Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Another Turbo Whooshing noise thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RoryM

Ireland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Another Turbo Whooshing noise thread

All, I've had one of the turbos replaced on my '08 TDV8(under warranty) and since receiving the car back I'm convinced I now hear a whooshing noise from the farside at circa 1800 rpm during acceleration with no loss of power.

I raised the issue with local LR dealer but he claims he cant hear anything. Its driving me insane now to be honest as I can hear it all the time now that I'm aware of it.

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of a similar issue?

Thanks,
Rory.

Post #245993 3rd Mar 2014 5:20pm
Riverstick

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Hi Rory,

A whooshing sound is normally associated with loosing boost pressure. This obviously only manifests itself under load. Check the inlet trunking between the turbocharger and the intercooler. A boost leak like that will cost you in terms of both power output and fuel consumption. Where are you located? 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms
2015 Range Rover L405 SDV8 Autobiography

2008 Ford Focus1.6 tdci Titanium DPF deleted

Post #247023 8th Mar 2014 10:15am
RoryM

I'm in Clare. Where roughly is that inlet trunking located riverstick? Do you think I might be able to see it myself?
Rory.

Post #247088 8th Mar 2014 3:13pm
Riverstick

Hi Rory,

In your V8 you have a turbocharger serving both bank of cylinders. One of the biggest faults we see going through our workshops are leaking intercoolers and trunking pipes. An observant driver will pick this up when he hears the whooshing sound. All too often, the mechanic will try an dismiss it as the driver's imagination. This leakage of boost pressure will definitely cause you a drop in horsepower. Your engine's ecu is monitoring the boost pressure every few milliseconds and in turn supplies the combustion chambers with the perfect amount of fuel to produce horsepower from your engine...less air = less fuel = less power and efficiency.

If your workshop replaced a turbocharger, then chances are there is a joint loose, dislodged, cracked or broken between it and the intercooler. You cannot replicate this by revving the engine stationary, as your engine needs to be under load to spool up your turbo properly...therefore you can only really hear it when your engine is under load....in this case accelerating @1800rpm & above.

Your problem is a straightforward plumbing issue. A good technician could drive it with diagnostics connected and read the boost pressure from each turbo from the live data to verify this. The problem I find is very few technicians do not really know how to read & interpret live data.

Get a good mechanic to go through the trunking and he will identify your problem quickly.

A few years back, we had a Mercedes E220 cdi automatic where we could hear the leakage,but could not find it. We ended up putting a mattress between the front bumper and a wall....and gently driving the car against mattress and putting the engine under load. Straight away we saw a plastic pipe open up along its seam and release boost pressure to the atmosphere. 80 euros later and we had a car going superb and a happy driver.

What happened the original turbo Rory?

Tony 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms

Post #247095 8th Mar 2014 3:55pm
Riverstick

What you need to check Rory, is the trunking on the blue side of the turbocharger.

Tony 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms

Post #247097 8th Mar 2014 4:01pm
RoryM

Tony, thank you very much for this information. The original turbo started whistling and was replaced last November. I only noticed this whooshing when I got the car back.

Post #247098 8th Mar 2014 4:14pm
Googsy

Ireland 2008 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Java Black

Amazing info ... Rory hope you get it sorted. Present :2008 TDV8 HSE
Gone Audi A5 2.7TDI
Gone Discovery 3 HSE
Gone Mercedes CLK
Gone Range Rover 2.5 DSE

Post #247099 8th Mar 2014 4:17pm
RoryM

Ok, so this has been on going for quite a while. I returned the car to the main dealer and they told me the "reseated everything" and the noise was a lot better. I took the car back as I was just sick of not having it, not entirely happy that it was fully fixed but just happy to be able to drive it without the noise being too bad. fast forward a few months and its still annoying me so I took a look under the bonnet this evening and saw this.

I never noticed this cover on the hose before.

My question is, is this normal or am I right in thinking that the dealer has spotted that the hose was the culprit of the noise(ie it was split) and tried to do a cheap fix instead of replacing the hose with a new one? and this could still be the cause?

Post #273670 30th Jul 2014 9:13pm
Googsy

Ireland 2008 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Java Black

Embarassed Present :2008 TDV8 HSE
Gone Audi A5 2.7TDI
Gone Discovery 3 HSE
Gone Mercedes CLK
Gone Range Rover 2.5 DSE

Last edited by Googsy on 30th Jul 2014 10:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #273674 30th Jul 2014 9:49pm
Mikey

Scotland 

That's a coolant hose. That won't be causing your noise... And the sleeve is perfectly normal.

The turbo hose is to the right, and slightly lower than that hose, held on with a jubilee clip at each end

Post #273682 30th Jul 2014 10:08pm
ric355

As it happens I have just replaced the intercooler hoses on my tdv8 today. The left side (as in your pictures) was ok but the right side had a split in it. This is a very common problem and can be diagnosed with a p023d fault code in the engine management ecu. In my case the hose had split underneath the mesh that surrounds it so it wasn't immediately obvious.

It's easy to take the hose off to inspect it. All you need is a flat screwdriver. Just pull up the engine cover which is only clipped on and remove it from the engine, then undo the jubilee clips at both ends of the intercooler pipe and pull it off. The right hand pipe is the other fat one with the mesh around it, underneath the coolant pipe you're referring to. Check both pipes though.

Have you noticed it smoking more than usual at all? This is generally a sign that manifold pressure is low as not all of the diesel gets burned up inside the cylinder when there is not enough air.

Post #273696 30th Jul 2014 10:58pm
RoryM

thanks for your replies, damn it I thought I had found the cause. ghrrr Big Cry

Post #273735 31st Jul 2014 8:57am
JAMIE_M

United Kingdom 
Splits in hose !

No consolation chap, but a general comment abut split hoses.. Happened to be on n/s bank. day 1 "engine fault" and limp power, cleared with ignition off/on. By day 3 I could predict exactly which bit of hill it would happen on making me thing "hose" by day 6 when I managed to get it to my indie, anything over the most gentle of throttle would result in clouds of black smoke billowing out the back. N/S bank hose had a split you could stick 3 fingers in!

Post #273741 31st Jul 2014 9:23am
RoryM

so just to confirm, this hose that has a sleeve over it never gets under pressure and couldn't possibly be the culprit of my strange noise?

Post #273756 31st Jul 2014 10:41am
ric355

The hose you asked about originally is a water hose. It is under pressure but if it was leaking you'd certainly know about it. The one underneath it though, which also has a sleeve of a different material, is an air hose which is pressurised and is commonly found to have split underneath the sleeve.

Post #273779 31st Jul 2014 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>