Home > Technical (L322) > Engine dies after 10 secs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Greg66

2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black
Engine dies after 10 secs

L322 SC.

I took myself down to the supermarket, did my shopping, and jumped in the car to go home.

The engine fired up, I drove off, and within 10 seconds the engine revs dropped slowly to nil and the car ground to a halt.

Hmm.

I couldn’t then start the engine. The starter motor would turn but the engine wouldn’t fire. Very unlike a flat battery.

I managed to get it started again, held the revs at 2000 in neutral, and after ten seconds or so the engine died again (without lifting off)

This happened a few more times while I manoeuvered it into an unobstructive place. Now waiting for the RAC, and I have a feeling it will need to be towed to a garage for a fix. Which will mean (on previous experience) ten days or so before it gets looked at.

So, any ideas what this might be?

Other clues: the check engine light stays on when the engine does fire (yellow, not red). The DSC system is compromised (ditto hill descent system) message comes up when the engine turns over (usually indicative of a weak battery, but if the battery is weak, and it could be, I think there is something else at play too). As the engine revs drop to 500, then nil, there is a very slight clunking coming from the direction of the rear axle - I think. Range Rover 4.2 SC
AM V12VS
Mini JCW conv

Post #533650 9th Nov 2019 6:23pm
tb10

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Try unplugging the Air Flow Meter and restart the engine. Thumbs Up

Regards

John

Post #533660 9th Nov 2019 8:32pm
Greg66

Low fuel pressure. Likely to be a busted fuel pump. Will get something more definite later this we&. Range Rover 4.2 SC
AM V12VS
Mini JCW conv

Post #533773 11th Nov 2019 12:10am
umitbat

A Trap 2010 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Atacama Sand

Seems like pump in the tank. 2010 3.6tdv8 180k km.
sold 06 td6 160k
Sold 03 td6 260k

Post #533888 12th Nov 2019 10:36am
Greg66

Off to collect it this evening. The diagnosis?

It had run out of fuel. And the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster had stuck just above half full.

Quite a stressful episode, in that it broke down on a Saturday; no where would take it on a Sunday so it was recovered to home first. Repeated attempts to get it going put the battery on its knees, so external power packs and some steering without PAS were involved.

Then it was moved to the garage last week - cue battery dying again, much huffing and puffing manoeuvring it under human power and no PAS/no servo brakes again.

I have read about the sort of opposite: a FFRR/Disco that thinks it has no fuel when it has half a tank, and shutting down. But can't find much said about one thinking it has half a tank when it has none.

Must admit that I'm going to collect it this evening half expecting this to be half a diagnosis, and for it to pack in again before long. Which will be doubly annoying because apparently there is a large chunk of the not inconsiderable bill I will be pay later which is down to diagnostics and investigation. Range Rover 4.2 SC
AM V12VS
Mini JCW conv

Post #534700 18th Nov 2019 4:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1