Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > The most ANNOYING thing about my L322 (pictures)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GregMilner

Australia 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White
The most ANNOYING thing about my L322 (pictures)

No doubt I'm far from the first owner to be peeved about this - but what were LR thinking when they designed the L322 (and my previous RRS for that matter) with a rear camera that can't see the tow bar???

I got tired of backing up (alone) two inches at a time and getting in and out of the car ten times to line up the tow ball with the hitch (and chipping the bumper paint twice.) So I've had to jerry-rig a solution. It's a bit clunky, but it works. You just need a spare iPhone for it.

1) buy a cheap suction bracket for the spare iPhone ($19 from Good Guys)
2) Stick the phone on and suck to the bottom of the tailgate window
3) Point the phone down at the towbar
4) Facetime from one phone to the other.

As per the pics below. Continually backing into the boat trailer was becoming tiresome.

(And yes, I know about VentureCam, even bid for one on eBay before discovering my car wasn't rigged up for it at the factory, and apparently it can't be retro-fitted. Anybody want an un-used VentureCam???)

2012 L322 TDV8 Luxury
2013 VW Polo GTI
Gone: 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, 2007 Audi TT 3.2V6 Roadster

Post #249321 20th Mar 2014 8:25am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Laughing Laughing Laughing great !! Bow down Thumbs Up All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #249322 20th Mar 2014 8:45am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Yes, someone was on drugs when they came up with that design.

And yes, Venturecam can be retrofitted. All you need is the cradle, wiring, a venturecam and a faultmate/IID to turn it on in the CCF.

My fix was to mount a 2nd camera in the bumper and use a video switcher to change between the 2. This was the kiddie.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330533368428?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Just searching for the original thread and it's here.
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic14565.html?highlight=camera

Post #249326 20th Mar 2014 9:04am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I didn't think the 2012 Range Rover was back compatible with Venture cam ?
I thought the architecture had moved on and was no longer compatible even though you can find an entry in the CCF for companion camera . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #249358 20th Mar 2014 12:33pm
GregMilner

I guess you're right mzplcg (jeez I wish I knew your real name. Try typing that nickname when you've had a few Becks and a lie down). I just get lazy, and go for the easy, no-extra-wiring solution; which is what LR should have done years ago:-)

But re venture cam, I had a long discussion with the guru down at the local dealer a couple of days ago, who says yes, it can be retrofitted, but it's horrendously expensive, and do I REALLY want to do it????

In the end, probably not. After a couple of Becks, I get a severe case of Attitude Problem:-) 2012 L322 TDV8 Luxury
2013 VW Polo GTI

Post #249363 20th Mar 2014 1:12pm
GregMilner

Censored if I know Axle….that's certainly what Cecil at Barbagallo gold me yesterday. He's the guru in these matters, I'm told. But that's what I was told, you have to have all the VentureCam bits fitted at the point of ordering, and THEN order the VentureCam as an option.

Seems to me it would have been a lot easier to engineer the bloody thing in the first place so it captures the tow bar view, in the centre screen. Would have saved a helluva lot of mucking around. 2012 L322 TDV8 Luxury
2013 VW Polo GTI

Post #249365 20th Mar 2014 1:18pm
GregMilner

…but then, it's a magnificent vehicle. I'm only being grumpy about the little things. It's a First World problem:-) 2012 L322 TDV8 Luxury
2013 VW Polo GTI

Post #249367 20th Mar 2014 1:20pm
ksskaret

Norway 2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

This is an alternative (and an more expensive option) when ready to be released Smile
http://www.landrovertrailair.co.uk/products/# Range Rover TdV8 Autobiography MY2010
Defender 110stw Td5 MY2006

Post #253800 11th Apr 2014 8:03am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

There is a small issue with TrailAir as I discovered a while back. It only effects the L322 and then only the top spec variants which have the external dipping mirrors (photochromatic dimming for night driving)

The external mirrors on Vogue SE and AB spec has these mirrors as standard, some Vogue's had it as an option. They are controlled on the LIN Bus by the sensor in the internal rear view mirror which is auto-dipping on all models, even the later HSEs.

Now, the TrailAir system, excellent though it is, cannot control the external mirrors as the components are not present in the replacement internal rear view mirror they supply so it renders this function un-useable on the car. Some people might think it's not a big deal but it was enough to stop me fitting it.

On any other LR product it is a fantastic option, especially as the tyre pressure monitoring actually works as it should and it can be extended to the car as well as the towed unit. On the L322, especially the 06 onwards models which all had reverse cam as standard it needs a bit of a re-think IMO.

Post #253811 11th Apr 2014 9:19am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I think this is a brilliant solution with the old phone/suction bracket. Most of us have older smartphones lying around (I have a Galaxy S that is currently not used). I understand if you have the time and inclination to do a second camera it is a good idea but I am also one of the quick and easy fixes where it makes sense Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #253812 11th Apr 2014 10:01am
JOKER

Scotland 

GregMilner wrote:
I guess you're right mzplcg (jeez I wish I knew your real name. Try typing that nickname when you've had a few Becks and a lie down).

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #253838 11th Apr 2014 1:13pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Are you Jeremy Clarkson!!?? Shocked

Certainly looks like you are Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #253839 11th Apr 2014 1:31pm
Wrecker79

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

mzplcg wrote:

And yes, Venturecam can be retrofitted. All you need is the cradle, wiring, a venturecam and a faultmate/IID to turn it on in the CCF.

@MZPLCG - Can you tell me how, please?

I've fitted the cradle, plugged it into the existing connected fitted to the wiring that was taped back to the loom, put in the charged VentureCam, and enabled what I think I have to in the CCF using the "Software Download" part of SDD - but no joy!

The companion/venture camera part of the 4x4 info fires up, and I even have the choice of four channels of blackness, but nothing - whilst there is 12v on the back of the cradle, it never seems to get to the spring-loaded connectors on the back of the camera, and therefore I cant register the camera and that is that!

I'd really like this working for when I am reversing the boat down a slipway, and it was one of the few options this otherwise perfect car did not come with!

Any help you can offer would be appreciated!

Post #278207 30th Aug 2014 5:50pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

'in the CCF using the "Software Download" part of SDD '

whats that then? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #278208 30th Aug 2014 5:52pm
Wrecker79

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Hi Stan,
Within the bowels of SDD (in my case v130) there is a page called SoftwareDownload.hml which is the bit that would normally be secured behind the key icon in the main SDD page - it allows you to download and edit the CCF without let or hindrance!

You do have to be particularly careful though, as it would normally "know" your car from the information that entering SDD normally provides it - with this method, you have to specify some of the parts (like is it armored, does it have rear air conditioning fitted, etc.)

And lo and behold, there are a few hundred options to fiddle with - including does it have a companion camera fitted (yes) does it have a cradle (yes) - with both on, I get the control screens for the venture cam, but no image (or the prompt to tether the camera to the car)

Wrecker79

Post #278210 30th Aug 2014 6:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1