Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Potential New Owner - S/C or TDV8?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Potential New Owner - S/C or TDV8?

Hello All

Potentially thinking of buying a FFRR (what a great phrase!!!)

Have test driven a TDV8 but currently drive an AMG Merc (big change I know). Am wondering if the Supercharged is worth the extra - are there any drawbacks compared to the TDV8 (obviously except MPG). I'm used to poor MPG so that isn't really a big concern - what do you S/C owners actually get - I'm sure 19mpg combined is more than optimistic!!! How does the S/C perform offroad compared to the TDV8? If buying a TDV8 I'll get the new version but not sure if a 2010 S/C would be just as good as a 2011 S/C - most of the 2011 tweaks tend to be TDV8 orientated.

Your thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks very much

John

Post #26771 30th Aug 2010 11:59am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Was the TDV8 you drove the new 4.4?

Post #26772 30th Aug 2010 12:13pm
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

nbunney wrote:
Was the TDV8 you drove the new 4.4?

Nope it was a 3.6 which whilst very smooth was quite slow compared to my current car.

Post #26774 30th Aug 2010 12:18pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

If the fuel economy isn't an issue I'd go for the S/C. But it's only something like 2 seconds quicker to 60mph than the new 4.4 TDV8. So you're going to be looking at a slower vehicle than you've got anyway. The FFRR is certainly not a racing car, even though modern ones are quite rapid. (in a straight line)

If costs are an issue then TDV8 everytime. More ecomomical. Higher percentage of resale value retained. Just seems to make more sense overall and hence they are more popular second hand.

Whichever you go for you'll never be able to keep up with boy racers round twisty country lanes anymore... unless they can't drive or have basic cars with big exhausts.

My dream car is a 4.4 TDV8... but that's based on my running cost issues. Wink

Post #26776 30th Aug 2010 12:27pm
Mounty

Switzerland 

Oh if mpg and resale value is no concern I have the 5.0l Mr. Green and I build a extra tank in. Daniel

Past:FFRR 2004 Vogue 4.4l bonnatigrey/sand/ burr walnut
Modifications: SC grill (not fixed) SC MY10 sidevents (not fixed), MY10 Letters front and back, clear sidelights , MY10 rear lights (not fixed), MY09 steering wheel trims, new MY09 sterringwheel 19'' seven spoke wheel (not fixed) 19'' MTS (not fixed), 20 '' wheels, doorhandelcovers brunel (not fixed), complete doorhandels (not fixed) burr walnutdoorsouround (not fixed)

Post #26783 30th Aug 2010 1:28pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If fuel cost, annual milage and big depreciation are not an issue then a late plate used 5.0litre S/C is the way to go and let somebody else take the bit depreciation hit, otherwise the TDv8 is a lovely creamy smooth engine that does a pretty good job of thrusting a nearly 3tonne brick through the air. You can use the Land Rover UK website to search for late plate cars at dealers. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #26787 30th Aug 2010 4:15pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

SC Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #26789 30th Aug 2010 4:20pm
JOKER

Scotland 

+1 Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #26795 30th Aug 2010 4:35pm
sleepezy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

John - I recently changed from a big fast merc (CL in my case) to a FFRR - TDV8. Admittedly I didn't try out a SC but with the mileage I do (about 25k per year) that would have been a nonsense anyway!

I genuinely find the TDV8 fast enough - I was discussing the same point with a friend earlier today. In my view the SC just isn't worth it as, although it is quicker 0-60 and more importantly 40-..., it has the same problem as the TDV8 when slowing and getting around corners - exacerbated as you'll be approaching them quicker!

The RR simply isn'nt a car that likes being hustled and for that reason the 'performance' version just doesn't float my boat. However, as a smooth cruiser, it beats the Mercs, even a CL, hands down and should be enjoyed as such.

Post #26810 30th Aug 2010 8:38pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
it has the same problem as the TDV8 when slowing and getting around corners

DISAGREE - The TDV8 suspension may not be up to it, but the SC suspension and brakes ARE. I noticed the TDV8 (3.6) was very wallowy in comparison to my 4.2SC when last I was in one....

The 5.0SC is amazing......try BOTH if fuel is not an issue - I do about 30,000 miles a year and I love petrol Wink Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #26812 30th Aug 2010 8:52pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thrasher, does the 2010MY have the trick hydraulic anti-roll bars that the RRSport S/C has? I had the system in my TDV8 Sport and it was just amazing how fast that car could go round corners and remain totally roll free and flat. The FFRR Tdv8 doesn't have it and I have had to slow right down for corners that I could take at much higher speeds in the RRS. The other thing that the FFRR TDv8 doesn't have that the RRS version did have was the Brembos............................ FFRR braking is nowhere near as progressive or as confidence inspiring as the RRS on huge Brembos, the FFRR also takes a lot longer to shed speed than the RRS ever did, yet FFRR is a lighter car!
I think the thing about the FFRR is to sit back and enjoy it's cossetting and relaxing drive 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #26816 30th Aug 2010 9:11pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Thrasher wrote:
Quote:
it has the same problem as the TDV8 when slowing and getting around corners

DISAGREE - The TDV8 suspension may not be up to it, but the SC suspension and brakes ARE. I noticed the TDV8 (3.6) was very wallowy in comparison to my 4.2SC when last I was in one....

The 5.0SC is amazing......try BOTH if fuel is not an issue - I do about 30,000 miles a year and I love petrol Wink

At the time, the tdv8 and the 4.2 SC shared the same suspesion, brakes, and general setup...
Maybe you tired a bad example

Post #26836 31st Aug 2010 9:37am
sleepezy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

TDV8 (at least the MY07 Vogue SE that I am basing my comparison on) got the suspension from the then current SC model and does have Brembo's (although not sure if they're the same size as the SC).

Agree though - the OP must drive both to make their own decision! The 5.0sc version is supposed to provide a big step up in performance (straight line at least Wink ).

Post #26837 31st Aug 2010 9:42am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Tim in Scotland wrote:
does the 2010MY have the trick hydraulic anti-roll bars that the RRSport S/C has?

Unfortunately not. Would be a popular option as a proper RR without the body-roll would be pretty much ideal.

Perhaps something for the likes of JE to offer?

Post #26842 31st Aug 2010 11:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1