Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Corroding TPMS valves. Costly and worrying
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 

United Kingdom 
Corroding TPMS valves. Costly and worrying

Corroding TPMS valves on my 2006 car are proving to be a recurring nightmare. Stratstone in Nottingham appear unable to offer advice other than to warn that replacement with standard vales will provoke an MOT failing message on the display
I've already had to spend well over £200 on two occasions after simply trying to check pressure,plus the hassle involved of wheel changing after the instant deflation. This severely reduces my confidence in the car for lone long distance driving. It's hard to understand such vulnerability on an otherwise largely impregnable vehicle

Post #220180 1st Nov 2013 4:29pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Seems to be a very common problem.

After one of those incidents when I checked my pressures just before going on holiday - fully loaded boot etc. I only ever check my tyre pressures at home when I have the time to deal with the potential fallout.

I believe TMPS isn't an MOT failure - but could be wrong - there have been multiple threads on the issue.

I plan to have mine disabled when I eventually get around to buying an IID tool then fit standard valves. Until then, I still have 1 spare TPMS valve in my glove box just in case.

Post #220186 1st Nov 2013 4:57pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

IIRC TPMS is only a failure on vehicles registered after 2012. If registered before then its only an advisory.

I replaced my TPMS valves with a £30 set from eBay earlier this year (described as suitable for Jaguar and Land Rover) - they work ok

The new valves sync up to the vehicle automatically when driving, except for the spare, which needs to be added using a computer or fitted to the vehicle for 15 mins of driving before being placed back in the boot (I didnt replace my spare - not corroded as never been used!) 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #220189 1st Nov 2013 5:07pm
GraemeC

Re. the broken valves - I keep a compressor in my boot for emergencies and use this to check tyre pressures

It screws onto the valves so does not put stress on them like a garage hose and is significantly more accurate 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #220190 1st Nov 2013 5:10pm

United Kingdom 

Many thanks for some informative and helpful suggestions. Apparently the monitoring system on my 2012 BMW F11 runs off the ABS which seems a good deal less clunky to me.

Post #220192 1st Nov 2013 5:18pm
GraemeC

The passive systems have much less to go wrong, but are less accurate than active TMPS systems

I did read a great article on this a while back but can only seem to find a rather dull wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #220194 1st Nov 2013 5:29pm
taskam

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I was told to only use plastic valve caps with the RR TMPS valves, as the metal ones cause faster corrosion (sacrificial metal and other black magic) 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE Java Black

Post #220195 1st Nov 2013 5:31pm
steve9bug

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

If you put standard valves in can the tpms not be turned off like on other cars

Post #220196 1st Nov 2013 5:43pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i did that with an IIDTool Steve.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #220212 1st Nov 2013 7:16pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Stan,

Interesting that my dealer told me once that TPMS couldn't be disabled.

So glad my SC AB hasn't got it!!! What a total PiTA Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #220245 1st Nov 2013 9:32pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Dealers refuse to turn off TPMS on the grounds that it's a safety feature (their diagnostics kit won't allow them to), but as Stan says, and I can confirm, it can be turned off with an IIDTool! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #220248 1st Nov 2013 9:38pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Gents,

My apologies for the thread resurrection, but I was doing a search and came across this as relevant, so thought I'd simply add to it.

My SC had a 'puncture' first thing this morning. Instant TPMS warning from start-up. Tyres all fine on Saturday and no visual clue yesterday when cleaning. Drove all of 60 yards and had to stop. Reversed back.

From previous posts in this thread, can someone please confirm if corroded TPMS valves can rapidly deflate a tyre?

I suspect that may have happened to me earlier. Embarassed Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #278438 1st Sep 2014 12:59pm
taskam

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I've only heard of the corroded valve snapping when attempting to use compressor. I guess they could just give way on their own in the right (or wrong really) conditions 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE Java Black

Post #278445 1st Sep 2014 1:31pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Si,

When one of the brittle/ corroded TPMS valves snapped off on ours, it did so when I was simply trying to put air in the tyres at a local service station. The tyre partially deflated during the snapping off process (the tyre inflation connector had peen positioned onto the TPMS valve, I had actually put air in and it was whilst trying to remove the inflation connector from the metal valve stem that the valve snapped and the air escaped).

Probably doesn't answer your question Embarassed

Thumbs Up

Post #278448 1st Sep 2014 1:39pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Ryan, in this instance it doesn't, but I get where you're coming from. Thumbs Up

I haven't checked the tyre pressures in a few weeks, so am pretty sure the TPMS valves are reasonably undisturbed.

However, I do know they will need replaced and am aware of their propensity to suddenly 'go', from reading the posts above. This just seems rather sudden (both of how quickly the air escaped, it would seem and, if correct, of the valve failure).

I'd like to know if rapid deflation is possible should a TPMS valve suddenly decides, of its own accord and without any intervention, to fail.

Either way, I'll be changing the wheel later but it'd help if I could establish the potential cause and prepare myself for a possible financial spanking. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #278450 1st Sep 2014 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>