Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > No blowers to windscreen problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
No blowers to windscreen problem.

Well, I've had the car a few days, so thats long enough for some stuff to not work. Big Cry

The issue is the windscreen won't demist - and its twofold.

1) The fan blower itself is working fine, but whatever setting I put it on it blows nothing at all up to the windscreen so the screen doesn't demist. All other vents are working fine, its just the windscreen ones that are duff. Are there any common issues please that cause this or is it a garage job?

2) The heated screen doesnt work. The button lights up but nothing happens. The screen has had a very small repair in the past in the middle of the passenger wiper sweep, if that had broken the continuity of the elements, would it all go off or just a section of it? Are there any common issues that prevent the screen working please?

It wouldn't be much of an issue if one or the other worked, but as neither do, this morning was a PIA with the screen fogged up.

Any advice welcome.

Post #462334 27th Dec 2017 5:29pm
Mulcher

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

I think the servo flaps to the windscreen have stuck.

The windscreen fan problem occurred on mine a couple of weeks ago, but fortunately the screen heating elements were working so at least I had some visibility.

On the Programme Defrost setting there was nothing coming out of the windscreen Defrost vents at all – all the other vents were working.

I experimented with various settings, and found that after turning off the Programme Defrost I could used the directed air vent buttons. There's a row of three buttons on the centre console: the one nearest the driver directs air to the footwell; the middle one (from memory) is for face-level/cabin; and the third is for the windscreen.

After pressing the windscreen button I heard the servo-operated flaps move and air started blowing on the windscreen. Once I'd got the flaps to move in this way, they worked normally after that and Programme Defrost function worked as it should.

Hope this fixes that part of your problem too. 2006MY 4.2 SC
BMW R1250 GSA Rallye TE
Triumph Tiger 1050 (sold)
1979 Pontiac Trans Am (sold)

Post #462383 27th Dec 2017 10:08pm
Stuart-

So it seems to be the flaps jammed indeed. I just had another play and it seems footwell and screen are not working. Whatever you select you get front vents only and nothing changes.

Are those flaps easily accessible at all does anyone know?

Post #462384 27th Dec 2017 10:20pm
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Stuart, try presing MAX A/C. Unjamed My.

Post #462408 28th Dec 2017 9:26am
Stuart-

I have, and pretty every much other possibility. Max AC makes a lot of noise but no air where I want it. Big Cry

Post #462425 28th Dec 2017 11:24am
wack61

United Kingdom 

Mine is the same except I do have 1/2 a heated windscreen, unfortunately it's the wrong half , only just got the car so not investigated it yet.

You're not far away so I could've bought a bottle of whisky to drown our sorrows but I'd probably crash on the way

Post #462427 28th Dec 2017 11:29am
Stuart-

All part of the joys of RR ownership I guess.

I guess I'll bung it in Land Ranger in Stockport to sort out and they can fit the sidesteps while they are there. At least then I can alight in style from behind my fogged up windows, Rolling with laughter

Post #462429 28th Dec 2017 11:34am
wack61

United Kingdom 

I think I've found my problem , I can hear the fan running , moving between the 3 buttons doesn't alter the airflow in any direction , pressing the max button closes the vent from outside but all that does is make more noise

Then after a bit of switching between max and the buttons I hear a clicking like a cog clicking on a stripped thread and normal service is resumed , only problem is when I leave it for a bit it's the same, nothing on the screen

Sounds like there's a motor behind the dash that alters the position of the air and it's got a stripped cog

I'm upgrading the stereo when it arrives so I'll have the dash out to see what's going on

Post #462600 29th Dec 2017 1:25pm
wack61

United Kingdom 

Switching between max then the 3 direction buttons a few times appears to have cleared mine , seems to be working ok now , I'd give that another go before paying somebody to strip the dash , I've read 2 days labour for that on t'internet

Post #462812 31st Dec 2017 6:35pm
Stuart-

Electric screen decided to work yesterday, but conked out again today. Sounds like a fuzzed up connector block to me (the Sport is known for this on the rear window). I'm assuming it will be behind the pillar trim?

Post #462908 1st Jan 2018 6:35pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

I suspected I had the same problem and found access was behind the black cussioned panel next to the switches for suspension etc , you can clearly see the flap move when depressing each position , I unhooked it just to make sure it wasn't jamming up

Post #462927 1st Jan 2018 6:56pm
Mulcher

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

After an overnight freeze I again found I had no demisting air to the windscreen. I kept the engine running whilst pressing every variation of buttons imaginable (which reminded me of playing Whack-A-Mole).

I finally gave up on it and started using a cloth to clear the screen when the air came whooshing out of the screen vents all by itself.

I'm now wondering if the vent flaps could be getting iced-up and only free-off once they get thawed out as the engine reaches normal running temperature. Is this feasible/possible?

Think I'll select windscreen demist before switching the engine off so as to leave them in the open position; at least that way they can't get stuck in the closed position. 2006MY 4.2 SC
BMW R1250 GSA Rallye TE
Triumph Tiger 1050 (sold)
1979 Pontiac Trans Am (sold)

Post #463812 8th Jan 2018 9:19pm
Stuart-

Preliminary investigations by Land Ranger suggest the dash has been out in the past, probably to replace the heater motor they are apparently renowned for. Someone made a hash of putting it back together hence the flaps are not working as they should and the heated front screen works when it feels like it.

So it needs the dash out to to investigate and fix whatever someone in the past did wrong. Big Cry

I kind of expected to have to fix something major early on (nature of the beast). 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #464698 15th Jan 2018 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1