Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Does LR make "SOME" of the worlds most dangerous v
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
drivesafe

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Does LR make "SOME" of the worlds most dangerous v

Over the last 15 months, I have been doing research on faults relating to my death trap of an RR.

Initially my research based on my own vehicles faults and failures, but the more I look into how all Land Rovers are made, the more I find in the way of serious faults and potentially life threatening failures that seem to be commonplace with the way Land Rovers are made.

At present, there is the Brake Hose Recall, which so far seems to be limited to North America but I know from feedback here in Australia, that there have been similar problems, so this will probably end up as another world wide recall.

As most on this forum would know, the first of the L322 RRs had a serious flaw in the front diff and that resulted in a world wide recall, and I had two fail before they did the fix.

There was the recall for the substandard high pressure fuel hoses, that would perforate and spray fuel on to hot engine parts and caused numerous fires.

There is the recall in the USA because of faulty wiring associated with the Safety Air Bags system.

And how is this for safety. The latest batch of RRS have arrived in Australia and are at the dealers ready for delivery, but the dealers are not allowed to release them because the RRSs have a potential fire hazard in the Air Conditioning wiring.

I have read heaps on potentially life threatening faults and failure in a large number of different makes of vehicles, but no other make comes close to the so many life threatening problems that Land Rover has.

So as the heading asks, does LR make the worlds most dangerous vehicles? 2007 TDV8 Lux

Last edited by drivesafe on 19th Feb 2015 9:36pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #313350 18th Feb 2015 12:07am
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

At least Land Rover have not had to recall ALL of their cars unlike Ferrari with the 458 that kept setting fire to itself!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11156782

If you don't like LR products, then don't buy them!

Post #313352 18th Feb 2015 12:37am
discowill

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I have owned over 40 Land Rover products and never really had any serious issues so I am either very lucky or other people are very unlucky, I have a Disco 1 which I off road all the time and abuse and this has never failed to get me out and home with a little bush mechanics from time to time, I did 260,000 miles in a Disco 3 and another 170,000 miles in my next Disco 3 and in the later a 2007 I have replaced the alternator, a compressor pump and a couple of bushes all other things have just been routine services e.g. brakes and the like. My 2011 FFRR Autobiography Black has had 1 fault in 4 years and 75,000 miles with the roll pin that connects to the bias control for the turbo's as this was steel this rusted and ceased causing limp mode, I green lane the FFRR and it has been all over Europe several times, I would fully trust this to do a 5,000 mile trip in without even opening the bonnet. I have owned other products like VW and had loads of issues, everyone says they are bullet proof but not in my case, I also own a BMW E60 M5 V10 and everyone says these have issues but again I have not had any problems, I also have a BMW X5 which I know I will get grief on here for admitting but I find this a great car too no issues. I think some people do not look after their cars properly, skimp on services and end up with issues, I agree the recalls should not be happening with £100,000 cars but I think every manufacturer has these issues and in cars packed with as much technology as a FFRR there is a lot to go wrong, My next car will be ordered soon and this will be another FFRR L405 Autobiography Black Design LWB so I have full confidence in this being another great car. Very Happy

Post #313355 18th Feb 2015 1:02am
55palfers

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black

No.

Post #313433 18th Feb 2015 12:29pm
drivesafe

Hi Discowill and good to hear you have had such a good run

Hi Paul and I have also been supplied pictures of burning Land Rovers but thats not the point of this thread.

I am just curious as to what other Land Rover owners think of all the continual failures LR seems to turn out. 2007 TDV8 Lux

Post #313438 18th Feb 2015 12:47pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

<insert> issues plenty of recalls every year. Nothing's perfect.

Post #313449 18th Feb 2015 2:56pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Jaguar is now doing very well for reliability, you wonder when LR will learn from them.

Post #313458 18th Feb 2015 4:50pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I think any of us would be hard pressed to think of a manufacturer that mass produces vehicles that HAS NOT a recall based on safety .... start thinking things attached to vehicles too - Bridgestone/Firestone anyone?? Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #313460 18th Feb 2015 4:54pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

what manufacture had to recall thousands for sticking throttle issues, toyota? now that i'd class as dangerous.

is your post aimed more at reliability issues rather than safety? You can paypal direct using - www.paypal.me/duckworthparts
Please supply your full name address when sending a paypal payment.
https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts
www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: robin.hall@duckworth.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Post #313481 18th Feb 2015 5:53pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I owned (nobody laugh) a 1998 Ford Explorer - they were recalled for sticking throttles AND Firestone tyre issues Big Cry Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #313484 18th Feb 2015 5:55pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

some figures on manufacture recalls, the Japanese brands don't fair well

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/105981...roads.html You can paypal direct using - www.paypal.me/duckworthparts
Please supply your full name address when sending a paypal payment.
https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts
www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: robin.hall@duckworth.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Post #313489 18th Feb 2015 6:04pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Recalls are good, no mater how old the cars are, I had a Disco 1 that was recalled on the fuel tank issue on v8 s only and by then the Disco was I think 5 or 6 years old, main dealer changed tank and they hated the job! Still got the old girl too Cool If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #313495 18th Feb 2015 6:20pm
drivesafe

Hi Duck and others, I am not talking about purely reliability issues. Land Rover has always been the worst vehicle maker when it comes to reliability problems.

As your own London Telegraph stated last year when the reliability list was printed up for 2013. It’s headline in the motoring section stated” Land Rover tops the list again, if you turn it up side down”

Land Rover’s inability to make reliable vehicles is not only well documented but is a joke according to your own UK media.

Again, I am talking about safety issues and I too can name quite a few other brands that have had major safety issue recalls.

GM has a huge safety recall in the USA, over ignition switch failures that have killed people.

VW had to recall the first of their new Beetles because of a potential fire hazard in a wire loom in the engine bay.

Toyota has another recall on right now because of exploding air bags.

And there are quite a few more, the point is though, as I posted above, how many other makes have had as many DIFFERENT recalls for potentially life threatening faults and failures? 2007 TDV8 Lux

Post #313497 18th Feb 2015 6:37pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
Recalls are good

I'd much rather the manufacturer issued a recall, rather than was forced to, e.g. GM.

Post #313499 18th Feb 2015 6:39pm
discowill

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I am not saying they are perfect but I don't see a brake hose failing as a "Life Threating Situation" more a "brown pants situation" at worst, I have snapped many brake lines off roading and you get a warning as soon as the fluid level drops, at this point the brakes still work almost perfectly (Eastenders is not real life lol) and any imbalance would be rectified by the on board electronics/ABS so if you stupid enough to ignore the warning you should not really be the owner of a driving license. The front diff problem I had on my 2002 V8 was a well known issue and my dealer fixed mine as soon as it happened but I am still alive so not really a "Life Threating Situation" either, if your car catches fire (and I have had it happen in a 1989 Vauxhall Caviller which was 3 days old) you just pull over to the hard shoulder grab your phone, run and watch it burn while waiting for the fire brigade to come and put it out, again I am still alive and Vauxhall kindly gave me another new car the next week no drama with a known ignition fault. Recalls are recalls they will always go on and every brand has it's issues. I am on a few forums and we always have the Jap Crap Barbie Truck brigade going on how good and much more reliable their 4x4's are, how much better they are off road etc etc I have been off roading for 25 years and I am still waiting for proof and most of the guys I know have see the light and moved over to Landy's. See the vid link below and the comments Very Happy

Post #313503 18th Feb 2015 7:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>