Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Something's not right...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Something's not right...

Hmmm. It came back from the dealers the other day not having had the brakes done and since, it has got a very annoying and noticeable screeching noise at low speeds. (people stopping to see where the old rust bucket heap of Sh*t is that must be making the noise...very surprised to see its me!)

Once the screech stops when gaining speed its replaced by a rubbing/grinding sort of noise, in direct relation to the speed of the car, so is something to do with a part that revolves.

I am not sure if it is the brakes or something like a propshaft issue, I can't tell whereabouts in the car its coming from.

Anyone heard of anything or got any ideas? Its booked in on Friday. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #19545 7th Jun 2010 7:26pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Sounds like the pads rubbing the disks due to warping of the disks. Is it about one screech per wheel rotation when going slow with windows open?

I had same on a previous 2002model and it need new pads & discs only £70 the lot on the front.

Post #19546 7th Jun 2010 7:29pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Yup, the screech is cyclical, like it could be a spot on the disc that rubs on rotation. What makes me think it is not the discs though is the dealers took the brakes apart and said they look 'ok' but not great. Mind you, the screech got worse since they took the brakes apart and put them back....Who knows. Pads replaced the wrong way round to the way they came off?

But, it sounds like its coming from the centre of the car. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #19548 7th Jun 2010 7:37pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

I had trouble placing the sound but it was the discs and as the dealer "played" with your brakes I am pretty sure it will be the re-seated pads. Get them to re-do them until the screech disappears mate. Thumbs Up

No chance of it being diff or prop-shaft as your car is far to young. (Unless something is tangled up)

Post #19549 7th Jun 2010 7:56pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

I had a look underneath and can't see anything out of place or untoward.

I also nearly burnt the end of my nose too on the hot exhaust!

The discs don't look clever and they've been squeaking for a while now. The screeching is new. I think because I am also getting quite a bit of break fade I am going to bite the bullet and have them all replaced.

The discs are quite ridged round the edges...

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #19559 7th Jun 2010 8:50pm
Turbo Tony

United Kingdom 

To my untrained eye, I'd say that look like a disc that could do with being changed.

If you're just worried about the sound though, new pads will bed in over time and that usually gets rid of any squeal - although I'm not sure that's exactly what you're describing as you also mention a grinding noise.

Can you jack up the car and see if the wheel rotates freely? Researching my first Range Rover purchase

Post #19561 7th Jun 2010 9:03pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

being 4 wheel drive, I'm not sure its possible, never actually tried after all these years! Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #19564 7th Jun 2010 9:24pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Can't understand your dealers reasoning for not changing the brakes ? - assuming you mentioned to the dealer that you had braking issues and looking at the photo you've provided (which show an uneven, contanimated and worn brake biting surface) - Seems a bit strange?

Now you are spending your time crawling about beneath your car trying to locate another suspect noise which quite possibly could be a further result of the brakes starting to lose efficiency or fail. Confused

Yes...something isn't right Whistle

Whilst Turbo Tony has a suggested a good method for diagnosing braking noises, maybe I could mention that you get your dealer to do it - and whilst they're at it, again suggest they CHANGE THE BLOODY BRAKES !

After your other problem with the TPMS warning flashing up for past six months because of their mis-diagnosis, maybe you should use another dealer/service centre.

It seems these dealers are only becoming better at one thing, that being - wasting everyone's time.

Post #19565 7th Jun 2010 9:44pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Delamo,

TBF, the dealer suggested I didn't need new brakes and were trying to save me money, not many would do that if you had told them to change them.

I think I will insist on the change this time! Shame its so much money but they are only £40 more than the local Indy Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #19567 7th Jun 2010 10:02pm
specman

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aruba

Your discs are pretty knackered mate to be honest, I would be changing them PDQ.
You have quite a cusp to the edge of the disc and some crap may have got trapped when the pads were removed and refitted.

Meantime I suggest you remove the pads and apply good old fashioned copper slip to the backs of the pads.
If they have been whipped out and re-inserted without having the old crap removed and then refitted without fresh you are asking for trouble.
I have done my brakes on my old 1996 E38 BMW 728 with stock twin pot front calipers (by Brembo) since 2000 and this is a key element to maintaining a quiet braking experience.

The similarities are there, hefty beast (just shy of two tons) similar calipers and I hate to say it exactly same levels of brake dust!

I dont get quite the same issues with my 2004 E65 BMW 730, but then I have only had that one for six years, it is not quite run in yet Very Happy

Post #19568 7th Jun 2010 10:03pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

As per my original reply - new discs and pads mate. Thumbs Up

Post #19574 7th Jun 2010 10:46pm
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Can you pinpoint the noise to front or rear of the car? I've had a terrible time in the past chasing a screech/squeal which was a damaged backplate on the rear brakes. It came into contact with the edge of the 'handbrake drum' every rotation and no amount of bending or reshaping would get it to clear.

I used the angle grinder to remove the offending 5mm! Thumbs Up Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #19586 8th Jun 2010 1:39pm
ukrangie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Would it be worth getting your brakes sanded back whilst you wait for them to be replaced? If it is only light scratched it may work? Paul

Twitter - Facebook

Post #19910 11th Jun 2010 9:30pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

The car went in today. I decided that I should throw some money and TLC it's way rather than my usual 'try and find the cheapest fix'.

4 New Discs
4 Sets of pads
New rear handbrake shoes (unexpectedly)

It turns out the handbrake shoes were cracked and breaking up and I think I MIGHT have had something to do with that one....having tried out the emergency braking procedure a few times Whistle

Anyway, Range Rovers are not cheap beasts to run and I am not complaining and I'm just happy it has new stoppers all round.

Total bill.... Big Cry £760 Big Cry

Easy come easy go! Laughing Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #19922 11th Jun 2010 10:15pm
jayzee

2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

RRUK wrote:
The car went in today. I decided that I should throw some money and TLC it's way rather than my usual 'try and find the cheapest fix'.

4 New Discs
4 Sets of pads
New rear handbrake shoes (unexpectedly)

It turns out the handbrake shoes were cracked and breaking up and I think I MIGHT have had something to do with that one....having tried out the emergency braking procedure a few times Whistle

Anyway, Range Rovers are not cheap beasts to run and I am not complaining and I'm just happy it has new stoppers all round.

Total bill.... Big Cry £760 Big Cry

Easy come easy go! Laughing

Bit of a stinger Adam, but you can't put a price on safety Thumbs Up Java with Ivory 2006 4.2 Supercharged. 23.5k miles - NOW SOLD!

Post #19940 11th Jun 2010 10:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>