Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 2015 L405 problems starting at 280 miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Ms. Mdx

United States 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Scotia Grey

I'd be unhappy that they had my RR for a week, even if they gave me a Lamborghini loaner. I guess we have been blessed with extreme good luck when none of our other cars over the years have had rattles ... even after 40,000 miles!

I guess we'll agree to disagree on our view of this.

On positive note, the dealer has an off road day next month and I signed up for it. My husband will be away, but my teen boys seem interested! 2015 RR ATB (Scotia Grey w/Cirrus-Ebony)
2014 MB E63 s/AMG
2010 Acura MDX

Post #314158 21st Feb 2015 6:39pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

I agree, cars can be problematic for some and not others. BUT, landrover do seem to be a lot worse than others. You can't get angry or defensive for some one airing there own point view or there personal experiences.

Most people I speak to say that lr customer relations is very poor. And as for countries other than the uk only they can judge.

Who here can honestly say they would be pleased at there brand new 150k motor being turned over? I wouldn't.

Steve You remind me of a young me, not much younger mind, perhaps even a little older!

Post #314160 21st Feb 2015 6:55pm
Ms. Mdx

When I went out earlier in the day I found 3 screws in one of the front cupholders ... something they never put back ... well later in the evening went to get some takeout and found the part they never put back, on the floor behind the driver's seat. It is the plastic cover under the dash, just above the pedals. Not much confidence for future fixes when they can't even put things back the way they found them.

I can't even enjoy my upgraded sound system since I am always listening to how/when the rattle happens so I can give service a thorough description of how to replicate it. 2015 RR ATB (Scotia Grey w/Cirrus-Ebony)
2014 MB E63 s/AMG
2010 Acura MDX

Post #314239 22nd Feb 2015 3:24am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

It would drive me batty that rattle. I would say it is an internal rattle and sounds very much like plastic on plastic. I would be driving around in the car, well let someone drive it and try to stick my head all over to pinpoint the location. Once you have that, start taking apart the area where the noise is coming from.

I still have this feeling that the musty smell and the rattle could be connected in the sence that some part of the AC ducting has come loose and is causing the rattle.

As for the brake squeal, have they let you know what they found ?? I am always worried about brake issues especially since that story of pads that were loose.

As for the Lambo, I would have loved to take a nice Lambo (Murcielago that is) out for a spin Smile. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #314242 22nd Feb 2015 3:45am
Ms. Mdx

ebajema, I'll type out what they wrote for AC and brakes.

Brake
Suspect non- robust manufacturing- brake pad material
Tech assist directed replmt brake pads w/ P/N#LR039526
Frnt pads repl'd per TA directive

(but when they listed out the part number below that they put LR020362 for the brake pads, so not sure why different from the write up above)

AC
ATCM can not maintain the AC evaporator temperature within effective range throughout start stop cycle as per LB00709NAS1
Verified customer concern.
Performed ATCM module software update as per LTB00709NAS1. 2015 RR ATB (Scotia Grey w/Cirrus-Ebony)
2014 MB E63 s/AMG
2010 Acura MDX

Post #314246 22nd Feb 2015 7:57am
Ms. Mdx

Did some research on TOPIx and came up with these bulletins:

1) SSM63877 - L405 V8 Transmission Heat Shield Vibration 1400-1600 rpm

2) LTB00482NAS5 - supercharger (clattering/rattle noise) 5.0L S/C V8

Anyone have any ideas if the issues in these bulletins could cause the type of rattle sound you hear in the YouTube video I posted? My rattle does seem to happen in that 1500 rpm range. 2015 RR ATB (Scotia Grey w/Cirrus-Ebony)
2014 MB E63 s/AMG
2010 Acura MDX

Post #314247 22nd Feb 2015 8:02am
Ms. Mdx

Someone had asked for a photo ...
All I have at the moment as this past week the RR was supposed to be detailed and have clear bra installed on front bumpers and hood, instead of spending the week getting dusty at the dealership.

2015 RR ATB (Scotia Grey w/Cirrus-Ebony)
2014 MB E63 s/AMG
2010 Acura MDX

Post #314248 22nd Feb 2015 8:14am
ebajema

Great looking car, me likey Smile.

The Transmission Heat Shield would be my first pick for the rattle tbh. even though it is RPM specific and not speed specific as you described it but then if it does happen cruising around 1500 RPM definitely worth checking.

Less likely that the rattle is related to the supercharger judging from the YouTube video IMHO.

Clearly the dealer guys/gals didn't look at Topix because that heat shield is not painted in body colour I'm sure Smile.

Let us hope that the bad batch of brake pads has been dealt with, not handy to keep the part number the same but maybe the amount of faulty pads is just too low.

The AC fault is a matter of waiting to see if it reoccurs to see if the software update made a difference. Can you remember what the weather conditions were like and where the car was parked in the hours before the musty smell ?? If you have same/similar conditions the chance is that the smell will come back is biggest if it hasn't been fixed. At least they confirmed that the problem was there Wink.

I hope that at least the brake and AC issue are now gone for good and that the rattle is now going to be resolved soon as well. May even be worth to go to a decent indy around the corner and ask them to verify if all the shields around the transmission are tight. Although you wouldn't want them to be pulling parts of to get access. Not sure if that is needed since I have never seen a L405 bottom.

Finding the loose screws and cover is absolutely unforgiveable, that is really bad service Smile. They owe you a nice big dinner voucher at a very decent restaurant !!

Which part of CA do you live in anyway ?? MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #314251 22nd Feb 2015 9:04am
Ms. Mdx

Thanks ebajema! I bought the Scotia color sight unseen and I'm very happy with the way it looks.

Yes, always nice when they confirm a problem instead of writing a footnote saying "crazy customer" Rolling Eyes

I'll bring up the Heat Shield on Monday ... give them somewhere to start their search again.

Forgot to add - I'm in the Los Angeles area. 2015 RR ATB (Scotia Grey w/Cirrus-Ebony)
2014 MB E63 s/AMG
2010 Acura MDX

Post #314260 22nd Feb 2015 9:55am
scott4197

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Baltic Blue

Hello Ms Mdx

Firstly, I like the photo of your car. It looks awesome.

Secondly, that noise is not transmission heat shield vibration.

I had that on my car. It was a buzzing noise which happened in a very limited rev range.

It is an unusual sound. Does it happen when the climate control is turned off? I wonder if it is a ventilation fan..

Good luck !

Ms. Mdx wrote:
Did some research on TOPIx and came up with these bulletins:

1) SSM63877 - L405 V8 Transmission Heat Shield Vibration 1400-1600 rpm

2) LTB00482NAS5 - supercharger (clattering/rattle noise) 5.0L S/C V8

Anyone have any ideas if the issues in these bulletins could cause the type of rattle sound you hear in the YouTube video I posted? My rattle does seem to happen in that 1500 rpm range.

Post #314393 22nd Feb 2015 9:00pm
Ms. Mdx

Thank you Scott! Yes, it still happened with Climate completely off. 2015 RR ATB (Scotia Grey w/Cirrus-Ebony)
2014 MB E63 s/AMG
2010 Acura MDX

Post #314396 22nd Feb 2015 9:18pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Lovely car. I hope you get the problems sorted.

But, here's one BUG clue: all the stuff in the back that wasn't reattached. I don't have much confidence in the person doing the repairs. Maybe time to get JLR involved. I'm sure a competent mechanic will have you sorted out promptly.

Post #314399 22nd Feb 2015 9:23pm
crookedm

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Why, when people rightly moan about issues they have with cars of this value do some people on this forum have a pop at them ? Regardless of how groundbreaking, modern, how many parts they have etc the build quality should be meticulous.

Stop making excuses for a brand that sells these as luxury vehicles! It's a dealer issue doesn't cut it, the dealer gets stock
that shouldn't have some of problems I read on here. Granted they have an opportunity to fix the issues but these where issues after 6 days. I wouldn't expect to see the dealer again until a service.

The message from some on here is that owners should roll over and take mediocre quality on high priced vehicles. Appalling.

Post #314421 22nd Feb 2015 10:58pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Shocked That is a horrendous noise to be coming from a brand new car. Totally unacceptable.
You should take the dealer principal out for a drive, let him hear it, then tell him you want another car !! Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #314433 22nd Feb 2015 11:39pm
ebajema

I hope you have better luck with the rattle resolution this time.

I lived in LA (stayed in Long Beach and worked in Lynwood) in the early 90's for a year. Loved it there Smile. Especially winter season going up to Mammoth almost every weekend Twisted Evil

There is no way anyone should accept these sort of issues on any vehicle from JLR or other A-list manufacturer. It is bloody disappointing to see that the "B-manufacturers" like Kia, Hyundai and the lot are catching up and surpassing the JLRs and others.

From what I understand Mercedes, BMW and Audi are also not "always good" either. They too have their issues and so do the top reliability brands like Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Nissan etc. It is just sad that JLR keeps lagging behind so far. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #314450 23rd Feb 2015 9:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>