Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Common rattles or vibrations on ffrr's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mustard

England 
Common rattles or vibrations on ffrr's

Ive had a rattle / vibration on the car since Ive owned it and its driving me mad now. Ive had it in the indie's and they cant find it but I think they are expecting it to happen when the car is stationary despite me stating it wont do it if its standing still.

From inside it sounds as though its somewhere underneath the drivers side of the car, sounds like a metal pipe vibrating against a heat shield or similar but only happens when travelling at super low speeds such as rolling through a KFC drive through or stuck in traffic jams and the like.

Any pointers on things to check would be appreciated with this 1.

Thanks in advance.

Post #293640 16th Nov 2014 11:48pm
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Hi mustard. Had exactly the same as you since owning the car. Only happens at really slow or stop speed. I think I've narrowed it down to the steering or brake driver's side. It may just be a quirk with these cars cus others on here have had same and not found an answer to this problem.
I find, pulling out of my drive checking traffic in the lane, so I'm very very slow or stop, the car vibrates through the steering wheel and brake pedal, I've changed the brake pads all round the vibration is not as bad but have also found very slight movement in my offside track rod ball joint so will be changing that when I get around to it. It maybe never find an answer so I'm not overly worried or concerned as the car drives beautiful . Sorry can't be of any more help only my own experience so far.
greg.

Post #293660 17th Nov 2014 7:32am
gregdav

Forgot to add , also got vibration off front brake mud shields drivers side particularly bad but wont change until I change the discs next year. This does happen at about 1,000 rpm and can do it while not moving. Mud shields fix or replace are well documented on here. Thumbs Up

Post #293668 17th Nov 2014 8:25am
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

I've a vibration at 55 ish again when in top had box done a few months ago and all bushes and rods are good as are the tyres as virtually new all round it's driving me mad now and have no idea, maybe the TC is slightly out of balance as 1mm weight out can cause apparently going to see Neil smith this week Crying or Very sad _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #293672 17th Nov 2014 8:37am
gregdav

Sorry to hear that mate Sad
hope neil can sort it for you Thumbs Up
greg.

Post #293677 17th Nov 2014 9:01am
Mustard

England 

I cant feel any vibration inside the cab, only hear it clattering away underneath me Banging Head

Post #293846 18th Nov 2014 12:10am
SMUTT

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I get exactly the same. I too am quite particular about these things being perfect.

But as I have a host of other maintenance issues like pcv valve replacement, radiator and heater hose replacement, aircon leak, poss pre-emptive strike replacement of air bags etc this is very low priority.

If this is the worst thing in your FF you are one of the lucky ones. Thumbs Up

.. Howard

Post #293852 18th Nov 2014 1:09am
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Mustard wrote:
I cant feel any vibration inside the cab, only hear it clattering away underneath me Banging Head

More than likely to be the front or rear brake disc dust/mud shields. They are held on by three screws and have a habit of rusting away and becoming loose, leading to the sometimes tinny rattle or clatter you describe.
If you look behind the front or rear brake disc, you will see the shield, give it a shake and that will tell you if it's solidly fixed or not. If the shields are loose, you can sometimes get away with resecuring them using oversize washers to cover the rusted screw holes on the shields. Otherwise, you can cut them off and discard them or replace them. Due to the way the shields are made (pressed piece of sheet metal) the official LR way to replace them is to take the hub off to get the new shields on, however an easy fix is to cut the new shield from outside edge to centre hole, bend the flap of metal out of the way (the shields are quite flimsy construction), slide into position and secure with new screws, then bend the metal flap back into position and tack weld where the cut was made.

Let us know if you find what it is. Thumbs Up

Post #293922 18th Nov 2014 2:22pm
Mustard

England 

Excellent, we will be looking at them tomorrow so shall let you know if it was them (I hope it is)

Post #294247 19th Nov 2014 10:44pm
bertie wooster

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I have recently experienced a rattle on a L405.

The best way to describe it was a vibration similar to two elements rubbing against one another.This only occurred at low revs and when the car didn't have the opportunity to quickly go from low to high revs.For example being in stop-start traffic when leaving the city during rush hour.

A franchised dealers' tech identified the sound occurring at 1400 rpm.The car was subsequently put on a ramp and the source of the sound discovered.

It was the protective trays (gearbox and engine) under the vehicle rubbing against one another.A simple adjustment taking 10 minutes sorted it.

Post #294428 20th Nov 2014 8:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1