Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > FFRR TD6 '02 Second Battery Fit Out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 
FFRR TD6 '02 Second Battery Fit Out

Had to wait a long time to do this, until I felt it was about time to replace my existing battery a Varta Silver 110ah/920 crank. Replaced with exactly the same model battery up front, leaving me with the opportunity to fit the old one in below the rear right cubby.

I had already made up the leads a long time ago, fitting a 60amp fuse to the red cable, and quick release fittings.

A quick clean up of the old battery, then took to it with my trusty Homesbase tenon saw, removing the "feet" around all four edges to ensure I could get it in.

Released the thick cable run from its clips and lifted it out of the well, then removed the two captive nuts in the cubby floor. Carried out a bit of rust prevention whilst at it.

Dropped the battery into place, snug as a bug right to left, with @ an inch of play fore and aft. The thick wadge of cables slipped neatly around the left edge of the battery.

Earth was found on the other side of the spare wheel compartment, I used the redundant cable clips from the cubby to secure it, and live was fixed to the live fixing to the right of the fuses (on the rear fuse box).

Connected up the front battery first as per normal,

then fitted live then earth to the rear battery.

The cubby support panel (black) nearly almost fits back as normal, just slightly in contact with the live terminal cover, but the two carpeted covers went back into place OK.

All that remains is to put a suitably worded warning notice on the front battery.

"This vehicle is fitted with two batteries. Do not attempt to start vehicle when the front battery is disconnected!"

Hoping, beyond hope, that this will see off any "HDC Inactive" bongs this coming winter!

Any suggestions on improving this setup most welcome. I don't need to power additional devices either inside or outside the vehicle. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #266782 22nd Jun 2014 10:21pm
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black

Lovely tidy job that....I get worried in cold months after using the FBH if there will still enough juice for starting so might look at that, but then I'll have to look as to where to put the detachable tow ball....FF ownership sure is "fun" Whistle GONE 2010 Facelifted 3.6 TDV8 - Stornoway Grey + 22" Overfinch Olympus
HAVE 1999 Discovery 2 GS 4.0 V8 - Silver - Off Road Toy
GONE 2013 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue. Black with Silver roofline and 22" s
HAVE 2015 Jaguar XF.

Post #266811 23rd Jun 2014 8:06am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Yeah, exactly what was needed from the factory TBH. I think the only mode I would make to that is to add an isolator switch to save having to lift trim if you wanted to disconnect it.

Post #266813 23rd Jun 2014 8:11am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

great job Tim [as usual Wink ] , put into wiki. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #266814 23rd Jun 2014 8:14am
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

I have thought about doing this with my TD6.

Did you have to run any cables from the existing battery location or are the connection points already in the boot area. I which case it is just a case of making up cables to fit that area?

If it's the later, it seems like a job I could do myself.

Great mod by the way, very neat and tidy Thumbs Up

Post #266815 23rd Jun 2014 8:15am
Joe90

England 

@ iphs

see the photos, my earth lead was long enough to run around the spare wheel compartment to attach to the earth point behind the LR seat, and the live connection goes onto the right of the rear fuse box.

@ mzplcg

Yes, an isolator in plain view would be handy. Had hoped that the quick release fittings might be more accessible....

@stan

thanks Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #266824 23rd Jun 2014 9:14am
iphs

OK Joe,

So the fitting seems reasonably easy, thank you, I will probably get on with this at the weekend. I might go with the idea of an isolator switch as well.

Couple of questions:

Will the car draw power from both batteries without having to fit relays or changeover switches?

Will the alternator charge both without without the same relays/changeover switches and will the standard alternator be man enough for the job?

With reference to the sticker: What would be the consequence of trying to start the car with the front battery disconnected?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #266930 23rd Jun 2014 5:53pm
Joe90

England 

@iphs ( You may wish to search this and other FFRR forums regarding 2nd batteries to get more qualified answers to your questions)

Will the car draw power from both batteries without having to fit relays or changeover switches?

Yes, so I understand, but you can fit relays and changeover switches to control charging/usage.

Will the alternator charge both without without the same relays/changeover switches and will the standard alternator be man enough for the job?

Yes, so I understand - time will tell ( I am expecting my alternator to be the next thing to break, anyway! Wink

With reference to the sticker: What would be the consequence of trying to start the car with the front battery disconnected?

The cables on the second battery and the wiring back from the rear end is not really capable of coping with cranking amperages, hence the fuse to prevent melting cables and/or fire!! Might work in an emergency, though..... .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #266980 23rd Jun 2014 9:57pm
iphs

Thanks Joe, I will do some research. Thumbs Up

Post #266981 23rd Jun 2014 10:03pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Hi Joe,
With regard to separating the batteries: if batteries are not isolated from one another they should be the same type (which you have) and the same condition (which you don't have). Otherwise (as the 2nd battery continues to age) you can end up in a situation where the battery in worse condition continually draws current from the better battery and actually lessens your potential avail. CCA vs. using only one battery (and increase the likelihood for "HDC Inactive" bongs)...

Not something that you need to be worried about, but something to be aware of. What is a bit silly, tho, is that if you wait until probs manifest themselves you'll once again have a not-brand-new battery to work with. So if you then replace the older battery with a newer unit you'll be in the same situation as now... Rolling Eyes

I have a dual battery system as well - but it is for running my fridge when we go camping. I used something similar to one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-POWER-SPLIT-CH...258ccaa6d5
Course, as you are interested in increasing your everyday battery capacity not in running accy's, this is not of much use for you... Very Happy 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Last edited by SteveMFr on 24th Jun 2014 1:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #267048 24th Jun 2014 9:48am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

So Steve, would it be possible for forum members to add a second battery and have (like a Transit van) one battery purely for starting and battery two for everything else?

Post #267050 24th Jun 2014 10:11am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Theoretically that would not be too hard to do. In practice I see a couple of problems - #1 being that with all the electronics, you'll need to have everything powered at once when starting. If you then imagine a flat starter battery and a healthy secondary battery, you are going to be running much more current through the wiring from the rear battery than it can handle, and Shocked
This is the good thing about Joe's set up: if one battery dies it kills the other with it so no great potential differences in charge.

I'm sure there is a way to do it safely, but I'd have to look at the wiring diags. Serious question or more academic? 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #267090 24th Jun 2014 1:42pm
Joe90

England 

Thanks for additional advice/input SteveMfr.

I purchased the new battery based upon my Ctek refusing to charge it through the ancillary socket (white) on the towbar, telling me it wouldn't take a charge. However when I connected direct to the battery it took a charge fine. This was after having the car off the road for nearly two weeks without starting up, but unlocking and locking, doors opened etc.

So I am hoping B2 is in fairly good nick, but I am tempted to go for an isolator as you mention, which looks like a good product. Thumbs Up .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #267106 24th Jun 2014 3:31pm
iphs

I am not sure which way to go with this Mod at the moment. Confused

In an ideal world the second battery would (when the engine is not running) supply power to the interior lights and other systems that draw power every time the doors are unlocked. This seems to be the main source of battery problems for me (why does the interior have to light up like an oil rig every time I unlock the doors?).. This would leave the starting battery reasonable unscathed if the car isn't started for a number of days. Then of course the second battery would be re-charged whilst the engine was running.

If that is to much to ask for, I may do the Mod as Joe90 but add the split charge system as SteveMFr suggested.

That way I would have a battery for use with aux equipment if required and/or a spare fully charged battery for starting in an emergency. I do take onboard the warnings about trying to start the engine from this second battery and I would use an isolation switch to disconnect from the car and use jump leads to the jump start points in the engine bay.

I am sure if there is a problem with this one of you fine gentlemen will enlighten me. Thumbs Up

Post #267167 24th Jun 2014 9:38pm
Joe90

England 

To get the best of both worlds it seems a modulator for general use with a bypass switch when you need both batteries to work together ?

@iphs you will need some long starter cables! Wink .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #267195 24th Jun 2014 11:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>