Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Replacing front right height sensor with self adjust lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dave1946

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green
Replacing front right height sensor with self adjust lights

Despite lots of on line searching I haven't been able to discover the answer to a simple question; how can the head light levelling continue to work after fitting a replacement front right height sensor?
On the 2002 - 2006 RR the front and rear right height sensors send signals to both the EAS ECU and the head light levelling ECU. (On those models fitted with xenon self levelling lights)
These sensors are denoted by a White line around the plastic case and have six pins.
Three of the pins are connected to the suspension ECU, supply, return and signal, and the other three likewise for the light ECU.
But now it seems, it's no longer possible to obtain these 'special for light levelling vehicles' sensors, genuine at any rate.
Instead the sensor now available is a different shaped one without any White line markings, and more to the point, with only three pins.
Checking the RAVE wiring diagrams shows that those three pins are correct for matching the suspension connectors in the wiring plug, but nothing for the light system.
So do we now simply loose the head light levelling ability?
I've read on other threads about problems encountered with MOT testing, in that self levelling light systems, if fitted, must work!
Has anyone got information that could throw some light on this please?
(Sorry about the pun)

Post #316439 5th Mar 2015 9:46pm
Joe90

England 

There are two different types of height sensor, one for cars with xenons and ones without.

Best to go for OEM with this, so try Dan at Duckworths for the right one. provide your VIN and he will know whether you have Xenons or not. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #316473 5th Mar 2015 11:40pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Might be worth reading this,

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic27417....elling+ecu

Post #316504 6th Mar 2015 9:57am
Dave1946

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Thanks for that link nicedayforit. I had read that thread and taken on board the discussion about awkward testers.
My RR is a 2002 model and does have the full working light levelling system.
Apart from the MOT thing, I have an irrational belief that if a thing is fitted it should work!
But hey ho, looks like this time I must accept that it isn't going to.
As it says in the other thread, the system was discontinued from 2004, and then a revised version was used from 2006 I believe. So only some cars were fitted with this system for just two years; not much of a recommendation for it anyway!

Post #316506 6th Mar 2015 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1