Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > DIESEL - BE WARNED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
EmiratesA380

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aintree Green
DIESEL - BE WARNED

My brother went to a main Dealership yesterday and found out from a workshop technician that they had a couple of engines they were rebuilding - why he asked.
The answer was that the owners had used supermarket fuel ( and I mean it was one of the big names mentioned ) - apparently the fuel is cheaper than say ( Texaco or Shell which is good stuff he said ) - the supermarket fuel is cheaper and has less additives in or none at all !!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else encountered this or head of it before.
It makes sense to me and I don't think I am going to risk the super market fuel going in my RR.

Would be nice to hear your thoughts on this one.
Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #305639 16th Jan 2015 9:24pm
Contraband

Scotland 

This is a bit of an old chestnut... Plenty of threads/arguments/points of view if you do a search... Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #305642 16th Jan 2015 9:28pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

as said above - plenty about this has been discussed before.

My opinion (and it's only opinion) I know some folks that only ever fill up at supermarkets because of the price. We have very strict rules about fuel quality in the UK and if there any doubt that the fuel would cause damage, I don't believe they would be able to see it to the public. It's been on sale for years so presumably many hundreds of people would have suffered problems by now. Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #305649 16th Jan 2015 9:50pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Wouldn't catch me filling mine up in a supermarket!

Its cheap for a reason!!!

Post #305652 16th Jan 2015 9:56pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Our local shell now price matches the supermarket, so it's a no brainer.... Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #305653 16th Jan 2015 9:58pm
birchyman71

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Used supermarket fuel almost exclusively for years with no problems what so ever, all fuel has to meet a standard specification, aswell have been told by mates who work at storage facilities and load the tankers that various supermarkets wagons and oil companies all fill from the same main tanks, the only difference is the super plus type stuff.

Post #305659 16th Jan 2015 10:12pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i dont think i would have much confidence in the workshop tech if he says things like that Rolling Eyes ... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #305661 16th Jan 2015 10:15pm
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Its all the same stuff. When Shell owned the Stanlow oil refinery in Cheshire, I'd see Shell, Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsburys tankers leaving full of the same fuel. I cant see how supermarket fuel is poor quality unless it comes from non UK sources.

Stanlow provides a sixth of the UK's fuel needs. I'd worry about smaller independent fuel stations who may doctor what they sell. It does still occur. Travelling around in circles again.

Post #305670 16th Jan 2015 10:34pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Its cheap for a reason!!!

Hmm, there are many things that go into the forcourt price of a litre, of which fuel quality is one - how big a factor I don't know. Supermarkets can leverage their purchasing power, they sell in huge volume so retail costs are probably lower, they may subsidise to get people into their shops. Or they may be selling duff fuel.

There seem to be few facts. Found this for an explanation that seems reasonable.

Quote:

Standard Unleaded and Diesel Fuels

The big debate is over whether the petrol and diesel sold by supermarkets is the same quality as that sold by branded fuel companies like Shell, BP, Esso and Total.

Let’s start with some known facts:

All fuels sold in the UK conform to the relevant British Standards. This means that they should all work in roughly the same way and you can mix them freely in your car’s fuel tank.

The standard petrol and diesel that’s sold on garage forecourts is mixture of two things:

‘Base’ fuel

An additive package

The base fuel is the same for all companies – in fact, it usually comes from the same tanks at the local fuel refinery/distribution centre. What varies is the additives package that goes into the fuel. These additives packages are secret recipes of extra ingredients that help keep the engine clean and improve lubrication inside the engine cylinders.

Each fuel company has its own additives packages and these are different. So it is possible (but not common) for some drivers to feel that their car responds better to the additives used by one fuel manufacturer over those of another.

What About Supermarket Fuels?

There are all sorts of stories that go round about supermarket fuels, but the fact is that supermarket fuel tanker lorries are often seen filling up from the same tanks as branded fuel lorries (e.g. Shell, BP) – so the chances are that most of the time, the fuel they sell is the same, although again, it may have different additives packages.

However, one common story about supermarket fuel is that some supermarkets don’t have a regular fuel supplier. Instead, they buy odd lots of fuel from wherever it’s cheapest. This could (if it happened) lead to supermarket fuel having a more variable set of additives than branded fuels.

Not many people really know the truth about this business, and they are not the kind of people who will reveal all on the internet, so we will have to keep guessing as to whether there is any meaningful difference between supermarket fuels and branded fuels.

Full article here.

Re additives, I know my car needs a fuel system cleaner every now and then. It noticeably improves the running of the car. I am reluctant to put it in every tank though because it contains a solvent that reduces the lubrication properties of diesel and a cetane booster that increases the burn temperature. I value my pump, injectors and turbine!

But again, that's an opinion - and I would like some hard facts!

Post #305678 16th Jan 2015 10:49pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

J90 wrote:
Its all the same stuff. When Shell owned the Stanlow oil refinery in Cheshire, I'd see Shell, Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsburys tankers leaving full of the same fuel. I cant see how supermarket fuel is poor quality unless it comes from non UK sources.

Stanlow provides a sixth of the UK's fuel needs. I'd worry about smaller independent fuel stations who may doctor what they sell. It does still occur.

+1 Thumbs Up

The reason it is cheap is because the supermarkets use it as one of their lost leaders - its not difficult to work out - its just marketing Confused

I use the supermarkets and a Shell station - I am not bothered which I end up at

Post #305696 16th Jan 2015 11:30pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

I've an uncle who was a fuel scientist for Shell (now retired).
He spent his professional life working on fuel additives for Shell, so he knew exactly what was in the stuff, whether it were Shell's or any of the other producers.
Guess what ? - there is a difference . . . .
Yes, there are minimum standards but some are way above that -

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #305700 16th Jan 2015 11:49pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Here we go again, Tesco are the largest supplier of fuel in the UK and my nearest garage so I have used them for years in various cars with no problem.
Others have had problems or, more often, know a man who has or read something on the Internet with reports of ruined engines and/or almost magical increases in mpg.
I think if you want piece of mind or are convinced about the reported benefits by all means buy Shell/Esso or whatever floats your boat, my experience with Tesco has been a good one so I won't be driving miles to get Shell neither will I be paying for anyone's higher priced stuff as the way I drive I probably don't need it. Geoff

Post #305727 17th Jan 2015 8:31am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

@ Emirates That mechanic is talking boolocks - we have run many vehicles over many years and have used cheap supermarket fuel for literally hundreds of thousands of miles in many vehicles - without 1 jot of trouble 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #305745 17th Jan 2015 10:17am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

^+1 Couldn't have put it better myself.
Why anyone would believe a Main Dealer workshop technician would be of sufficient intellect to usefully comment on the possible failure of an engine due to the type of fuel used is beyond me.
Diesel engined cars, including RR's, are used all over the world on various dubious grades of diesel fuel most of which are are far below the quality of even the lowest grade of fuel available in the uk. They are used because they can and are reliable.
People seem to forget Diesel engines were designed initially to run on waste vegetable oil and funnily enough still can.

Last edited by nicedayforit on 15th Apr 2015 8:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #305755 17th Jan 2015 10:35am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

If the price is the same why not get the SHELL its a fact that shell has more/better engine cleaning additives than Supermarket fuel. Idea

Post #305759 17th Jan 2015 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>