Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > End of my tether
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Skorpion84

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Chawton White
End of my tether

Hi everyone, current overjoyed owner of the l322 3.0td6 2004.. Recently shutdown as driving along a dual carriageway, leave it for 10mins and fires back up again albeit after 3 attempts.. Drive along & expect it to have me at the side of the road before I reach my 5th mile..

So far & ever since the following I have replaced LR direct -
Secondary inline fuel pump
Fuel filter
Fuel filter sensor
Fuel rail pressure sensor

It's still doing it, plugged in it comes up with -
Po9f6 rail pressure control during cranking
P1260 delivery fuel pressure monitoring
P1613 engine stability controller

You can't begin to imagine my appreciation to anyone who may be able to help... Thank you Big Cry Big Cry

Post #284058 2nd Oct 2014 9:57am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I suggest to do fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently, although unlikely that that is the cause.

Has the actual fuel pressure been tested and is the primary pump OK. What is the mileage of the car.

Has someone checked inside the tank to see if everything there is hunkydory ?? The rear seat needs to come out for that.

I can imagine problem with dirt/crap in the tank clogging up the inlet of the pump for example.

I suggest to also get the entire fuel line cleaned, just to make sure there is no crap in it. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #284069 2nd Oct 2014 11:24am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Faulty fuel pump relay?

Post #284074 2nd Oct 2014 11:41am
Skorpion84

First of all thank you both for the response.. Fuel filter has already been changed around the same time the inline pump was. Ill mention here that on a good few occasions over the 3yrs owning it I have ran it mega low so indeed the grime in the line or stuck in the tank as you suggest both make sense, this has not been looked into yet.. Its covered 110000miles & I have here a cam sensor bought today which is ready to be fitted in continuation of my wild fault finding...

Fuel pump relay is 1 I'll look into also I didn't think that would be at fault since it actually does run & then dies.... Current:

Range rover vogue 3.0td6
chawton white

Post #284124 2nd Oct 2014 7:56pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

are there not 2 fuel pumps? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #284126 2nd Oct 2014 8:04pm
Skorpion84

Yeh stan inline fuel pump & primary pump situated in the tank by the sound of it... Current:

Range rover vogue 3.0td6
chawton white

Post #284127 2nd Oct 2014 8:08pm
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I had the same issue with a 3.6TDV8 and was the lift pump in the tank.

Post #284128 2nd Oct 2014 8:10pm
Chauch

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

I had a very similar thing on an old Mustang many years ago, and that was cr4p in the bottom of the fuel tank that kept clogging up the filter, always at the same sort of miles driven, then of course drained away by the time you checked it so all appeared normal and fuel appeared to be pumping OK. 4.2 Supercharged Vogue SE

Post #284130 2nd Oct 2014 8:16pm
Skorpion84

Sako is this otherwise known also as the sender unit as this has been mentioned by a friend who works for stratstones... Current:

Range rover vogue 3.0td6
chawton white

Post #284131 2nd Oct 2014 8:16pm
Skorpion84

Sometimes the £20 a day just winds me up on top of other daily expenditures & yes I have made her feel the thirst, & this is how she gets me back.. So it comes about there is gunk apparently what sits on the bottom of the tank & this getting sucked up sounds like the 1.... Is there a way I can flush this myself or is this a messy business? Current:

Range rover vogue 3.0td6
chawton white

Post #284140 2nd Oct 2014 8:28pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

The good thing is that the plastic fuel tanks don't have the rust problem that metal tanks used to have, so that is a big plus. But water/crap getting into the tank over time is a potential problem since the car has been around for a while.

You can do the clean yourself but it is a messy business indeed.

When my SC had it's in tank pump and fuel system cleaned, the car stank quite badly for a bit even though they didn't spill anything in the interior as far as I could see (everything that could "hold" petrol was removed).

I would probably "invest" in having it done in a proper indy workshop where they have all the kit to do it efficiently (read quick and clean) even though it is a bit of money. You could do some work yourself like remove the rear seat and that to reduce the cost for that. They are supposed to be heavy bits though so mind your back.

Especially cleaning the fuel lines is not something done easily at your average home garage, the tank you could do at home quite well though.

My suggestion (if it turns out to be crap in that area) is to have all done in one go so that you won't have any risk of crap getting into cleaned parts again.

When the SC was done, they also cleaned the inside of the inlet manifold thoroughly by the way, it was full of this black sludgy coating. The car ran much better afterwards (of course the new fuel pump and filter made a difference as well).

So good luck and keep us posted on what you find Smile

By the way, the relay could be a potential cause although my money, based on the way the problem seems to occur, is crap in the fuel system that clogs it up quickly, then when the suction stops it drifts down again but not far enough to be sucked in again next time.

I also think it is way past injector/fuel system cleaner products although you may want to give that a go anyway, just to see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't it won't tell you anything if it does it makes the case for crap in the fuel system a bit stronger IMHO. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #284204 3rd Oct 2014 2:52am
Skorpion84

With all that you have mentioned, it is destined now on a flatbed to a renowned indy up lancashire.. The grime sucked up into the system is making a lot of sense right now knowing my car the way I do. Atleast its got all its potentially failing sensors & components replaced in the process.

I too took the opportunity to clean out the intake with a good old can of oven cleaner & a jetwash, if only I took a pic of the years of carbon & oil sludge build up it was horrendous!! Once I put it all back together there was a huge noticeable difference under throttle, & then it died, again Crying or Very sad

I will keep you posted on what goes on & thankyou for your excellent input.. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Current:

Range rover vogue 3.0td6
chawton white

Post #284227 3rd Oct 2014 10:29am
trainmanone

England 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

Did you get this sorted

Peter have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #299722 18th Dec 2014 8:39pm
stcstc31

Ireland 2005 Range Rover SE Td6 Atacama Sand

mine did just this

turned out to be the external fuel pump. it would only do it when there was around 1/3 of a tank of fuel

Post #299726 18th Dec 2014 8:59pm
Skorpion84

Fuel pump failure

Feel rather p'd off but at the same time feel good knowing any & every fuel related component, connection is replaced or otherwise greased up & revitalised where it deemed fit..

Should have been the 1st thing but it was the last, turns out pressure sensors & regulators were all doing their job when indicating to me through diagnostics that fuel pressure was coming through very low.. Cool It would turn out that in actual fact the intank fuel pump had worn out & was shutting down as the car warmed up...

So here we go -

Removed the seats, tank casing, pipes & plug to reveal the unit within. This was a fiddly b****rd to remove & wow did it require some patience. Deliberately over the time let the fuel run low trust me you don't want anymore than a litre in there when you're going in. Eventually out it came opening the dome the pump was connected to various fuel lines etc with a mesh filter slotted to the bottom fuel intake. This mesh filter was caked in black sludge deposits where the plastic tank itself was spotless the filter hairline holes were almost if not fully blocked. Replaced everything with new pump steam cleaned the dome, filter & etc. Reconnecting the plug once the pump is back in the tank requires skill & patience, mainly a long flathead screwdriver & then precision.. Turning the key to ignition a few times allowing the fuel pump to prime & standby before
Firing up the range it roared into life & has not shutdown on me whilst driving once. Mr. Green

So there we have it, the fault was a worn end of life fuel pump confirmed when opened up as you would a baked bean can, revealing the bushes with copper surfaces no longer copper, the internals of the pump had seriously seen better days.

Having investigated everything & much more mainly fuel related I will at this stage happily help anyone out with a similar issue/s if required I can travel in and around manchester & have you a brand new pump fitted within 2hrs, & can tell you by the cars behaviour where the issue if other most probably lies. Any questions feel free to shout me, thank you once again to everyone's input on the matter & I hope this info here helps someone out before you elbow drop your beloved range.. Thumbs Up Current:

Range rover vogue 3.0td6
chawton white

Post #307387 23rd Jan 2015 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>