Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > The Best Fuel System Cleaner is BG44K ?
Would you use BG44K Fuel System Cleaner?
Yes. Confident there is a benefit.
85%
 85%  [12]
No. Waste of time and money.
14%
 14%  [2]
Total Votes: 14

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
The Best Fuel System Cleaner is BG44K ?

Bought this having been recommended it on the forum after experiencing two 'system too rich' warnings in a week. Order seemed to have been restored by means of cleaning the MAF sensor and clearing the fault code with the IID tool.

The car is always fuelled with Shell VPower Nitro+ so hopefully the fuel system is in decent order anyway.

I rang Power Enhancer and was told that just one can of this every 10,000 miles/ 12 months is all that is needed to benefit from it. Apparently the trick is to put in one full can in with 60 to 75 litres of good fuel that you estimate will take you a few days to use, the benefit being that this cleaner then has time to work it's magic if in your system for a few days as opposed to being used up within a few hours/ 200 miles of a motorway run.

Can be bought online or over the counter for ฃ20 at Kwik Fit and the like. There is a diesel version too:
http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php...on-remover

" Designed for all types of 4 stroke petrol engine, BG44K cleans the fuel system including the fuel injectors. It also helps to remove carbon deposits from combustion areas this restoring performance.

One can (325mL) of BG 44K will treat up to 75 litres of petrol. "

Will report back on my findings in a few days!

Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 20th Feb 2015 4:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #313221 17th Feb 2015 12:28pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've used the diesel one. Well recommended. Thumbs Up

Post #313245 17th Feb 2015 2:57pm
pld118

Cheers, I'd never contemplated fuel additives before and then this stuff was thrown in the mix if you'll pardon the pun.

The chap at Kwik Fit said they get people using it in the run up to MOT time to get their emissions down so the car passes. Also said, they get lots of taxi drivers using it.

All I've read and heard says used in conjunction with a properly maintained car, this stuff is the business for cleaning the fuel system etc.

Thumbs Up

Post #313249 17th Feb 2015 3:13pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I think they all work in a similar way. They have a detergent/solvent that cleans the fuel system, and an additive that raises the burn temperature to de-coke the engine/exhaust system. Of the two cleaners I've used I couldn't say one was better than the other.

By the way, a solvent is likely to reduce the lubrication qualities of the fuel, which in a modern direct injection petrol or diesel engine is not a good idea. This is why I don't do it that often, only when I can tell the engine needs it, or every 5000 miles or so.

Post #313266 17th Feb 2015 4:24pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i dont want to bring up the 'supermarket v branded' fuel dabate, but with using a premium brand fuel Ryan, surely you wouldnt need any more additives...i use asda fuel and i have no problems .. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ฦŽ๊“•โˆ€๊“•O๊“ค PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #313274 17th Feb 2015 4:58pm
pld118

I did wonder Stan as a so called benefit of V Power and the like is meant to include helping to clean the fuel system and injectors?

Worth noting too that the 'system too rich' warning only came on with just under 1/4 tank of fuel left?

My litmus test will be if the 'system too rich' warning is banished after the MAF clean and after using the BG44K.

I'm told there can be a clearly different feel to driving the car and how heathy it idles/ sounds in general after using this stuff. It doesn't sound or drive laboured anyway.

Time will tell but the majority who claim to have used this BG seem to acknowledge a benefit of some kind and as Kurtv says, if used as a periodic cleansing process, then for ฃ20 and given it is approved by many major car manufacturers, it seems worth knowing about.

Post #313297 17th Feb 2015 6:37pm
pld118

Day 3 in the BG Hoose!

Started off with Shell V Power Nitro+ in a partially full tank showing a range of 250 miles which seemed to be within the 'empty the entire contents of your 325ml BG can into between 60 and 75 litres of fuel' recommendation.

70 to 100 miles later and I do think the car seems crisper on startup, smoother and more consistent on tickover (a bit quieter on tickover too) and the same whilst on the road driving. The throttle response also seems more sharp and eager.

So, since cleaning the MAF sensor 6 days ago and putting in BG 48 hours ago, the 'system too rich' running warnings have not recurred and both procedures do so far appear to be giving some benefit.

The BG cleaning process is not yet finished and I'll update further over the next few days.

Thumbs Up

Post #313949 20th Feb 2015 4:04pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

sounds like a positive result at the moment then Ryan.

Might invest in a tin of it to put in mine as there is a very small lumpy feeling on tickover, which has improved slightly since the run down to the alps. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #313966 20th Feb 2015 8:17pm
pld118

The guy at Kwik Fit said people they serve put the BG44K into both petrol and Diesel engines Mark, although I think there is one specifically for Diesel engines, ie this lot:
http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/section.php/99/1/diesel-engines

Also, today, I finally blundered across the subtle link that Kurt gave earlier in this thread and it shows that himself and other learned forum members very much rate the BG product.

Perhaps more importantly than all that has gone before, my wife drove 'her car' tonight and came home pointing out that 'the car is running very well. It feels really smooth'. Case closed! Laughing

Thumbs Up

Post #313985 20th Feb 2015 10:00pm
Arkle

United Kingdom 

I put some BG44 in a Sprinter 313CDI I once owned. It wasn't running at all badly and I added the BG44 as more of a good practice thing. It really did make a difference to the smoothness of the engine and gave it a little more poke.

For the record about Supermarket fuel. I have a Mercedes E430 V8 and if I run it on supermarket fuel it misfires so badly I find myself reaching for a radio to shout "Mayday! Mayday!". If I run it on the higher octane supermarket fuel, it purrs, whizzes along and plays that lovely MB V8 soundtrack. Thumbs Up

Edit: I might add that the supermarket fuel I'm referring to above is from Tesco. Getting up to 20p off a litre just for shopping there makes running my FF a little less painful. I have only ever used their higher octane stuff (Momentum?) for my FF and now the 430 runs on it too. Smile

Post #314014 21st Feb 2015 12:11am
pld118

6 votes in the poll and one of those feel there is no benefit.

It would be interesting for a post to help us understand why voters feel there is no benefit Thumbs Up

ps.. I'm going to treat other vehicles with this once per year too.

Post #314098 21st Feb 2015 12:11pm
Andy B

England 

Some positive reviews on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Power-Enhancer-...merReviews

Thumbs Up SDV8 AB MY 2019
SDV8 VSE MY 2015 - Gone
5.0 S/C AB MY 2010 - Gone
4.2 S/C VSE MY 2006 - Gone

Post #314138 21st Feb 2015 5:04pm
pld118

An hour ago, I got the Engine Management Light activation again = "System too lean" this time!

Exactly after the fuel tank dropped below the 1/4 of a tank marker and that's when the previous "system too rich" EML had activated.

Does my car have an aversion to dropping below 1/4 of a tank?

Otherwise, what's going on?

Thumbs Up

Post #314175 21st Feb 2015 8:43pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The Amazon reviews are funny - just tell me how a fuel additive is supposed to help clean the gunk in your turbo? Or am I missing the point? Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #314179 21st Feb 2015 8:49pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

@pld118

There was an update for this issue - required a software update via the dealer at the time. Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #314180 21st Feb 2015 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>