Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Engine Tuning Module affects suspension on L405 4.4l SDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Hobo729

Cyprus 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue
Engine Tuning Module affects suspension on L405 4.4l SDV8

Having had good results with a tuning module on my 2008 3.6l TDV8, I decided to try doing the same to my 2013 4.4l SDV8 and after a lot of webcrawling, chose a RaceChip Ultimate. The most noticeable effect on the car was not the performance improvement expected but a significant change in the quality of the ride. Gone was the magic carpet ride and instead, there was the sort of ride you would expect by changing from 20" wheels to 22" wheels - my car has the standard 21".
Race Chip technical support said it was simply not possible and suggested various alterations to the fuel map program but the only way to restore the serene ride quality was to remove the module. I sent it back to RaceChip and got my full refund - no problems but I did want to improve the 'off the mark' responsiveness and the module certainly sorted that OK. So, more webcrawling and this time phone calls to the suppliers and I am now trying a BlueSpark Pro who assured me they had not had any complaints about suspension issues. Fitted the module and although there is a great improvement in engine response - the ride quality is affected just as the RaceChip had done.
Not possible say BlueSpark tecchies - you must have connected it up wrong - no says I and includes photos to prove where it is connected to the fuel rail sensor. We are still trying to discover why this can happen before I give up and return the module for refund - has anyone got any idea how this module can interfere with the suspension??

Post #298916 14th Dec 2014 1:27pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

No idea why it is causing problems, but I would be very wary of tuning "boxes" (which just trick the ECU into seeing things).

Post #298923 14th Dec 2014 1:50pm
Hobo729

I do understand your concerns - some of the cheap tuning boxes are certainly best avoided as they get up to all sorts of tricks which can lead to a real mess of problems - some very serious. However, many of the professionally engineered boxes can give really good results as I found with my 2008 3.6l TDV8. The power increase was amazing and even better was the real fuel economy increase - up from at best 24mpg to a genuine 28mpg and 30mpg possible with a light right foot. These figures were not those as shown by the OBC but worked out from the mileometer and fuel put into the tank. The car drove like a dream and covered a very reliable 96,000 miles with no problems.

My 'new' L405 SDV8 is obviously a 'dream machine' in most respects but I do find the engine response a bit lazy (sort of turbo lag?) when getting away from junctions etc. The tuning boxes certainly cure this and the shove in the back acceleration is a real pleasure - take off could be possible:) There is also an apparent improvement in fuel economy but I have yet to do the real sums to verify it.

I am of the belief that those clever chaps at Land Rover have linked the engine management ECU with the air suspension ECU and the extra engine power is sensed with a consequential adjustment to the ride control - if this is possible and intentional - could this be true?

Post #298938 14th Dec 2014 4:03pm
Philip

The "lag" from rest seems to be a diesel Land Rover feature - they all seem to have it, whatever the engine.

Post #298943 14th Dec 2014 4:23pm
Hobo729

Dynamic Mode?

I've just found a thread about Dynamic Mode - could this be what is being activated by the tuning box electronics? The suspension certainly firms up and is tighter in the bends. Just an idea:)

Post #298947 14th Dec 2014 4:42pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I would say that as the active suspension will measure G forces and react accordingly, fit the box and this is whats happening, if it was the same with both boxes then it must be the car that is changing things.....

As for the tuning boxes, they are OK if the car is working well, the problem can arise when there is an error in the fuel management, the box can override the limp mode the ECU will go into and cause significant damage to the car, if this happens it will be apparent from the codes stored in the car and the dealer will be able to tell you had a tuning box plugged in... result.... they will not honor the warranty and the price of a new engine will be at your door... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #298954 14th Dec 2014 7:12pm
Philip

No Dynamic Mode for the L405.

ASBS anti-roll takes information from steering angle and accelerometers, adaptive dampers from accelerometers and suspension height sensors. Presumably there are other inputs from other systems too - you would hope the manufacturers of the tuning box would know.

Post #298973 14th Dec 2014 8:48pm
Hobo729

I fully agree - you would expect these tuning guys to know what goes on within the cars 'brains' as obviously some vehicles (like mine) have very sophisticated systems which are probably not common on mundane stuff.
It's a shame because as I have already said - the improvement in performance is very effective and the throttle responsiveness is much improved. On that note, when I once complained about the 'throttle lag' I was told it was intentional to increase off road traction - it makes you smile doesn't it.
I know there are fellow enthusiasts who advocate ECU re-maps but although they are undoubtedly a permanent fix - do they also mess with suspension on the L405?

Post #299040 15th Dec 2014 11:01am
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

I looked at a lot and went with these http://www.pro-bitz.com and worked a charm for years like a rocket off the mark if I need it and never caused a problem any good? _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #299042 15th Dec 2014 11:28am
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

You're better of going to DMS...More expensive but they know what they're doing and you're more likely not to be doing your car more harm than good.

400hp out of the SDv8 gives it decent in gear pace and slightly improved mpg Cool '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #299050 15th Dec 2014 1:30pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I think you go about it the wrong way. Ditch the diesel and get a 5.0 SC, then you won't need any tuning boxes whatsoever Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #299071 15th Dec 2014 3:24pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

+1 5.0SC all the way! Thumbs Up

Post #299125 15th Dec 2014 7:05pm
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

Haha, fine if you don't do many miles or live where fuel is cheap....otherwise its the sdv8.... And a tweaked one will have 95% of the pull of a l405 sc but with double the economy. '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #299152 15th Dec 2014 8:38pm
Hobo729

DMS

Have you had tuning applied to your L405 SDV8 or are you talking of previous experience? Interestingly, my previous "chipped" TDV8 - although it was only the 3.6L version, was notably quicker up to around 85mph than my pals 2007 4.2L SC - and it didn't want to live at the petrol station Cool

Post #299165 15th Dec 2014 9:34pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Aeroresh wrote:
Haha, fine if you don't do many miles or live where fuel is cheap....otherwise its the sdv8.... And a tweaked one will have 95% of the pull of a l405 sc but with double the economy.

L405 SC mpg is much better than the L322's SC with the same engine.
I think the little difference in fuel economy shouldn't matter so much when you spend that much money on a new or nearly new vehicle. It's like having a nice swimming pool and saving money by half filling it!

Post #299196 15th Dec 2014 10:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>