Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Faulty Parking Brake Caused Expensive M.O.T.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FrankRizzo

Germany 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Faulty Parking Brake Caused Expensive M.O.T.

My '08 TDV8 auto just underwent the German equivalent of the M.O.T., called the TüV. It initially failed due to the parking brake not locking one of the rear wheels. Turns out on one side the parking brake pads had come away from the caliper and worn itself down on the disc during travel. The German M.O.T. requires the performance of the two calipers to be within 2% of each other. Thus the dealer had to replace both sides despite the good side passing the minimum performance threshold. Parts came to 385GBP/464EUR (as of today) plus 99GBP/120EUR labour Big Cry . A retest then passed the car.

When I bought the car used from another, non-LR dealer two years ago, they'd already had an M.O.T done so I guess it worked fine then. This lead to my wondering if the problem was due to how I use the brake.

My usual routine is as follows:

Bring car to stop with foot brake - engage P - apply park brake - release foot brake - engine off.

This results in the car creeping forward slightly (no more than an inch) when I release the foot brake.

Is this the best sequence? Am I damaging anything this way? My FF is my first automatic car so I have no experience of other autos to compare with.

Overnight I park in an underground garage for which I have to lock the suspension in access mode prior to entering but this has not been a problem. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black
2008 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Java Black

Post #246993 8th Mar 2014 1:22am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Bring car to stop with foot brake - engage P - apply park brake - release foot brake - engine off.

This results in the car creeping forward slightly (no more than an inch) when I release the foot brake.

Is this the best sequence? Am I damaging anything this way? My FF is my first automatic car so I have no experience of other autos to compare with.

I would suggest you stop with foot brake, then apply the hand brake, then engage park sir Thumbs Up That way you never leave the car resting on the gearbox Thumbs Up

Post #246995 8th Mar 2014 1:46am
FrankRizzo

Germany 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Tried your version today and the car hardly creeps forward at all now. You can feel it straining slightly once you come off the foot brake but compared to engaging park first it is virtually nothing. Hopefully this way the park brake will last longer not to mention the box. Cheers Thumbs Up 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black
2008 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Java Black

Post #247132 8th Mar 2014 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1