Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Steam Clean Yes or No?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scwilson

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Epsom Green
Steam Clean Yes or No?

Just wondering what the thoughts are re a steam clean of the engine on the FF?

I am contemplating having it done since I have a fair bit of old residual oil on the sides from a while back.

Are there any disadvantages? Is it worth it? I am looking at £30 + VAT.

Post #312169 11th Feb 2015 4:11pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Some cantons in Switzerland insist on this - fortunately not mine. People worry about electrics but it's generally ok. I wouldn't do mine unless there's some serious mess.

Post #312188 11th Feb 2015 5:56pm
Joe90

England 

As Kurt says, keep it away from electrics. Problem is the kit that is used is super powerful. I have a steam cleaner at home, tried it out on a mildy dirty/oily engine, just didn't touch it ?

That said some have gone at their engine bay with a pressure washer (do not recommend this!) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #312211 11th Feb 2015 8:00pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

You can buy degreasers and engine cleaner that should shift old residue in visible areas with some cleverly constructed nooks and crannies getter atters and a wee bit of grime time without risking damage from a steam cleaner

Post #312215 11th Feb 2015 8:11pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Remember to keep the engine running whilst steam cleaning.... Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #312221 11th Feb 2015 8:36pm
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

Don't go there........ High pressure washers put water where water normally can't get to.
My son did this on his Disco (which you would have thought could cope with a bit of water) and he was in a right mess afterwards.

Post #312592 14th Feb 2015 2:14pm
Riverstick

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Low pressure(100 psi) high temperature steam(150°) is superb for cleaning engine bays. I've been doing it for over 30 years and never once had a problem. The best method is to steam off heavy oily residue. ....This will take a while as you must continually stop to see what you are cleaning amongst the clouds of steam.

Then use a paintbrush to apply degreaser to the nooks and crannies. ...kerosene or diesel is just as effective. Leave for 30 mins or so and steam off again with low pressure high temperature steam.

Spray on general detergent...Traffic film remover. ..Cleaning foam etc....Leave settle and steam off again. ....Stand back and put on sun glasses to prevent the glorious dazzle emanating from your engine bay Mr. Green

I normally leave diesel engines switched off for this procedure. ...but I tend to leave petrol powered units run.

Avoid high pressure washing in the engine bay as this normally forces water where it is not desired 2008 Range Rover TDV8 435,000kms
2015 Range Rover L405 SDV8 Autobiography

2008 Ford Focus1.6 tdci Titanium DPF deleted

Post #312738 15th Feb 2015 10:14am
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

wealy wrote:
Don't go there........ High pressure washers put water where water normally can't get to.
My son did this on his Disco (which you would have thought could cope with a bit of water) and he was in a right mess afterwards.

So right !! In the good old days where the only electrics where the dizzy cap ( and you could wipe that out ) a good steaming would help you spot any oil leaks and generally make your engine like new. Now, a steam clean is like putting your laptop in the dish washer !

Post #312759 15th Feb 2015 11:42am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I've done my l322 v8 a couple of times with a karcher hot washer, the type with a diesel burner, I did warm up the car, switch off, leave for 10 mins, and steam it, then sprayed on some traffic film remover, agaitated a few greasy areas with a few stiff brushes and an old toothbrush etc, gave it a good steam, even from underneath too, as I had it on some. Jacks , and I was on a step ladder, (helps) , then almost immediately after I finished, I started her up and after a few revs, I closed bonnet to bake it dry, leaving it running for about 15 mins. I washed car while I was baking it, as there was all sorts of crud balls over it. I had some old auto gym engine dresser that you spray on, it's a sort of lacquer in thinners solution, that dries off to a nice shine, like it's been clear coated, this is not to everyone's taste. But it does dull down a bit, and stops some rusting etc. looks real nice.

Post #312768 15th Feb 2015 12:20pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

remember that the FF will wade through a considerable amount of water so its pretty well insulated ...as long as you dont directly pressurem wash the electrics you will be ok.
i done my engine bay with a basic washer after a trip on salisbury plain and it came up fairly clean.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #312773 15th Feb 2015 12:33pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Don't do it! You run he risk of getting fine water spray into your ABS unit amongst others. I believe crud can actually help protect your bits!

Post #312813 15th Feb 2015 4:41pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I was always told not to steam clean engine bays as it was likely to remove all the protective wax put there at build stage.
Degreaser applied with a hand spray bottle, agitated with an old paint brush and gently cleaned off with a garden hose works for me.
I used to pressure wash the engine bay of my Discovery without any problems but I wouldn't risk it on an FFRR.
It's not such a bad idea to leave any oil / grease on the underside in place, certainly means no corrosion.

Post #312826 15th Feb 2015 5:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1