Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Side Steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Side Steps

What does the massive think of the side steps which fitted to some of the FFRR? Personally, I'm not that keen on it,as I think it ruined the look(but only a little bit..)

Even though I dislike the steps, the chances are that I'll have one fitted to the FFRR, (when I eventually decided on one), due to practical reasons i.e. getting on/off, protect it from car park door dings(hopefully), and easier to wash the roof of the FFRR Smile

Post #1504 3rd Dec 2008 6:28am
JOKER

Scotland 

Last year i had a FFRR on loan for a couple of weeks without the running boards and i can honestly say that they were sorely missed on a few occasions when exiting the car i nearly went over on my ankle.

Plus they were easier for the grandparents and children to get in and out of the car, i know i could have lowered the car but the boards are just so much easier to live with, as with them there was no need to open the back doors for them to help them out.

Plus they are handy for washing the roof and windscreen.

As for looks i personally think running boards enhance the FFRR............... unlike the RRS Rolling with laughter . Rolling with laughter

BUT HEY EACH TO THEIR OWN .................. Thumbs Up

Post #1507 3rd Dec 2008 12:11pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I reckon they look fine, I went for the tubes which are purely cosmetic, you can't stand on them.

Either way, the one thing to be aware of is that if you have long legs like me and dont really need to stand on them to get in and out, you can easily get dirt rubbed onto your trousers unless you REALLY swing your leg out past them - a real problem in tight parking spaces where the door won't open enough. Evil or Very Mad Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1512 3rd Dec 2008 1:00pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I have also gone for a set of side tubes which should arrive and be fitted next week. I dont normally have an issue getting in and out but my parents who are shorter and older than me Surprised struggle to get in & out. This gives my mum the opprtunity to moan but then she doesnt need a reason. Anyway i was offered a genuine set of Land Rover Tubes so bought them but purely for visuals and nothing to do with access. A dealer friend said the Side Steps with front Mud flaps can be a pain to allign perfectly and he sometimes sees poorly fitted steps and front flaps, so it may be worthwhile to go for a dealer to fit them - i believe it is the flaps that are the harder bit to allign properly with the steps. I dont think the Tubes are hard to fit and is probally a DIY.

Post #1516 3rd Dec 2008 6:01pm
JOKER

Scotland 

steps can be fitted in 30 mins just a couple of bolts really , lining up the mudflaps are not too bad either unless you have a squint in one eye and not much patience

Post #1519 3rd Dec 2008 8:05pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Fitted my own tubes, took about 2 hours with messing about time.

Got mine from John Craddock Landrover spares, were a bargain, identical to OE ones. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1520 3rd Dec 2008 9:07pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Yes i have been told to allow 1-2 hours for the tubes which i wouldnt mind but i have a full set of Mudflaps to fit which i dont fance so i will get these fitted and probally just get the guy to do the tubes while he is at it. My tubes are O/E but in Black not Chrome so not sure how they will look. Revere had a Car on their website in Silver with Black tubes and it looks good. If mine doesnt i will get a chrome set. Some of the Non O/Es more visual and not strong enough for heavy duty use for stepping on - so i have been told a few brackets have given way.

Post #1522 3rd Dec 2008 9:29pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I know each to their own I guess not many FFRR's are used as proper 4x4's exceptions excepted but why fit somthing that destroys the Ramp over Angle.

That said I do like the deployable ones Whistle

Post #1523 4th Dec 2008 8:34am
RRUK
Site Supporter

I wouldn't think the side tubes make too much difference to the ramp breakover angle, they're very low profile. They do offer some protection too, like very snazzy rock sliders! Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #1524 4th Dec 2008 10:43am
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Trust me they do

And they get trashed very easily tube cannot support the weight of the vehicle at point of breakover

Two sets on the D3 and then Uncle Ray (Aka RLD) on Disco3 produced proper sliders for the D3

Post #1525 4th Dec 2008 11:18am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

steps and tubes can get trashed if you go off road on undulating ground - or over narrow hump backed bridges - experience costs money Confused the damn wall goosed mine

The steps and tubes fit quickly and easily, the pain is when you have to drill the body panels to fit the integrated mud flaps which go with the steps. On vehicles with air suspension the steps (for me) are more cosmetic than useful. I now simply drop the vehicle down. the other thing is if the vehicle is dirty in the winter you get road grime and crap all over your trouser legs off the steps / tubes unless you step on them every time - pain if your going to a dinner party after being out on a shoot and your vehicle's covered in mud.

Steps on the old classics and Discoverys though were very useful - for me anyway especialy with young children and older relatives getting into the back where the doors don't open that far compared to the later vehicles.

I do however like the look of steps on the FFRR, but with front mud flaps only, I think the back flaps make a RR look a bit spaz from behind! like a woman with a gorgeous top half but fat ugly hips and a huge floppy arse Shocked

Post #1535 5th Dec 2008 1:46pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

I think no mud flaps makes the car look naked...

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #1537 5th Dec 2008 5:26pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I like NAKED Laughing

Post #1538 5th Dec 2008 5:36pm
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Not too sure I wanted those side steps now, none of the family members has any prob. getting on/off, apart from my 6 yr old daughter Smile

Washed my car today, I needed a chair to wash the roof Shocked Still deciding tho Confused

I apologise, if I offended anyone on here, I think those chrome side bars looks decidedly very after-market(almost chavvy). All IMO of course...

Post #1541 5th Dec 2008 5:52pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Everyone likes different things, Mick loves his Chrome bits for example! Whistle Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #1548 5th Dec 2008 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>