Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Park heating: some quick & practical questions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Range Rover

Netherlands 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green
Park heating: some quick & practical questions!

I have the Range Rover Vogue TD6 3.0 diesel and installed the remote (T91), Receiver, Webasto Antenna in the car and had the software activated at the dealer. So far so good. Surprised

However, after the default 30 minutes burning time at an outside temperature of anywhere between -5 up to +5 degrees Celcius, the car interior isn't actually comfortably warm Crying or Very sad

Everything seems to be working, I have no white smoke from the FBH, pump is working, circuit board inside FBH seems OK, battery is fine, etc. etc. I already replaced the FBH itself once, and some other items as well.

My practical questions are:

1. Should the temperature meter already be out of the blue zone when starting the car after the 30 minutes?
2. Is it correct that the interior heating starts blowing immediately, so cold air initially?
(Or should it only start after the cooling fluid has reached a certain temperature, example 30 degrees)
3. Should the car be comfortably warm with above outside temperatures, or are my expectations too high?

- I think I do not have the "Change Over Valve" installed in my car.
- My cooling fluid reaches a temperature of around 35 - 40 degrees only after having run the 30 min cycle

I do have really all the technical information on this available, both Landrover and Webasto, but I cannot find the answers to my (simple?) questions.....

Thanks so much for advising me on this. Bow down

Post #315080 27th Feb 2015 8:10am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I think from reading lots and lots of posts here on the beloved FBH you have hit the nail on the head , if you car was not fitted with park heating from the factory you wont have the change over valve fitted Crying or Very sad 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #315086 27th Feb 2015 8:30am
Range Rover

OK thanks for replying - but then is the reasoning behind my "problem" that the cooling circuit is too long/big to heat it up to let's say 75 degrees in 30 minutes? I know the Change Over valve separates the 2 cooling systems, but I find it hard to believe it would only reach 35-40 degrees after 30 minutes burning time not having it installed.

Other SUV like Volvo etc. do get warm inside including pre-heating the engine, and definitely the RR is a special car (...) but it can't be that special?

By the way, according to the tech info also my outside mirrors should be activated for 3 minutes, this is not happening,

At Landrover they did find some error codes, but these could be broadly interpreted so no actual problems were found yet. And I don't want to pay them EUR106,- an hour for investigating electric wiring problems.... Evil or Very Mad

Post #315097 27th Feb 2015 8:53am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

To be fair, I recon I'm in the same boat.

I activated park heat using the iidtool and I get the option of aux heat on the dash as well as aux cooling, but when set, it doesn't really get warm. The FBH seems to work fine though.

Do we need to fit something else as well then ? 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #315266 27th Feb 2015 6:50pm
Range Rover

Do your hoses get warm? Also after passing the small auxiliairy pump, towards the interior?

My front window gets defrosted, but like yours, not very warm, and temp meter remains fully on the left (cold) side.

I must admit it does help a little to use the FBH, it is quicker warm when driving.

But I'm pretty sure it should be warmer in the first place.....

Post #315289 27th Feb 2015 8:13pm
Range Rover

By the way, we're not the only ones....

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic29369.html?highlight=fbh

ajac8 wrote:
Just how warm is the inside supposed to get? When I have run mine for the max 30 mins the inside is only really just 'off cold' - You can tell its been warmed up but only just.. I appreciate the ambient temp will have a lot to do with it but does anyones cabin get 'toastie' warm so to speak? Is my FBH short changing me?

(also flashing green light every three seconds Thumbs Up )

Post #315291 27th Feb 2015 8:26pm
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey
Re: Park heating: some quick & practical questions!

Range Rover wrote:
I
My practical questions are:

1. Should the temperature meter already be out of the blue zone when starting the car after the 30 minutes?
2. Is it correct that the interior heating starts blowing immediately, so cold air initially?
(Or should it only start after the cooling fluid has reached a certain temperature, example 30 degrees)
3. Should the car be comfortably warm with above outside temperatures, or are my expectations too high?

i have done some research on these and also run a Websato in my 110, fitted myself and had one in my td5 prior also fitted myself (both block heaters) Thermo Top Cs

1. in the 110 the temp is at 45deg after approx 20-25mins running (11L coolant i believe) thats with the thermostate on hot so valve open. in the range rover i dont have diagnostic so cant tell temp, but its only just off the bottom on the temp guage after 30mins

2. in my 110s the fan comes on when the coolant gets to 40deg C. in the RR the fan comes on straight away. Websato info says it comes on at certain temp of coolant, this doesnt seem to be the case with my RR.

3. No i think is the general answer - it will be warmer! but not comfortably warm. it should defrost the screen and it will warm up quicker than without running the FBH but its not like you can get in and not put the heated seats/steering wheel and heaters on!

these are my findings based on 10MY RR. tdv8. Cheers

James

Post #315300 27th Feb 2015 8:52pm
Range Rover

James,

Thanks a lot, even though it's disappointing. Indeed it defrosts (not the full screen however, but most of it).
My outside mirrors do not defrost (though they should - 3 minutes activation should apply according to the docs).

Post #315305 27th Feb 2015 9:22pm
Rangie4fun

Austria 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black

Maybe silly question Rolling Eyes but have you set the the temp setting at AUTO (i.e. both leds burning in the knob) and warm (let' s say 25 degrees)? Without that no correct working of the FBH...
Mines working OK but never noticed about the mirrors Sheep

Post #315554 1st Mar 2015 12:50pm
Range Rover

Hi, this is actually not applicable at least for the Range Rover MY '06. The car software closes the ventilation for the interior fans whilst only the front window blower is open.

It does not make use of the climate control settings, just sets itself at speed 1 at the front window. Range Rover Vogue, MY '06 TD6 3.0 Tonga Green

Post #315558 1st Mar 2015 1:21pm
Range Rover

Well, to conclude, is there anybody who has the Diesel Vogue '02-'09 with Park Heating not being from factory directly, that does get a warm interior and preheated engine?

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Range Rover Vogue, MY '06 TD6 3.0 Tonga Green

Post #316013 3rd Mar 2015 9:04pm
vaz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

@ Range Rover.

Our 2004 HSE did not come with park heating from the factory.

I fitted a 2nd user receiver and enabled it with the IID tool. I then use the setting function on the sat nav, setting it to come on around a half hour before I set off for work in a morning.

Since I got the FBH working we have not had any very cold mornings (typical), but with an outside temperature of around 2 deg centigrade, after half an hour the temperature gauge is just at the top of the blue area.

Feeling the hoses in the engine compartment, all the small hoses at the rear of the engine are nice and warm, there is even some heat travelling along the large hose to the top of the radiator, showing that the engine block is warming up.

Next time I use it I will measure the coolant pipe(s) temperature with the laser tool.

Whilst the interior of the car is not overly warm, it is a nice place to enter on a coldish morning.

Steve. 1968 Series IIA Pastel Green, nearly there project

Post #316020 3rd Mar 2015 9:55pm
ironhorse

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

i retro fitted mine,it runs on derv got the changeover valve and all standard pipework as factory fit

FBH off the car will get 25 ltr of water to 75 deg in 15-20 mins

on the car it defrosts the screen and most of the front side windows after 30ish mins,ok BUT not toasty inside

pull the fuse out that controles the fans (cant remember the number) its one of the big ones in the glove box

run the FBH for 20 mins then either test the water temp and/ or replace the fuse and feel the warmth comming out the vents (very toasty)

i think the fans come on to early and to fast to give the coolent time to warm up from cold
the fans need to be on a delay timer to give it a chance(like the disco and ZF rovers )

also try running the FBH after the car has been out for a run and left for say 15 mins to cool a bit, very toasty after a 20 min FBH cycle because the water temp is already lifted above cold

not all suffer from this
was there a software update to lower the fan speed or possably delay the fans that our cars missed out on

nige

Post #316022 3rd Mar 2015 10:01pm
Range Rover

vaz wrote:
@ Range Rover.

Since I got the FBH working we have not had any very cold mornings (typical), but with an outside temperature of around 2 deg centigrade, after half an hour the temperature gauge is just at the top of the blue area.

Feeling the hoses in the engine compartment, all the small hoses at the rear of the engine are nice and warm, there is even some heat travelling along the large hose to the top of the radiator, showing that the engine block is warming up.

Whilst the interior of the car is not overly warm, it is a nice place to enter on a coldish morning.

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve! Thumbs Up

If your temp gauge is at the top of the blue area, then at least the result is already better than mine. It stays at the bottom of the blue part (whereas it does heat up more quicker once driving, that's for sure).

What I find interesting in your feedback is that the hoses are "nice and warm". If you feel them after a drive, they are really HOT (at least 85 degrees C). So I am wondering if your hoses would reach similar temperatures like mine (between 35 - 40 degrees on average after 30 minutes) then your gauge meter shows a different result (and mine doesn't have any problems).

Do you know perhaps if you have the change over valve installed?

By the way, if you refer to the big hose that I think you do, I think it would mean your themostat is not closing properly or opening too quick? (As it should open only at 88 degrees on the Range).

Thanks again. Range Rover Vogue, MY '06 TD6 3.0 Tonga Green

Post #316057 4th Mar 2015 7:14am
Range Rover

ironhorse wrote:
i retro fitted mine,it runs on derv got the changeover valve and all standard pipework as factory fit

FBH off the car will get 25 ltr of water to 75 deg in 15-20 mins

on the car it defrosts the screen and most of the front side windows after 30ish mins,ok BUT not toasty inside

nige

I know! That's why I fail to understand why the result in the car and engine block are rather disappointing! Sad
Where does this heat go?

I think your theory is that the fans blow intial warm air alreay too early into the car, loosing heat on the cooling fluid right? Let me find the fuse and try that right away this morning.

And indeed, I once activated the FBH in the summer and I couldn't get into the car even without being toasted myself!!! This is similar as to when having driven, and then activating the FBH, whereas the cooling fluid is not cold anymore or already even warm. Range Rover Vogue, MY '06 TD6 3.0 Tonga Green

Post #316058 4th Mar 2015 7:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>