Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > How much snow (or flooded roads) is too much?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Brian

United Kingdom 
How much snow (or flooded roads) is too much?

Silly question I suppose but as a complete novice to 4x4's let alone driving one I was wondering (as the title suggests) just how much snow can a standard unmodified (with normal road wheels and tyres) withstand? are we talking a few inches or more? obviously I know it wont get through real heavy stuff (a few feet) but before i make a complete *** of myself attempting to drive over the mountain roads around here I though it would be a good idea to ask - same question for a flooded road, how deep can I go safely? Mr. Green

Post #298356 11th Dec 2014 2:53pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Dont know re water but I attempted a 4 foot drift a couple of years back and got stuck on summer tyres, may have been my driving but had to reverse out, fortunately it was a rural road so no one saw Rolling with laughter

Post #298359 11th Dec 2014 3:01pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

How long is a piece of string?... It really depends on how you drive. If you are a numpty then a light covering of snow or a few inches of water can get you into trouble. If you are sensible then most snow that we have here in the UK is not going to be a problem. It will ford almost three feet of water, so very little will stop you if you know what you are doing.

I think the thing to remember on snow with normal tyres is that the 4x4 will get you going but it makes no difference to turning or stopping. You have a 2.5 tonne car - it will have huge momentum. You can get going when others can't but that just means you can crash at a faster speed.

Winter tyres make a HUGE difference.

Post #298360 11th Dec 2014 3:05pm
vaz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Should be ok with 12 inches.
That's not the problem though. Fine on the flat and even going uphill. The downhill bit is the worst, once it starts sliding, it can be difficult to correct it and the usual response is to use the brakes. That can make it even worse.
Turning wheels usually don't slide but when they are locked up with the brakes they can and will do. I know our machines are equipped with ABS braking, that is not a given for getting out of trouble.
Have a practice somewhere first away from houses and parked cars, or even any obstacle you might hit.
After all a two and a half ton vehicle can take some stopping whilst sliding.

Steve. 1968 Series IIA Pastel Green, nearly there project

Post #298361 11th Dec 2014 3:08pm
Brian

United Kingdom 

I wont be doing numpty speeds Cool (I have done blue light training in ordinary cars) and have driven in all sorts of weather including heavy snow in all sorts of vehicles but as I mentioned never in a 4x4 Cool I have seen first hand what can happen when people rely on their cars "but it has 4 wheel drive!" has been often overheard when they are getting pulled out of a ditch on a frosty morning Laughing

Post #298362 11th Dec 2014 3:11pm
Brian

United Kingdom 

silly question, is the hill descent system any use in snow? my nephew and his mates have a off road course built near here and I am going there soon to have a play in it so hopefully will pick up some valuable information there as well

Post #298364 11th Dec 2014 3:12pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I have used HDC a lot in snow as we have a steep bit on way to main road, always made it although disconcerting to remain off pedals Thumbs Up

Post #298365 11th Dec 2014 3:16pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It probably goes without saying but don't ever use cruise control in snow or ice conditions. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #298366 11th Dec 2014 3:19pm
Brian

United Kingdom 

I've never used cruise control ever in any car (usually down to the fact that I drove poverty spec cars for years) - I'm also a bit old school in that I prefer to know its me in control (as much as possible) that and we don't have a lot of motorways around here Laughing

Post #298368 11th Dec 2014 3:22pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Weegie wrote:
It probably goes without saying but don't ever use cruise control in snow or ice conditions.

I put it on on a rwd car in snow to see what happens. As soon as the traction control kicks in it turned it off. This was just an experiment though - I wouldn't recommend it.

By the way, the sensible thing is not to go out in snow on summer tyres - they're hopeless in snow. I think I would only do so in extremis. Just because four wheel drive can get you going doesn't mean you should. You are at no advantage when stopping or turning. Driving on the wrong tyres in countries that regularly get snow will get you in trouble, and for a very good reason.

Post #298385 11th Dec 2014 4:59pm
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

M&S tyres help in snow/ice as do winter tyres, M&S that are winter tyres are best option.

HDC is designed for those conditions you describe above, for ice GGS on TR is preferred option, for fresh new snow, Sand on TR is preferred option.

ref cruise, TR3 will have its own off road cruise version! Cheers

James

Post #298415 11th Dec 2014 7:12pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

It also depends on the snow, freshly fallen snow that hasn't been driven on will give far more grip than compressed snow that basically turns to ice, always try to make your own tracks and don't follow in tracks.

Brian's is an early car so doesn't have TR, try out the HDC on any steep hill round you BEFORE it starts to snow, it will work in high or low box and up to 35mph. Engage it, stop at the top of the hill and take you feet off, get to know the feeling of it, you will hear it working if the hill is steep enough... You can control the speed it works at by feathering the brake to slow it down or accelerate very gently to speed it up (later TR cars can use the cruise control buttons to control the HDC speed)

The early FF has a wading depth of 20" which is about 2/3rds of the way up the wheel, they will wade much deeper if needed, the air intake is behind the indicator in the inner wing.

As others have said, the most important thing is tyres, winter tyres make a massive difference, if you have summer tyres then you have to take it very slowly, the worse thing is side slip, if the road is heavily cambered you will slide sideways off the road so try to keep on the crown of the road, other road users permitting...

If you get a lot of snow where you are and they don't clear the roads then the "snow socks" you can get are very good but they will only last seconds on tarmac....

Just take it easy and you should be OK, and remember always be careful on bridges and overpasses, if air can get under the road then it will freeze much quicker than a normal road... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #298419 11th Dec 2014 7:33pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

If you've been on some driving courses you will be fine.
Its the same as a 2 wheel drive in the fact you've got to read what the car is doing. With a range rover its a bit different as the car can drive itself in low range all you need to do is steer.

Try the car coming down a hill i low range and you will see what i mean.
Get some good tyres though.

Good luck its a ball. Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Last edited by JAYBOY on 11th Dec 2014 8:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #298434 11th Dec 2014 8:20pm
JST

note on current models with TR1 and TR2, HDC can be selected to brake you to 25mph, it is unavailable above 30mph.

its default is 10kph in high range, 6.5kph in low. Cheers

James

Post #298435 11th Dec 2014 8:20pm
JST

you could always try an LRE course! Cheers

James

Last edited by JST on 11th Dec 2014 8:27pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #298436 11th Dec 2014 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>