Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Stone Chip Repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sportex

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Stone Chip Repair

Got some filled polish chips in the paintwork, is there a fix?

Post #20615 19th Jun 2010 10:44pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi you said,,, got some filled polish chips is there a fix..are they not fixed if filled and polished Question V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #20620 19th Jun 2010 11:43pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

This is no help at all.. but,

I was sat here pondering this, I've had Jacket potatoe filled with cheese and beans but never a chip. Those Poles think of everything.. did just you hit one of those food carts? Wink

Post #20626 20th Jun 2010 12:55am
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I take it you mean some chips filled with polish??

I've used 'chips away' before who were pretty good. Or you could get a touch up kit for a tenner. Prepare to be unimpressed with that though. It's amazing sometimes how oem touch up kits can be so far off the colour?? It's almost like the factory moron just had a 'guess' at what the colour probably is!

Post #20632 20th Jun 2010 7:40am
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi ok, if you have stone chips that have polish build up in them and i take it you want to fill them in,heres a link of a excellent site, read and read again, get all your stuff ready and then start..
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127
i have done a few chips on the front of my car and you would never find them, dont bother with a brush,use a cocktail stick and build it up slowly, V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #20634 20th Jun 2010 10:04am
Sportex

hoppy_70 wrote:
I take it you mean some chips filled with polish??

Thats what I meant to say, bought pristine cars before only to notice its not so good looking after first wash and chips appear and alloy damage becomes obvious, think they have tips and tricks for cheap cosmetic fix that does not last, but what do I know, I am only a customer who lusts for bright shiney things

Post #20639 20th Jun 2010 2:01pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

When ever I have had to repair any stone chips I have always used paint from spray tins rather than touch up sticks as I found you get a better colour match if you shake the can/mix the paint thoroughly.

On a warm day, once you have cleaned the area using some isopropanol spirits or similar alcohol cleaner to remove any silicons and other surface contanimants - spend a good 5 - 10 mins shaking the can (longer than it would say on the can) - you cannot mix the paint too much and the tempreture from your hand on the can helps make the paint mix.

Spray the paint into the lid (or another container) and form a small puddle - then allow the paint to go off a little so its tacky. (When you have finised using the aerosol, turn the can upside down and spray until just the gas come out - helps to remove paint from nozzle, for use next time)

Just like daveo has already suggested - using a cocktail stick (or fine artists brush) collect a little (blob) of the paint on the tip and gently apply the paint to the chipped area - ideally the sticky blob of paint will fill the chip itself rather than you needing to add several layers.

Once applied - the fresh paint should be slightly raised above the rest of the vehicles painted surface - it will still be just as noticable as the chip was but you should then just leave it for a week or so - and allow the paint to set hard.

On the following weekend - using a tiny amount of T-Cut - VERY GENTLY rub the repaired chip until the raised area has gone - Remember apply the T-Cut gently, you are only using it because the chemicals in it softens the fresh paint enough to rub it down with the cloth you are using.

Once you are happy with the repair - use plenty of polish to revive the lustre of the paint, then wax to protect.

Thats how I do it anyway Thumbs Up

Post #20641 20th Jun 2010 3:07pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

delamo wrote:
When ever I have had to repair any stone chips I have always used paint from spray tins rather than touch up sticks as I found you get a better colour match if you shake the can/mix the paint thoroughly.

On a warm day, once you have cleaned the area using some isopropanol spirits or similar alcohol cleaner to remove any silicons and other surface contanimants - spend a good 5 - 10 mins shaking the can (longer than it would say on the can) - you cannot mix the paint too much and the tempreture from your hand on the can helps make the paint mix.

Spray the paint into the lid (or another container) and form a small puddle - then allow the paint to go off a little so its tacky. (When you have finised using the aerosol, turn the can upside down and spray until just the gas come out - helps to remove paint from nozzle, for use next time)

Just like daveo has already suggested - using a cocktail stick (or fine artists brush) collect a little (blob) of the paint on the tip and gently apply the paint to the chipped area - ideally the sticky blob of paint will fill the chip itself rather than you needing to add several layers.

Once applied - the fresh paint should be slightly raised above the rest of the vehicles painted surface - it will still be just as noticable as the chip was but you should then just leave it for a week or so - and allow the paint to set hard.

On the following weekend - using a tiny amount of T-Cut - VERY GENTLY rub the repaired chip until the raised area has gone - Remember apply the T-Cut gently, you are only using it because the chemicals in it softens the fresh paint enough to rub it down with the cloth you are using.

Once you are happy with the repair - use plenty of polish to revive the lustre of the paint, then wax to protect.

Thats how I do it anyway Thumbs Up

Great advice thanks Thumbs Up

Post #20654 20th Jun 2010 5:56pm
Sportex

Gaz, that advice for me, do not steal my advice Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Post #20688 20th Jun 2010 9:54pm
elbitrevnoc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

I'm interested in the point that Sportex made above. IS there a reliable trade-trick that can disguise chips, scratches & the like until such time as the proud new owner gives it a wash?

I've got some bad paint wear around the edges of all four door handle scuff plates, that I didn't notice until I washed the car. The thing is, I gave it a pretty close inspection before I committed and I find it really hard to believe that I didn't spot the damage!

Post #20825 22nd Jun 2010 7:30am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Colour magic polish can hide some things.
I used it on a defender and greenlane scratches disappeared... until I washed it again.

I doubt it's what a dealer uses, but it works to hide some things.

Post #20826 22nd Jun 2010 8:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1