Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Anybody any experience of X5's ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Mustard

England 
Anybody any experience of X5's ?

Im thinking of getting rid of the Rangie and getting a BMW X5, something like a diesel 3.0 sport with all the toys.

Haven't fully decided on fuel type yet so maybe a V8 petrol will be better but Im looking for some common faults etc as a heads up.

I know the 2005 diesels use the same 3.0 straight 6 as the TD6 but is the gearbox the same and if so is it as Censored weak as the TD6 box ?

Any info is appreciated.

Post #297545 7th Dec 2014 7:35pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Any particular reason why you're considering this move? Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #297551 7th Dec 2014 8:05pm
Silversurfer13

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Java Black

X5 are rock solid BMWs and great to drive.
You don't need to slow down for roundabouts in them.

However

Nothing like a FF. You won't feel that sense of occasion driving one as they feel like your driving a car, a decent well built and driver focused car, but a car nonetheless. The suspension allows you the ability to throw it around but the downside is that you don't feel like you're cruising on a pillow of air.

I don't believe the gearboxes are the same used in early FFS as they seem a lot more robust, but I could be wrong.

For what it's worth I think you should buy and live with one for 6months. If you're looking for a face lifted model with the slightly more powerful 3.0d engine you'll probably get away with moving it on at pretty much the same money you bought it for and there are plenty of them to choose from out there.

The X5s are great cars, but they're just not a FF.

Post #297553 7th Dec 2014 8:29pm
Mustard

England 

Im considering the move as Ive spent more than enough money keeping this thing happy, I cant continue to chuck money away, dont get me wrong I love the car but I also have a life to pay for as well and im getting tired of the rr demanding money with menaces' . I cant keep the car forever as I would like to use its residual value to put into something else and obviously the longer I take to do that the less Im going to have.

I enjoy the command driving position which is making it impossible for me to go back to driving a car at the moment. Ive liked the X5's appearance and seeing as though it shares a lot of the same toys as the rr I figured it may be a suitable replacement.

Also what is the facelifted X5, what year is it done on, I would like to see the pre & post facelifted models.

Post #297561 7th Dec 2014 8:50pm
Seabass

Sweden 

I come from a 3.0d sport e70
I would sum it up like this; fun to drive on good tarmac, hell to drive on bad tarmac/gravel, great engine, good fuel economy, small load space, bad electric system they changed pretty much everything on mine so make sure to buy one with warranty or post 2010.
Comfortseats is a must, poor leather quality, other than that like other premium cars.
I won't get another after having my current FF. 2010MY TDV8 Vogue Nara bronze / Arabica, Ivory. VW Amarok 2013 180 auto
Swedish LR club member #5333

Post #297562 7th Dec 2014 9:02pm
Silversurfer13

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Java Black

I think the facelift came in 2004 along with the more efficient and powerful 3.0d engine. It also got the widescreen satnav and probably a few other better thought out goodies.

I may be going out on a limb here but I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky, or buy a dud, to not save money through cost of ownership and stress less worrying about its reliability.
It's probably the wrong forum for me to make slanderous accusations like that but it is what I believe to be true real based on what little knowledge and experience I have.
That said; I couldn't go to an X5 now. I could happily get the wife one and enjoy its ownership but now I've FF'd I wouldn't be satisfied in one as mine.
I would entertain a quad pipped M version but that'll be when I don't want a 4x4, I'd want something that should've never been built in the first instance and that strangely enough appeals to me Shocked

Post #297586 7th Dec 2014 10:24pm
Mustard

England 

I appreciate your thoughts.

Everyone on here knows that rr's cost money to maintain, its just the scale of money involved is different for everyone but everyone has there limit, some its the first few hundred quid, others it circa £5k, after that, well......is it worth spending that kind of money ?

Anyone who says there faultless or just as problematic as any other car is probably trying to sell you 1 Wink

Ive never owned a motor that has consumed as much ££ as a rr and neither have my pals, I'm borderline on 'had enough' where repairing it is concerned, my limit is approaching.....

Post #297588 7th Dec 2014 10:34pm
A1GSS

England 

Avoid the run-flat tyres.. Seriously horrid. What a crap idea. Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #297605 7th Dec 2014 11:36pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Mustard wrote:

Anyone who says there faultless or just as problematic as any other car is probably trying to sell you 1 Wink...

Seven years two Full Fat's and one rear calliper and one compressor on the first on ( both under warranty but not expensive)and absolutely zipp on the second.
You hang out on forums you get a slewed opinion Laughing
But I have no opinion of the X5 at all , now the X6 I Censored hate that Evil or Very Mad 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #297613 8th Dec 2014 2:30am
Stephen.Gazard

2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey

Between my current Rangie and my previous 4.2 Supercharged Sport I had an bi-turbo X5 diesel MSport ..... did around 40k miles in a year, never put a foot wrong, nothing other than service and MOT .... looked great and drove great ..... I spent a fortune having full X5M body kit and wheels put on ......

but, as someone above has said ... no sense of occasion and doesn't give you the same feeling at all - especially if you come to it from FFRR ...... I spent a year getting into it feeling 'it's just not a range rover' so came back to the fold for my 10th Rangie ..... which in typical fashion then spent the majority of the first two months back at the dealer for repairs !!

.... in summary ... great car that I can't fault .... but a business tool rather than the all encompassing life choice that is a Rangie...

Stephen Gazard

Range Rover L405 Vogue SE SDV8 - CamTech / Overfinch Bespoke
Maserati GT 2017
Mercedes SL55 AMG

Aston Martin DB9 07 - gone back to friend bought from, RR Classic 90 - gone, BMW 840ci - gone, RR TDV8 Overfinch 07 - gone, Porsche 911 (996 Carrera 2 98 - gone, BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport 08 - gone, RR Sport 4.2 Supercharged 05 - gone, BMW M3 Convertible 02 - gone, Range Rover 4.4 Autobiography 03 - stolen!, Range Rover 4.6 Vogue 01 - gone, Range Rover 4.6 Autobiography - gone

Post #297637 8th Dec 2014 9:18am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i had a 2007 e70 4.8 msport and it was a load of Censored .... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #297638 8th Dec 2014 9:22am
Andy B

England 

Don't hold back Stan! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter SDV8 AB MY 2019
SDV8 VSE MY 2015 - Gone
5.0 S/C AB MY 2010 - Gone
4.2 S/C VSE MY 2006 - Gone

Post #297715 8th Dec 2014 4:11pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

Ask Jeremy Clarkson whet he thinks of them!

Buy one by all means but don't go anywhere near snow or a grassy slope!!

Post #297725 8th Dec 2014 5:01pm
Chillb

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Rimini Red

Had a beautiful 03 Vogue from 30k and sold at 99k in the main due to fuel running costs otherwise looking back I should have kept it. Tried, do not know how many times to get a test drive from Land Rover in a Discovery or Sport but as usual they were not receptive unless i was a 'buyer' or they had the 'right' one in for me to potentially test/buy. BMW on the other hand was slightly more receptive and consequently I made the mistake of buying an 07 Diesel (also allegedly it was the best on MPG). Within days of driving I hatted it, even managed to find one with adaptive suspension (rare), comfort sets, due to their hard ride thought it would help but both these did not help much and in the end had to buy another set wheels and non run flat tyres, much better. The problems did not stop there, seating position, centre arm rest (or lack of them) was terrible, the arm rest area by the window was impossible due to the shape, the cabin was small and cramped, more of a 5 series cabin. MPG was no where near their purported, could not even manage 28 on a run. On the plus it sat well on the road but could not wait to sell it even after trying to settle in with it. After got a Discovery 3 which was heaven to drive.
We really need to be able to borrow a car for a least a day to see if its what you want but all you normally get is 30mins and its difficult to 'get a feel'.
Hope this helps.

Post #297736 8th Dec 2014 5:49pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

chillb, that was my impression as I am sure we have all looked at alternatives. X5 was too small for me and a 5 series on stilts was how I saw it Thumbs Up

Post #297742 8th Dec 2014 6:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>