Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Fuel Burning Heater - Excessive Smoke??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black
Fuel Burning Heater - Excessive Smoke??

New to the site and to Range Rovers, so hoping someone can help.

Can anyone with a TD6 reassure me on the amount of smoke emitted by the FBH when the temp is below 5 deg C.

Until recently the unit hasn't operated much as the temp has been high enough, but in the last week or so it has been on a lot as the temp hasn't gone much above 5 deg C.

I didn't notice the smoke until I had LR Assistance out to a (yet another) suspension fault. While it was sat idling at about 4 Deg C clouds of smoke came out from the underside every now and again. The LR guy said it was normal, But while I'd expect a puff of smoke I wouldn't expect a big choking cloud to come out for 30 seconds or so..

I haven't seen another RR, D3 or FL do this, so don't know if mine is faulty or not. It does seem excessive and I am getting some funny looks from others (especially the copper who got a lung full while directing traffic yesterday! Embarassed ).

The LR guy told me that Jag's have the same heater and there was a mod to the pipework to prevent excessive fuel getting into the burner/exhaust when it had shut down.

Post #1506 3rd Dec 2008 9:45am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

These can be a problem, but rarely, sounds like you are unlucky.

have a read of this thread over on our sister site, you may want to get in touch with the author and see if he can help: Maybe a trip to the dealer?

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic11918....ing+heater

Have a check under the car for leaking diesel, you'll notice the smell too, if its got a leak it might be spitting diesel onto a hot surface and then burning off, causing smoke. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1510 3rd Dec 2008 12:50pm
Larry

Cheers for that. From the sounds of it I may have a problem. It's been making the smoke screen for 2 weeks now, so it should have died down if it does that for the first couple of times in winter. The smoke is preceeded by an overpowering smell of diesel (I usually pray that the traffic will start moving at this point so i can leave the envitable smoke screen behind! Smile )

The smoke is enough to choke anyone standing within 6 feet of the car. It has to go back to the dealer anyway for the 6th time in 2 months for a fault that they don't seem able to fix, so I'll take it in early doors so they can witness it first hand (assuming the temp will stay low).

May even video it to show them to prevent the usual "oh, a bit of smoke is perfectly normal". I have worked on diesel powered vehicles with Webasto or Eberspacher heaters before, and they do make some smoke (especially when the burners are coked) but this is like a bonfire under the car!

RRUK your reply was most helpful. Cheers.

Post #1514 3rd Dec 2008 1:17pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

hi i use mine each morning and i havnt noticed any smoke but i have heard that the exhaust on them will leak a bit for the first few times of use if it hasnt been used for a long period and it has to reseal itself i could be wrong and i probly am but if it is that bad maybe dont use it and get it checked out by a dealer at the end of the day youve got diesel going into a burner thats possibly not working correctly and in that case uve got the pottential of a serius fire issue in the worse case scenario so for the sake of at most £100 getting it checked out youll have peace of mind and a nice warm FFRR Thumbs Up onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #1583 6th Dec 2008 2:09pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Slightly off topic but I have noticed that since I had a flat battery a few months back, mine finds it much harder to start if I use the pre heater, the longer its on, the harder it is to start. A sure sign my battery is not what it was. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1598 8th Dec 2008 10:44am
Larry

In a conversation with a Land Rover technician about FBH's he advised that it was a bad idea to use the timer/key fob switch on for the FBH (ie. without the engine running) as it kills batteries. His opinion was not to use it full stop.

As an update, I video'd the FBH smoking and the LR main dealer took a look and agreed that it was much worse than it should be. Hopefully they can sort it out now. Don't know what the root cause fault is yet.

Post #1599 8th Dec 2008 10:48am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

If you have a decent battery. then there is no problem using the FBH and /or the remote - its the vehicles best feature imho. Nothing like getting into a toasty warm car on a frosty morning and all the windows are clear and defrosted...

Post #1601 8th Dec 2008 11:03am
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Guys, Sorry to sound an idiot Embarassed but is the FBH, the thing what warms up the car before you get in it in the morning. I remember hearing that this was possible on a ffrr but have never checked to see if mine has it. I have a 2004 TD6 Vogue and i dont think i have this but perhaps someone can confirm and if so how i use it etc.

Post #1604 8th Dec 2008 11:11am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Is is to my knowledge only available on the Diesel vehicles, standard on Vogue but not sure from which MY.

Mine has a separate remote control on the key fob, press the button 15 to 20 minutes before I plan to leave and hey presto the car is warm and toasty. Also you can set a timer to come on at pre set times every morning in the car - say if you leave for the office at 8.00 a.m. every morning just set it for 7.30, ditto for when you leave the office.

The remote works on mine from about 1/2 mile away - incredible range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wouldn't be without it.

The pre heater in car controls are availakle through the sat-nav control screen - all details in the handbook

Post #1609 8th Dec 2008 4:16pm
Full fat not diet

Thanks Vogue for the reply. Mine is the Diesel Vogue (2004) but i dont have an additional key fob. It sounds great and i hope i have it. I will look through the handbook and Sat Nav Controls to see. If anyone knows which model year it was available for then please let me know

Post #1611 8th Dec 2008 4:54pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I think some Vogue MY's had the heater but no remote - this had to be purchased separately. 2006 on it was all standard. The FBH was/is available as an aftermarket kit as well.

Oh and if you watch Ice Road Truckers, its a FBH these guys use to prevent their nuts freezing off at -40 Shocked

Post #1612 8th Dec 2008 6:19pm
Full fat not diet

I will have a read through the manual to see if i have the heater etc although i am fairly confident there is no remote fitted as Car has been in Family since brand new and this wasn't mentioned by Bro in law as an extra.

Funnily enough i did occassionally watch Ice Road Truckers Laughing i hope our weather doesnt get to that extreme !

Post #1613 8th Dec 2008 7:38pm
Larry

No remote with mine or the option on the touch screen to set the timer etc.

I think that the software on the D3 did have the option to control the FBH, but later releases don't have it.

I was wondering if LR can upgrade the software to at least control the FBH from the touch screen, or even if adding the remote is straight forward. I will ask them next time I'm in the dealer (which is quite often! Crying or Very sad ).

Despite the warning about running batteries flat etc. have always liked the idea of either a timer or remote heater to keep down engine wear and make getting going on a cold day easier. I toyed with the idea of fitting an electric Eberspacher one to my SIII but never got round to it. I may just do what the Nordic types do and fit a 240v fan heater in the cabin and run a lead (timer fitted) to an outside 240v supply. Just need to remember to remove the cable before setting off Very Happy.

Post #1623 9th Dec 2008 10:06am
RRUK
Site Supporter

If your battery is ok it has no impact, never had an issue all last winter but think my battery is damaged from running totally flat once. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #1624 9th Dec 2008 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1