Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Project Fatty off roader....PICTURES NOW BACK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 27 of 31 <123 ... 262728 293031>
Print this entire topic · 
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Didn't own the previous non bt iid tool, so can't compare, but I must say it's really easy to use, even for a technophobe like me.a real big thank you to the guys at gap, for producing such a good product at a decent price.
glad to hear your getting better pete, and by the sound of it on the move as well, like me.
all the best, greg. Thumbs Up

Post #409783 18th Oct 2016 8:37pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Time for some more work on the bumpers, we made them just over a year ago and I didn't get time to complete them just how I wanted them or finish them properly before the photo shoot for LRO....

So a year out in the wilds with no protection meant they were looking a bit second hand.. especially the rear one..

Rear bumper, all that mess at the bottom is rust bubbles...

Inside of the rear bumper

I also had a later supercharged look grill donated to the cause (thanks Ross) so decided to butcher it to fit, these grills fit so much better around the winch as they are more "complete" ie you can cut smaller bits off without them falling apart, 20mins with a 1mm cutting disk and it fits... Plus I get to keep the Land Rover badge...

The chrome trim I cut off the bottom for the winch will trim both sides and finish it off by hiding the curve where it goes around the later light and the slight curve in the bottom rail, this is an aftermarket chrome grille and it's quite badly pitted so I will paint it to cut down the "bling" a bit...

I also fancied a few extras, some fog/driving lights in the front bumper, something close to the original. Being a child of the 70's I'vs always wanted something "Frenched" in as was all the rage back then...... and also (and this is VERY unusual for me) an "A" bar, I have never liked them and never had one on any car I've had but I offered one up a while ago at my mates as he had some for 90's lying around... anyway a few mods to the size, work out the width at the top and the side angles and had this bent up out of 60mm tube with a 5mm wall, so it's not just for show....

They leave them nice and long for height adjustment...

Worked out the height required and also tilted it forward a few degrees, upright just didn't look right...

This also means you can't steal the winch, it won't come out through the hole... makes the bumper a bit heavy when fitting it with the winch though...!!!

Also, anyone notice the big Censored up.... new grill means I get the Land Rover badge back (the earlier grille's badge is further towards the center of the car so was totally removed when trimming for the winch) and the new "A" bar means you can't see it....

Click image to enlarge

Oh well, you can't have everything and the keen eyed among you will notice that I had some Land Rover badges made in a different proportion so it would fit in place of the "ComeUp" badge on the winch...

I digress... on with the bumpers...

Next job was to markup and cut out the hole for the fogs, bumpers thickness here is 4mm so took a while with a jigsaw, notice how the cutout wants to return to it's original flat shape.. also had to cut out an ellipse as I wanted the lights facing forward on the curved bumper..

Cut a 50mm wide strip of 3mm plate (all that was in stock) made a former and bent it into a rough shape, beat hell out of it with a hammer and got it in the hole, careful measurements and the use of several squares ensured the lights would point "sort of" in the right direction...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tack weld and hammer to make it fit, then cut off the excess from the front

Click image to enlarge

The run a weld all the way round...

Click image to enlarge

Then grind it back and try the light for size, lights a bit low here, I'll bring it forward a bit when fitted.. lights were cheap LED's from China, very bright and cheap to replace, they also have plastic lenses so pretty tough... Doesn't look very round here, but it's just the angle the pic is taken from...

Click image to enlarge

Then start again the other side... and finally weld the "A" bar on...

Then it was time for the rear bumper, no mods to it but I did want a towbar that was removable. Obviously only for use off road as it will not have type approval... Whistle

We decided to go mad with this, 5 x 50mm angle hooked behind the 8mm plate that is the rear of the bumper, this remember is bolted to the rear of the car, and also the spreaders that reach forward down the chassis legs... (yes I know it hasn't got a chassis but the rear legs are just like one and thicker and stronger than most cars...!!!) This is probably three times as strong as the original tow bar, no way is this bending or breaking...

This angle is bolted to the bumper with three M16 bolts into captive nuts, then another 5 x 50mm plate under the bumper bolted with another 2 M16 bolts into captive nuts that miss the winch.. 100x50x5mm box section is then welded on with side fillets to stop flex, then a drop plate made from 10mm plate to the required height (the center hole is the correct height when the FF is at "my" standard height) was welded on the end with another fillet underneath and a top fillet as well... No way is this not strong enough... It's also not that heavy so will be easy enough to fit and remove...

The rear bumper is upside down here...

Click image to enlarge

Some nice welding...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bumpers are now going off for shot blasting and should be back tomorrow, I'll fettle the bumpers hopefully Monday and then both bumpers and the tow bar will go off for hot dip galvanising...

Drove the FF home without any bumpers but it was dark so no one noticed....

Looks like it's got it's mouth open... Jetwashed all the mud off as well...

A big thanks to my mate Nidge who is pretty good at welding and strong enough to hump them about, whilst I fall about all over the place.... Anyone need some fabricating doing let me know, he does it all.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Last edited by Haylands on 8th Jun 2022 9:37pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #410029 20th Oct 2016 7:37pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Looks great. Can you send it away to get copied about 50 times. There are a few over here who want some kind of brush/roo bar. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #410041 20th Oct 2016 8:27pm
Haylands

Would be pretty easy to make a bar that bolted through the bumper onto a frame built around the original crash structure.. Aren't you limited to approved stuff only though...??? Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #410044 20th Oct 2016 8:33pm
rar110

Forgot about that. Need to find someone to certify that a crash test dummy will survive an impact or something.

Your bar design is so close to the original shape that certification should be straight forward. ______________________________

Post #410046 20th Oct 2016 8:41pm
rar110

The only thing that might need changing is receeded recovery points. ______________________________

Post #410047 20th Oct 2016 8:42pm
Haylands

These were done with hand tools, hammers and welders, would be easy enough to make some up and if you had a good plasma/waterjet table would be pretty straight forward...

We did price these up if someone else wanted one and it would be near £1,500 for the pair... folk don't want to spend that much... Pete

Post #410052 20th Oct 2016 9:03pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

That's still half the price of the LR winch kit Whistle And you get two winch mounts Thumbs Up

Whistle Pete seeing how you've neatly "frenched" the fog lights, couldn't you do a similar thing in the "A" bar, but say oval Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #410062 20th Oct 2016 10:22pm
Haylands

Yeah, could do, not really that fussed, the standard one had to have a bigger hole cut than idea as you needed to cut half the badge off really, and that looked weird...!!! Pete

Post #410065 20th Oct 2016 10:31pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Thumbs Up great work !! All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #410070 21st Oct 2016 6:16am
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Offroader L322 Version 2.0 is going to be epic. It will loose its stock(ish) look but will be another step above the rest, as I do not think anyone has modified his/her L322 for off road to this extent l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #410082 21st Oct 2016 8:33am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Pete, Buddy.... I have a thought that might solve the grill problem.... Have you looked in to rotating the gearbox, so that the clutch lever isn't at 12 o'clock? There isn't much info about your winch, when it comes to parts diagrams.... but from what I can see it's held on with 8 bolts.... so theoretically could it not be moved 45 degrees, away from the grill? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #410084 21st Oct 2016 9:24am
Haylands

Thanks verydisco...

miggit, unfortunately they only move through 90deg, they do do an air operated one but I'm too stingy to buy it... it'll be OK at this... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #410085 21st Oct 2016 9:33am
Haylands

Bumpers back from blasting... should just lacquer them, they look the nuts....!!!!

That's another favour I owe a mate.... Rolling Eyes

They just need a minor fettling and then off for galvanising... Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 5:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #410117 21st Oct 2016 1:28pm
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Nice job pete, and lovely welding. Thumbs Up

Post #410165 21st Oct 2016 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 27 of 31 <123 ... 262728 293031>