Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Off to view one on Sat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
v8rich

England 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey
Off to view one on Sat

Been after one for a while, off to see this one on Saturday, 52 plate, HSE Diesel.

Anything to ask or look out for?

I'll try again to get the pics on..

Post #299410 17th Dec 2014 8:20am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

there's a very useful guide in the wiki... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #299412 17th Dec 2014 8:26am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I came across this checklist a while ago which may be of help in addition to the above.

HPI check

Full Land Rover service history

Engine bay
• Check for coolant leaks, check reservoir in front right of engine bay, and with engine running, check all coolant hoses are not hard/brittle
• Check large cooling pipe off of top of radiator to engine isn’t rock hard or brittle
• Check all fluid levels over and over again!! (I checked the levels on mine before i went for a test drive then checked them on return from the test drive

Windows and mirrors
• All the electric windows should go all the way up and all the way down with no sticking or stopping (except the rears which stop about 10cm before the bottom of the window)
• If the car has power fold mirrors when you press the button on the drivers door to fold the mirrors they should fold all the way in and unfold all the way out. If the mirror jumps or clicks you may need a mirror replacement.
• Put the auto box in reverse and if equipped the passenger side mirror should dip to show you the kerb and should go back to normal when taken out of reverse (this only works when the passenger mirror is selected on the drivers side door switch)
• Instrument pack work, all pixel on display working? (£250 to fix)
• Is the battery charged or does it keep draining? Look to see if the First Stage Resistor in the HVAC system has been changed, as a faulty one can cause battery drain

Memory seats
• The electric memory seats need to be able to move on all axises and be able to remember your position.
• Check all heated seats they have two temperature modes make sure they both work. (if its a vogue like mine it has rear heated seats to these have the same two temp modes)
• Drivers side arm rest in good condition and not sagging?
Memory steering wheel
• it should go up and down and in and out with out sticking it should also remember your saved position when you put your key in and should slide away when you take the key out) these steering wheel have been known to have problems with the up down and in out motors
• The heated steering wheel can be a bit of an issue when i got mine i pressed the button to switch it on and the red light would not stay on, it had to be repaired.
• All the steering wheel controls whould work (take the car on a motorway to test the cruise control it should speed up and slow down by the + and - buttons on the wheel)
• Service Action for 2002-2006MY L322. Steering column tilt mechanism upgrade - A028V3
• Trip computer - average MPG - if its really low (10 or under IMO) then either there is something wrong or the last owner has ragged it everywhere.
• Check that the air con goes all the way up and all the way down it should be ice cold if it is working correctly.
• Check all functions of the sat nav/radio/tv/cd etc and correct location... (sat nav/tv only on vogue not HSE)

Air suspension
• The air compressor is in the spare wheel well you cant really see much but these are a common faulty issue, according to my cars service record it had to have a new one after only 4 years! So making sure the air suspension system is working correctly is a must!
• When you go over 60mph (i think thats the speed) the car should 'squat' in to high speed mode, basically this means the car lowers the air suspension to make handling better at high speeds. But remember what goes down must go back up again. When you slow down after a few minutes the car should rise to the standard ride height again.
• Check air suspension car should rise and lower to all levels and be able to hold that height without falling (i went back the next day to check the car had held its height without falling overnight) failing can some times mean a leak in the air system.
• you can see the bottom of the front air bags if you raise the car to off road setting and the rear ones can only be seen from underneath the vehicle. You need to look out for cracking or wear of the rubber when the car is in it's off roading mode as the constant folding of the rubber when lowering and raising car wears out and cracks the rubber this is a common leak area on the air bags.
• Check for un-even brake disc wear and sticking calipers

Bodywork
• Check the tailgate, the buttons are electric and should open first time everytime.
• Check for leaks and signs of rust around the bottom of the tailgate area.
• Towbar fitted? Much use?
• Check spare wheel compartment for water
• Check for water damage in passenger cabin especially around the door seals, also check for water damage in the boot and ESPECIALLY in the computer compartment (left hand side) this is known place to leak, just where you don’t want it to leak where the computers and audio stuff is.
• Check wipers and headlight washers etc... (rear washer can take a few seconds to pump the wiper fluid to the rear window)
• Check for condensation in rear lamps, does it clear after 10 minutes with lights on?

Driving
• Do the front CV joints rattle at low speed?
• Has the front diff been replaced? Factory recall so should have been done OQ41
• Steering vibration - if you can take it for a test drive and then hold it at about 60mph (approx 2000 RPM if cruising), if there is vibration then it often seems to be at about this speed. Might just need wheels balancing but could be something worse.

Hill decent (put the car in N select low range and switch on hill descent, car should now creep down the hill on its own without you having to touch the brake or accelerator)

Post #299420 17th Dec 2014 9:37am
andy180

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Two main things to check on early FFRR's:-

1) is it a Vogue spec?

2) is it a 4.4 petrol

If the answer to the above is no then walk away Thumbs Up Now: BMW 640d M Sport, Alpine White
Gone: Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue, Zambezi Silver, Charcoal Oxford Leather
Also: Mk1 Audi TT 1.8T Quattro, Brilliant Black
[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #299432 17th Dec 2014 11:34am
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Shocked

Post #299437 17th Dec 2014 12:09pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Shocked really ?

If you look at the engine issues that the petrol seems to have with coolant and head gaskets and pcv hoses as they age and mileage increase, I know I made the right choice..... Above 30 mpg on a run and when remapped is a very nice motor.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #299525 17th Dec 2014 7:42pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

My TD6 just kept going but my mates 4.4P was a nightmare with head gasket issues. I have to say HSE is not my cup of tea and you will probably be stuck with it until its scrapped. Didn't think anyone brought HSE's when there are so many Vogues knocking around for the right money.

Do you know the car?

Is it a VERY attractive price befitting a low line model? 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #299536 17th Dec 2014 8:07pm
v8rich

Wiki read, and re read. Some of it may even have gone in.

The car belongs to a friend of a friend, whose had it about 2 years, maybe 3. He's a LR enthusiast, and works there.. I had a drive when he first got it, loved it and asked him to keep me in mind when he wanted shot of it.

The spec seems ok, so long as I can hook up an ipod to the radio somehow I'll be fine. It has leather, aircon, cruise. The price is pretty good too. Meeting him on Saturday for a look over and chat.

I'd have loved to get a V8.. My first D2 was a V8, which then went to make way for a td5, had a nice year with it but it's time for a change!

Post #299537 17th Dec 2014 8:22pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

4.4 BMW Petrols are great I have one Thumbs Up

Post #299538 17th Dec 2014 8:25pm
v8rich

Went to see it today. It's not too bad for the money. A few jobs to do on it to be getting on with, but plenty of spare bits included to do most of the little jobs. Happy with it, Disco is sold and being picked up on Monday.

Will try and get some decent pics tomorrow, after giving it a wash.

Post #300158 20th Dec 2014 10:47pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Andy180, i have an old TD6 that I have had for 8 years and its a joy to own
dont knock the oillburners, they are not all bad Thumbs Up

Post #300166 20th Dec 2014 11:47pm
andyleeds

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

andy180 i have an oil burner too, have had it for 4 years, never missed a beat and is in great nick (farnells the main dealer who service it can't believe its an 05 plate)

Post #300237 21st Dec 2014 2:44pm
andy180

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

The TD6 isn't particularly economical, nor does it have enough power to suit the bulk of the car IMO Whistle

Just my 10p.... I've driven both and the 4.4's a nicer, smoother and all round slightly more refined drive and it has that bit more power which comes in handy. As I understand it from viewing a couple of TD6's the MPG on the trips was sitting around 22 - 23 mpg.... I get 18 mpg and petrol's cheaper and doesn't make your hands stink when filling the car Laughing The gear box issue also seems to be all too common on the TD6

If I was buying an early FFRR it would be the 4.4 or even better a Supercharged every time..... And I wasn't prepared to look at a petrol FFRR initially Thumbs Up

Anyway all the best with collecting your FFRR, whichever model you've chosen it's still the only luxury SUV to buy Cool Now: BMW 640d M Sport, Alpine White
Gone: Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue, Zambezi Silver, Charcoal Oxford Leather
Also: Mk1 Audi TT 1.8T Quattro, Brilliant Black
[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #300377 22nd Dec 2014 12:34pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Nothing at all wrong with a TD6, we don't all do wheelies from traffic lights. Very Happy
Some (most?) have issues with torque convertors and gearboxes but so do the petrol versions along with head gasket problems.
Mine fairly consistently has 30mpg showing on the computer. Thumbs Up

Post #300378 22nd Dec 2014 12:54pm
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Mine wheelies from lights no idea what it's had (remap and box😜)but can drag an a5 and do 7-8 secs 0-60 with brake and Rev up and is quiet no knocks vibes nothing, never been in any td6 like it _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #300379 22nd Dec 2014 1:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>