of that but if it does run flat i will set it in the bios to resume if power fails, so it will start when ignition is turned on. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #20495 18th Jun 2010 4:08pm
elpeede

Daveo , I have sent you my email as a PM , could you send me a link to the software you are running too please as I seem to have downloaded a different version. Embarassed

Post #20737 21st Jun 2010 3:27pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Amazing work you have done there daveo ............. Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #20742 21st Jun 2010 3:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>