Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > practical solutions for gearbox flush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rangie4fun

Austria 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black
practical solutions for gearbox flush

Hi Guys (and girls?),

Last weekend i did the gearbox flush. Not before some preparation. Thought I might share this with you since I made some simple tools that make life easier Very Happy .

The reason for flushing has been discussed in many topics and I'm one of the people who thinks it is worth the moneyand effort to do this in a timely manner. My FF has covered 210.000 km's. And the gearbox has been renewed by the dealer at 115.000 km. In my opinion a bit late, bit not too late for gearbox oil change.

I decided that I would go for a complete flush. I saw this youtube and like that it was going to happen:
&feature=related

First I ordered the correct fluid: Texamatic 7045E and then inspected how to reach everything under the car.
Not easy to acces the pipes connected to the ATF cooler. In contrary the in- and outlet pipes are very easy accesible at the gearbox.

The order in which I ws going to things is:
1. drain the oil pan and remove it
2. remove oilfilter and replace it (original Filtran)
3. clean oil pan and magnet en reinstall it
4. measure the drained oil and refill the same quantaty fresh oil
5. flush out (TC en internals of gearbox)
6. flush cooler
7. top off

As 1 to 3 are straightforward and discussed much here I'm no going to repeat things.

For making things easier on the next steps I bought a brand new filler plug from the dealer and converted it to a real proper filler plug Very Happy First I welded a big nut on it and after that i drilled (with the lathe) a hole in it and soldered a 12mm copper pipe in it in order to attach a hose to it. The hose is led through the engine bay with at the end a funnel where I could pour the fresh oil in it

Through this funnel I added fresh oil in the exact equivalent of drained fluid, residue in the pan and in the filter (thougt this was about 6 litres).

I also made an exact copy of the part of the outlet pipe that goes to the cooler.

The outlet brings the ATF to the cooler and is the upper pipe.

I also made a clamp which holds the pipes attached to the gearbox.(you can use the same bolt)

Connected a hose to it and hang it in a container. On this container I made a scale with increments of 1 litre so I know exactly how much I was going to pump out.

Now I started the car and looked carefully at how much oil was coming out! When 3 litre was spilled I stopped the engine and added this amount of fresh fluid. Then 3 litre pumped out again and added. And then repeated this another time untill I got out and replaced about 11 litres. The latest two litres coming out where clean and fresh oil. Mr. Green So all the old oil was pumped out. Then I reconnected the cooler outlet pipe to the gearbox and did not reconnect the return. At the return I attached a hose which again was hung in the waist oil container. Started the car again and flushed the cooler with another litre of fresh fluid.

Reconnected everything (new O-rings from the dealer for the cooler pipes). Started the car again, hang up the IID Tool to check gearbox oil temp and topped off at the right temperature. Finally reset the gearbox settings. And ready for a test drive: runs really smooth again! Mr. Green

Post #271082 15th Jul 2014 8:28pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Well done !!! Nice one for the Wiki !!! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #271109 15th Jul 2014 10:26pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

good job, and wiki'fied.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #271222 16th Jul 2014 2:23pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Good work Stan, after 4 years still sharp as ever Very Happy MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #271343 16th Jul 2014 10:40pm
chinkoa

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

This reply is aimed at Rangie4fun I do not have easy access to a Lathe to make some of your mods for a full ATF flush as you describe.

My question, is their any reason why I could not connect to the cooler return pipe and flush as your direction ie. 2 or 3 litres a time until all is new? Instead of going down the Gearbox Flush and then Cooler flush route.

Chinkoa

Post #287708 20th Oct 2014 11:28am
Rangie4fun

Hi Cinkoa,

I guess nothing against your suggestion.
I mainly did the gearbox first because I didn' t know if the oil level in the box would exceed the level where the return from the oil cooler was going in and thus make a mess (I now think this is not the case). Another reason was that I wanted to know what kind of oil was going to come out of the box instead of a mix of box and cooler.
So now I think your way is also OK to go.
Please let us know what your experience is.
Good luck!

Post #288133 22nd Oct 2014 5:17pm
chinkoa

Thanks for your reply and input, Always good to have a sounding board. I will be doing the flush in the next week or two after I get my Series 3 I am rebuilding out of the garage. I will let you know how I get on.

On most mornings my gearbox is now hesitating for a few second before the drive takes up. So it seems worth trying a flush to see if it helps.

Post #288186 22nd Oct 2014 9:01pm
chinkoa

This aimed mainly at "Rangie4fun"

Got round to Flushing the Gearbox but doing it in one go. IE. Flushing the old oil out of the oil cooler return, Worked a treat, If any else decides to go down this route just be very methodical have everything to hand when you start.

Wasn't impressed with the oil that came out but I am much happier knowing that it has now got new oil running through it. Like you, I used about 12 Litres 2 of which ran clear.

If any body wants to borrow the Filler plug I will happily post it to you. But please return it when finished.

Thanks due to "Rangie4fun" for showing the way.

Colin

Post #295156 25th Nov 2014 4:59pm
Rangie4fun

Hi Collin,

Glad you done a good job! Thumbs Up
Mine has covered now some 7000 KM since the flush and still changes gears smooth! Laughing Laughing

Did you open up the filter? Gives you an idea of what's going on in the box.

Cheers!

Post #296116 30th Nov 2014 4:57pm
Mark L

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Very interesting read. Top job. Thumbs Up

Post #296123 30th Nov 2014 5:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1