Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2003 Range Rover 4.4 having a mental breakdown
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
topman1993

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
2003 Range Rover 4.4 having a mental breakdown

Ok, so recently had the transmission reconditioned as well as having a new air compressor fitted, so for the whole of 3 days the carwas running beautifully!!

Went on a short motorway journey, approx. 100 miles in total, parked up for the night and that was it.

Woke up in the morning to find the brake lights on, so obviously the battery would be flat. Tried jumping starting it off another diesel car with the engine running but the key will not turn. Central locking, lights, seats, windows all work, but key will not turn or unlock steering wheel. Checked all the fuses and are all ok.

so next morning called out the AA. He checked it all and by touching something around by the brake pedal (he doesn't know himself what he done..) the ignition came back to life and the car was started. With the car running, the indicators on the outside worked but would not flash on the dash, radio was initially working but then just started to flash the LR logo on and off. Also, with the key in, the brake lights would operate normally, but as soon as the key is removed the brake lights stay on.

So he suggested to take it to a auto electrician to get it checked out and with the famous last words "atleast you can use it" he left. 30 mins later, tried to start the car and was back to square one, key would not turn.

I have replaced the brake light switch, and also tried a brand new battery. Tried doing a hard battery reset, tried wiggling around the mounds of wiring to see if it may be affected by a short or bad connection. but nothing.

Noticed that there is water ingress on the passenger footwell, but Body Control ECU is bone dry.

I have contacted a person i know who used to work for LR, and coincidentally he is working on the same car with exactly the same problem and he isn't sure what it is as of yet!!

Could any of you recommend anything else?
Confused

Post #315044 26th Feb 2015 10:56pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Well what your describing there is exactly what happened to mine after I took it swimming... it was under water to the depth of the boot floor, soaked loads of things as well as the BECM.... I stripped the interior out, removed the BECM, took it apart, cleaned it out with contact cleaner then left it in the airing cupboard for a week... put it all back and it worked fine...

So I would imagine the BECM has got wet somewhere along the lines...

Four bolts to remove the passenger seat to get to it and give it a good clean and dry, don't try it out with the seat disconnected from the car or you will set off the airbag warning and need the code reset.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #315063 27th Feb 2015 1:37am
topman1993

Will try this tomorrow, if this fixes it.. do you happen to know where the water is coming in from??

Post #315064 27th Feb 2015 1:39am
Haylands

Well mine was because I parked it in the middle of a Welsh river.....

Check the sunroof drains for blocking, don't use an airline, you will blow off the tubes and then your knackered... use a garden strimmer wire or similar....

Could also be windscreen seal, door seal or someone just left the window open.... sat on my key indoors once and did a global unlock on mine and it opened all the windows and sunroof, luckily it didn't rain... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #315065 27th Feb 2015 1:47am
Haylands

There is a plunger within the ignition switch which stops you turning the key if the immobiliser doesn't get the right signal from the BECM, you can remove it and then at least you can turn the ignition on to fault find... you can also remove the devise that locks it in park when you switch off, then you can get it on a flatbed if nothing else works.... Pete

Post #315066 27th Feb 2015 1:51am
topman1993

Will check all these once the problem has been fixed! how do i go about removing the lock/ plunger?
cheers

Post #315067 27th Feb 2015 1:54am
Haylands

Rather not divulge that on an open forum...

PM sent... Pete

Post #315068 27th Feb 2015 2:01am
topman1993

Ok, so after speaking to haylands, went out to the car to try everything he mentioned and it's decided it wanted to work today Censored
It still has the odd electrical problem with the radio, indicators and brake lights.

Anyway, checked the bcm, put it in the oven at 80'c for 40 minutes and still the same. Cleaned the plugs and contacts with contact cleaner and still the same.

Got around to the boot and decided to check the plugs in all of the modules in the left side of the boot. Every single plug is green.. Big Cry

Post #315375 28th Feb 2015 9:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1