Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Newbie with a couple of question (RR2002 Vogue)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
BenjaminD

Australia 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black
Newbie with a couple of question (RR2002 Vogue)

Hi all,

First of all I want to introduce myself. I'm Benjamin and I've recently purchased a 2002 RR Vogue. I've been lurking around for quiet a while and have been using the vast amount of info and tips found on this forum. I sincerely thank the community on here to share all their knowledge, it already helped me out a couple of times.

The first non-solvable issue I got with my new purchase, and apparently I'm not the only one, is the infotainment unit in the car. The satnav is not functioning and losing pixels and I lack musical choices. (Only 6CD, tape and radio). I am a music professional and the "car-check" is a daily part of my profession. So having access to Aux-in or iPhone in is really a must for me.

I've been looking around for quiet awhile now and I've bought an aftermarket unit from a company that repeatedly claimed it would fit my car and all BMW X5's (http://www.digoptions.com/category_s/2055.htm). I gave the company my vin-number, photos of the dash, year and model. Installer came this morning and the frame and the cables didn't fit at all. The company now says it won't fit if it has an satnav by default. I'm happy to cut in the frame if that's the only major adaption to make.

I've been looking to some other options and it has been confusing at best. A couple of questions to make my research a tad easier.

1. I have a 2002 Range Rover Vogue (with DSP), does this year of make excludes the next years? (2003/2004). Some links suggest that 2003 is different than 2002 and other links suggest that everything from 2002 to 2006 is pretty much the same.

2. To make it short, I've been looking through 500+ posts to find any option but I yet have to find a successful aftermarket unit. There's a lot of posts on it but rarely find confirmation. Could someone push me to a link of a working system?

3. For what I found out now without having confirmation on aforementioned units, is the swapping to a MKIV BMW system my easiest option? And then install an intravee?

I'm sorry for the many questions, but I already blew 600 AU$ on the first unit (that was a 100% fit according to the company) and I don't want to make any other mistakes. I'm happy to do the work and research but some pushes in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

My goal would be to have a working unit with the DSP system with
1. aux-in or iPhone in
2. sat-nav (Australia)
3. Steering wheel controls

... anything else is optional.

I do apologize to creat ANOTHER post about this bloody infotainment upgrade but I would appreciate any push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards,

Benjamin

Post #297621 8th Dec 2014 6:51am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic27033.html?highlight=android

Hi mate, would this unit be something that would work for you ? MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #297622 8th Dec 2014 6:54am
BenjaminD

Hey, thanks for your quick response. I've read the post multiple times but it implies that I get rid of the existing DSP system, which was one of the "plusses" for me to buy the car (considering my profession in high-end audio).

Post #297623 8th Dec 2014 6:56am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

The other solution is upgrading to a 2010+ model year Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #297624 8th Dec 2014 7:05am
BenjaminD

Well since I just went through the hassle of buying a new car, and the 2010+ being well over my budget, not really an option. Very Happy

Would love to know if there's any confirmed aftermarket unit that actually does work.

Post #297625 8th Dec 2014 7:08am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You could use the Android unit with a separate amp and crossovers, just treat it as a "normal" ICE upgrade, you end up with four outputs from the head unit and 10 pairs of speaker wires in the boot (running 11 speakers as the front middle one is piggybacked) and wiring for a sub, there is plenty of room to fit amps etc in the boot when all the original stuff has been removed and the unit does work well... steering wheel controls SatNav etc...

Copy and give the wiring diagrams on the post to your fitter and it's a simple and straightforward job...

That unit you bought looks to be the old non Android unit, the processors are very small and not up to the job and it is very basic compared to the later unit...

The problem is getting the DSP amp to switch on and work as this is done via the canbus, can't understand why someone can't sort it but it's obviously harder than it looks.....

You can offset the cost by selling your old stuff, I only had the head unit, GPS unit and CD changer that worked and got back more than the Android unit cost.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #297641 8th Dec 2014 9:54am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well the mk4 Nav will make it a bit more useful, offering a dvd based system and a 3d perspective mode.

To get aux in on the stock system you will need to use the aux in on the bm54 unit in the boot. This will require the latest firmware on the bm54 and a loom making up to give the input connectors you want to use.

A bm54 from a later bmw should have the later firmware on, if you can alternatively source one of those.

Not sure what's available in Australia, but there is a chap on this forum that offers a power amp upgrade to the bm54 that is well worth it if you like your music, and he can load the later firmware on it, and fit a lead direct to the bm54 for the iPhone jack, be it 3.5 mm or red and white rca plugs. That would be a one stop shop, and give you all you need.

I've done it and I'm very happy.

I've also added a bmw ULF unit so the car pairs with my mobile phone and I have voice control and a digital TV tuner, all sourced from later bmw's and are a direct swap......

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #297803 8th Dec 2014 10:01pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Potential not much help as I can't remember exactly.......

There's a BMW line input kit that works, but I had to change something else to make it work - BM54 sounds familiar

Sorry, it was 10 years ago.....

Post #297813 8th Dec 2014 10:44pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Here you go -

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw...p-156.html

The kit is a BMW part and probably available from any dealer

The BM54 I boughht came from ebay - I got nearly as much for my BM53 so was quite a cheap upgrade.

Post #297814 8th Dec 2014 10:48pm
BenjaminD

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

So basically, based on your comments these are the options I have:

1. Resell current setup (head unit, GPS, amp,...) and hopefully get a refund on my aftermarket purchase and buy Android system.
2. Keep the current head unit (with losing pixels) and upgrade to BM54 system in the back which would give me an Aux-In.

Is this correct?

So there's no way I could use the aftermarket unit I have with the current DSP? I saw multiple posts where you could install whatever you like if you have the stock head unit in the glovebox paired in parallel. Or am I making the wrong assumptions?

Thanks again for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.
Cheers,
Benjamin

Post #297823 8th Dec 2014 11:19pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Having looked at that unit, it is the same as the android, but it's not an android unit? So the install is the same, run a long cable to the boot and aerial back. I have seen it mentioned that the carrier frame on some models has to be adapted to make it fit. But basically the unit is the right shape.
If you go the simpler route then you'll have to cut the wires on the DSP and connect to them, with or without crossovers.
If you want to keep the DSP then you'll have to move the existing nav unit in to the glove box, doing away with the CD changer, and then this is where the fun begins. You can either connect it to the BM54 unit using SOT adapter leads, in the boot. Or you can go down the yet to be proven, can't afford a unit cos the car keeps breaking down Big Cry route, of connecting to the CD wires using an aux adapter and the phono outs from the new head unit. Which I think will work, but as the compressor ate its'self, has yet to be done.

From what i gather the 2002 car should have the 3+6 pin connectors on the CD changer so it should be plug and play with an aux adapter if you go that route Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #297835 9th Dec 2014 1:35am
BenjaminD

Thanks for all the replies. I also read Haylands 17page thread and it was very useful but also raised some additional questions.
Looks like there's one scenario that interests me.

- I don't want to get the DSP out or rewire some speakers.
- Can I do the trick of putting old unit in glovebox and tricking the system to think the new unit is the cd-charger (as Miggit suggested)? Or do I need to upgrade before doing that?

I'm so sorry if I'm a bit slow on this and ask a lot of questions, but this is all very new and confusing to me. I don't know always what version of stuff I have (e.g. sat nag version, BM53 or 54, etc...) and when looking to Haylands original 17page thread I get confused if this mod actually works.

Let me show what I deal with, maybe someone can shed a light on my ignorance:

These are the two units (new and old). Quite clearly some cutting in the frame will have to be done. I'm ok with that and pretty sure I can make it fit.

These are the two looms that I get out of the dash:

Back of the boot:

CD charger in glovebox:
Click image to enlarge

New unit: for BMWE39

I also have to add as a side-info, the reason why I'm trying to do this myself, even though I'm not at all experienced in car-electronics, is that a lot of Aussie mechanics and electronic guys don't like European cars, especially British. They'll charge an arm and a leg just to begin.

So I sincerely hope I can make this work on my own and hopefully with some assistance further.
Thanks again for the feedback, I really do appreciate you guys even making time to answer my original questions.

Post #297846 9th Dec 2014 5:00am
mjdronfield

You have a mk3 sat Nav and a bm54. To use the proper dedicated aux in the firmware on the bm54 needs to be upgraded. This applies whatever head unit is in.

But.... If it were me, and this is the bit we say is not tested in Petes thread, as nobody has done it ;

Move the screen to the glove box, or boot if you can find a space.....enabling the amps to stay powered on and other computer functions to be accessed etc.

Leave the orig units in the system but use the pre amp outs on the new head unit to feed the bm54 replacing the source wires from another unit, so feed it in as the cd source, select cd on the screen in the glove box, it thinks it's playing CDs but the sound comes from the new head unit... To the bm54 which passes it through the DSP and to the speakers like normal.

So you won't need a bm54 firmware upgrade as you won't be using the aux channel.

OR

Buy later bm54 from a bmw and make up your own loom... Will get aux in for music. No new head unit needed.

OR

Buy bm54 kit and loom off the internet. No new head unit needed.

OR

Either of the last 2 and a mk4 bmw nav unit to get better sat nav..... Or another mk3 which would be cheaper.

Thumbs Up

I'm with you.... Keep the amp and dsp in the system..., 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #297851 9th Dec 2014 7:30am
BenjaminD

Thanks for that!!!!

I did see in Pete's thread and on other forums that member Ironhorse managed to make it work, and according to him, plug and play. Since I already have an aftermarket unit, I would love to try his way. I'm limited in many ways though.

- I can get rid of the cd-player.
- I think I can move the default screen to the glove box (without swearing)
- Anything further than that is a bit confusing to me atm

I just had another look at all the cables provided and most of them make sense to me. There's two very similar looking looms (both have a "power" and "control" socket, amongst small other ones).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ironhorse mentioned that he tested a non-RR stereo at the back of the car to see if it would work (which it did in his case). When I'm looking at all the cables provided and the system that's already in there, I have no clue whatsoever of what I'm looking at.

I don't think I can see a PRE AMP OUT on the new unit and/or cd-source on the bm54 yet.

Also there are a couple of looms connected to RCA cables but can't see any RCA connection in the original setup. I do understand some of them are for video purposes, but still.

The cringing ironic thing is I'm a audio professional and have built and used several professional recording facilities, but a car radio is beyond me Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post #297853 9th Dec 2014 7:50am
mjdronfield

Thinking on......

In Petes thread I suggested connecting the pre amp outs from the new head unit to the tape feeds in the dash, which would be used to save running wires to the bm54 in the boot.

Then move the tape inputs on the bm54 to a different source input to save you having to have an actual tape in the player. As the system would need to see a tape in the system for it to be selectable on the screen as a source. If you see what I mean... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #297854 9th Dec 2014 7:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>