Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Adding additional gauges
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
2010BlackL322

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Adding additional gauges

Has anyone fitted aux gauges to monitor things like EGT’s / Boost / oil and water temp?

I know the GAP tool can show live data, but curious if anyone has tapped into systems with auxiliary gauges, some has.

Mine is a 2010 L322.

Thanks

Mark Check out my YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/UHBbLWZXw4A

Post #665735 2nd Jun 2023 2:56pm
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

I use a ScanGauge II plugged into the OBD port.

GAP don't recommend leaving the Tool always plugged in. The ScanGauge can be.

Mine is double-sided taped to the left of the instrument panel lower ledge. It does obscure the fog light symbols on the dash but in 7 years of L322 ownership, I've never needed the foglights.

https://www.scangauge.com.au/ Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #665790 3rd Jun 2023 7:27am
Ajmngn

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

This is something I’ve also been thinking about but haven’t yet come to the best conclusion. I’m not wanting to use GAP for everything as don’t want to leave plugged in.

Looked at ScanGuage 2 & 3 as options but are pricey, and not sure if they will do oil pressure as don’t think that data is available (it’s not in GAP, unless I’m being blind).

I am very keen to measure two things: oil pressure and oil temperature. Pressure because it’s a great early warning of things starting to go wrong; temperature as the water temp on dash is way way quicker to warm up than oil and I want to know when I can give the car full beans (when fully warm) or when it needs a rest (off road or towing). My logic is that by doing this, I will only extend the car’s useable life and be less likely to suffer a major problem with the major internal components.

I’ve been looking at two options:
- 52mm gauges that require a mounting pod or other solution.
- digital guages that can be customised to suit application.

For the 52mm guage solution, the hardest thing to decide on is where to mount it. There’s no blanks in the dash, and I don’t really want a pod either on top of the dash or on the A-pillar. However, a single A-pillar mount may turn out to be the most discreet and in-keeping with the car if fitted well and colour-matched to my dash trim to blend in.

Something like this might work with some modification:

Click image to enlarge

Another option is to use the top of the steering column and hide the guage within the dash surround but not blocking the dials with something like this:
Click image to enlarge

I’ve seen some mounts that use the air vent. The drivers side one by the door would be a good candidate, but this would likely need to be a custom 3D print design:
Click image to enlarge

Final option is to use the sunglasses holder and have a faceplate made for the LandRoverPassion pod to mount a guage or two. The only thing I’m not sure of is whether a 52mm guage will fit as not sure if the front plate is big enough. The website say they can do custom plates so I will write to them and ask as, if they do, this seems the best compromise to me.

The other option I’ve looked at is a company called Zara-Tech who make a wide range of digital guages that can be in various sizes, TFT, OLED or LED screens, and are pretty customisable to what you want. An example of a simple oil temp/pressure multi guage is here:
https://zada-tech.com/products/oled-multi-...ulti-gauge

As for sensors, this seems to be the easy part. For oil pressure you just need a simple t-extension to put into the existing oil pressure sensor threaded hole and then put the cars original one on along with the new guage’s sensor. For oil temp I was going to replace the turbo sump’s plug with a sensor plug, it looks like it should be an easy swap once I know the thread size of the existing plug.

If you have any ideas for other solutions or options then I’m all ears, so please do let me know and I hope this helps? Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red
2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI manual with low-range in Highland Green. Currently SORN whilst undergoing some serious restoration!

Post #665799 3rd Jun 2023 10:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1