Home > Photos, Videos & Media > City driving in your Range Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
JIm_H

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Nara Bronze
City driving in your Range Rover

Hello,

I work for What Car? and am testing the Range Rover at the moment.

I'm here to get some feedback from owners (which I hope is ok?), and in particular I'm keen to get views on driving in towns and cities in the Range Rover. Do you get used to it, or is the car's size always too much?

Confession time: I'm in London (outskirts, not Chelsea!) and so probably face the worst of the school run accusations/problems.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

If it's ok to post a link, the story is here: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/cars-range...sc/1291421

Jim Holder
What car?

Post #256133 25th Apr 2014 5:18pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

Hello Jim, here are some thoughts:

I think there is a genuine difference between the new (L405) model which you are running and its older (L322) brother. The old Rangie in my opinion always got away with its bulk in town thanks to its exemplary visibility, and easily-placed bluff sides. Both of these attributes are diminished in the new car, with flared wheelarches and a more restricted rear glasshouse. The large, glitzy wheels that you're running would also, one imagines, create constant headaches in town. Another thing to consider is that the new model, along with its Range Rover Sport sister, has grown substantially in width, to the extent that they struggle with width restrictions. When I tested an early L405 SDV8 I found that all these differences make the car considerably more difficult to manoeuvre in a town environment. That said, all RRs have surprisingly tight turning circles, no doubt a concession to the Knightsbridge customer base Wink.

I can see how it could be argued that on the streets of the capital in particular a Range Rover is one of the more comfortable ways to travel. The high seating position means that one feels elevated above the smog of the traffic, and can see ahead when stuck in a jam, psychologically avoiding a sense of being trapped. The smooth drivetrain is a blessing, the calm cabin provides ample distractions when stuck, and you can play chicken with the large, bullying red buses somewhat more successfully than in your average car (although I accept that the size of the vehicle could attract less in the way of Christian motoring from certain motorists!). All that said, they can be a total PITA to park in town despite all of the latest assist gizmos. Overall I can see why people drive them in central London, despite the existence of more practical alternatives, I'm just not sure whether I would!

Last edited by campaj1 on 25th Apr 2014 6:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #256150 25th Apr 2014 6:06pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I live within the M25 and use my Range Rover L322 every day. A few school runs, popping to waitrose and anything else I need to do. Last weekend we twice went into Central London (Docklands & the City) to visit Museums and both times parked in underground car-parks with strict 6ft 6 inch barriers.

With the command position you see everything and everything sees you so its much safer as a family car for that reason as well as the fact its built a little stronger than the average car...

Thumbs Up

Post #256151 25th Apr 2014 6:14pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

^^ good perspective from the man in the shades Cool Thumbs Up

Post #256152 25th Apr 2014 6:15pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Wouldn't be so sure a twelve-year-old design is safer or stronger than the best of the new stuff.

London is no problem at all (in terms of space taken up on the road, there are an awful lot of bigger vehicles in town), assuming you know where the 6' 6" restrictors are ...

Post #256157 25th Apr 2014 6:21pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

^ Never said it was the strongest just stronger than most Wink

Post #256158 25th Apr 2014 6:23pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

A lot of it is perception... driving something brick-shaped other drivers are going to think it is built like one!

Post #256160 25th Apr 2014 6:24pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

In accidents the strong central cage rarely get completely crushed and front is of course designed to be.

Post #256161 25th Apr 2014 6:26pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I have never had a problem driving around the City of Westminster and the RB of K&C in my L322. Most people there seem to have a Range Rover although you do get some tight spot moments when encountering foreign drivers and school run nutters. Nearly had a head on collision with another L322 in Belgravia when she forgot we drive on the left!

Also parking next to the Boris bike rack areas with their protective bollards has caused a few scratches on my bumpers due to the limited space.

Parking usually is not that bad in reality if you know what you are doing. The Range Rover fits in to the standard marked spaces well. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #256210 25th Apr 2014 8:13pm
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Anywhere a Transit van can go in the city a L322 or L405 can follow with ease. The length of the RR does not trouble me but I have had a few close shaves due to it's width. The RR is a large vehicle but I drive defensively. A competent driver with a modicum of common sense, courtesy for other road users and the ability to read the road will have no trouble using a RR in a city centre environment. Travelling around in circles again.

Post #256216 25th Apr 2014 8:32pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Here the L322 is not a particularly big vehicle. Whistle

I had a loaner Mazda 2 that was significantly worse to park due to terrible rearward visibility.

City centre parking, smaller is always better.

Post #256261 26th Apr 2014 2:02am
Swithins

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Only had my L322 for a month and it's a weekend family car. We have 2 other cars suitable only for a childless couple and are seeing so many advantages of the RR. I bought a RR instead of say a ford or vauxhall as I wanted safety for my daughter, the driving position, space for the usual junk and to slow me down in the road.

In the month I've had the car I have had to go to 2 exhibitions and my clients have taken full advantage of the fact that my car can swallow up the exhibition banners with ease, getting equipment in and out of that boot with the split tailgate is a breeze, no trapped fingers or damaged gear. I have also had on these occasions to pick up the gear from my office in Central London in a Friday.

My experience in London in the RR has been a joy so far. You are more aware of the cycling Taliban as you can finally see them running red lights and turning without letting anyone else known what they are doing by way if a hand signal and with our 5th world roads thanks to ridiculously poor and unprofessional repairs, your spine isn't beaten to a pulp and the gear in your car hasn't been damaged.

Only reason I don't use the RR to commute is the cost and the fact that a 30 minute journey 20 years ago now takes over 90 minutes.

Atb

Gary Current:
1999 SL500
2006 Mini One Chrome wrapped
2008 FFRR 4.2sc

Post #256267 26th Apr 2014 7:18am
nwmgc

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I actually find driving in town (I'm in Fulham) easier in many ways because of the command driving view. It can be a bit reverse-Tardis sometimes when you think you will never get through some of the width restricted barriers, but I haven't had a problem yet. That said, I did witness a new Q7 crush most of its offside by going forwards and backwards in a vain attempt to disengage from an iron bollard... Rolling Eyes
Meanwhile, SWMBO believes its much safer because you can see so much and that other road users tend to get out of the way!
Of course, a FFRR is absolutely essential for the car park ramp at Sainsbury's in the Cromwell Road Very Happy

Post #256694 28th Apr 2014 4:22pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I live in Wraysbury and commute in my l322 every day unless I am working in Wood Norton so prob 3 days a week. To be honest find driving the Range Rover much easier than the XJR's I drove before I would say that most people would have no problem in my opinion

Post #256704 28th Apr 2014 4:51pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I drive a smallish car derived van everyday in the city, (London) around all parts. you get to know how to drive there, and avoid penalties like box junctions, amber lights, rat runs etc. On many occasions I have had the pleasure of driving the range rover, down same roads, at similar times. (but in weekday off-days) It is actually easier. (being auto, and well sighted) and I of course prefer it. I switch off the PDC's as people crossing behind and in front of me distract me. (ie beeps) and sometimes cyclists come through a little close for comfort, (when I'm -paying for repairs)
mine had tints when bought and were removed, as at night they meant you were driving 'van-like' with rear visibility. all being said, you do get an 'edge' over lesser vehicles when 'imposing' yourself for a 'let-in'

my car 2002 l322 v8

and I agree, in K+C area, range rovers rule! drive round say lennox gardens, hans place or king's road side roads, at night, and they are all over the place!

congestion charge was brought in to stop these, but as they live 'in it' they can drive them!

Last edited by johnboyairey on 30th Apr 2014 12:00pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #256790 28th Apr 2014 11:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>