Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > air bag removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
air bag removal

hi, has any one got a way of removing the air bag, do you have to use the land rover tools, 2 pick like tools that go through the base of the steering wheel and releases the clips holding the air bag
daveo V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #26930 31st Aug 2010 8:46pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I thought you can just use two thin bits of stiff wire, like coat hanger etc? Poke em in and the whole thing should pop off. I think I remember seeing the instructions on an eBay ad somewhere, it was for the spoke covers, maybe...

Dan 

Post #26939 31st Aug 2010 10:48pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi dan, i did see a set on ebay and they looked like they had small hooks on the ends so i thought one would have to pull a clip or someting... V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #26940 1st Sep 2010 6:55am
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

If you look at powerful uk they have instructions for removing the steering wheel.

Yes indeed there is a special tool for doing it, but a thin screwdriver that is about 4 inches long will do the trick too.

There are 2 holes on the rear portion of the steering wheel centre, at about 2:30 and 10:30, Feel the screw driver in carefully for about 2 - 2.5 inches. I find it easier to make sure that the screwdriver blade has the flat side pointing upwards (towards the sky). Then in is a firm push a little further the release the spring. It can be quite stiff and if you find that the screwdriver continues to move you have probably missed the spot. So a little trial and error required.

Before trying this though ensure that you have disconnected the battery and waited for 30 mins, then touch the 2 terminals together to drain any residual current in the wiring. This prevents the airbag going off or the other expensive (but not so dangerous) problem of the airbag light.

To refit the airbag just line up the 2 spring loaded clips and press firmly until a click is hear. Then re connect the battery and reset the clock/date...

Hope this helps

Steve 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #26970 1st Sep 2010 1:43pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Def no hooks involved - it's push only. Can be a bit of a PITA finding the spring clips, tho. I actually took pics to help me remember where to poke.

Steve's tips are very good (although 10 mins is enough of a wait Smile ). I used a T-handled torx or hex wrench that was big enough to just barely fit in the hole in order to try to get as much contact surface as poss. And when inserting, you have to try to keep in the guides:
- with the steering wheel straight, the poke tool is inserted perfectly horizontal and parallel to the hub face of the steering wheel (the slot between the bag and the wheel)
- as the spring clip rests on the hub face, I actually pulled the back of the tool towards myself lightly in order to lever the front of the tool towards the hub

Did all this make sense? As Steve said, if you keep sliding in with additional friction, you've missed. Pull out and try again.

Here are the pics. HTH.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #27056 2nd Sep 2010 8:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1