Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L322 to L405 - Any regrets?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Hi Alistair, it was about 18 months ago when I owned the L322, I came from a Cayenne Turbo.

Dont get me wrong, I do not expect the same performance or handling, I did expect it not to bounce around and roll me from side to side. A good example, there is a stretch of road near my house, a 30mph limit approaching some traffic lights and the surface is uneven and rough, mine rocks from from side to side at less than 30 mph and sounds like Ive got reduced damping when I hit the rough gravel area.

I have specifically asked LR about updated dampers, roll bars, software etc. but they say mine needs none of those things so I can only draw on one conclusion, the L405 with adaptive dynamics is a waste of money because it rides like an older model.

Post #339510 28th Jul 2015 11:22am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Have you driven another one to compare? I'd say the ride/handling balance is pretty good given the luxury focus.

Post #339511 28th Jul 2015 11:25am
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Carlos,

I would really ask to drive another L405 from you dealer as I can assure you the adaptive dynamics makes a great difference.

Having driven the 3 engine variants, on some occasion back to back, I can guarantee the adaptive dynamics does make the L405 corner almost flat on roundabout and it is much better even on rough roads than the L322. (I prefer the floating feel of the L322, but this is another subject)

Anyway, again, ask to test drive another L405 and you will know if it is just yours that show this problem or all - but again I did not experience anything like you are mentioning with L405s. l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #339512 28th Jul 2015 11:31am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

That sounds nothing like mine - I think you should ask your local dealer to test drive another as I agree with Trommel, it sounds like your car has a problem the way you're describing it.

Post #339513 28th Jul 2015 11:31am
carlos50

Its back in this Thursday to have the bushes changed in the front suspension and I have passed these same comments to the dealer, lets see what happens?

Either I am expecting way too much or its got something wrong and they aren't telling me?

I am very disappointed so far though, I really thought this was going to be a great car. I wanted the 5.0 but it is outside of my budget, I don't think that's a wise move either just yet?

Thanks for the comments.

Carl

Post #339529 28th Jul 2015 12:36pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Nothing in your comments that would correlate to my experience. The TDV8 L405 is better in every way than the equivalent L322 regarding driving dynamics. It isn't a sports car and doesn't like being hustled on back roads but compared to an L322, it is a veritable go kart. That said, I don't often feel the need - I have another car for when I want to hustle.

The lag issue is the same as in the L322. I am thinking about an aftermarket remap but I only really notice it when pulling out quickly from a side turning - nothing, nothing, nothing, TOO MUCH! There was some talk that there was a gearbox remap to put it into first gear at a full stop (it normally pulls away in second, apparently and eventually kicks down).

I would definitely test drive a petrol one to get the full experience. The better engine response might sharpen up the experience for you.

Post #339546 28th Jul 2015 2:06pm
carlos50

Hi Emperor Mong, maybe Im expecting too much from it then. I drive a lot of country lane / town driving and very little A or M roads so perhaps I am expecting it to do things it just cant do?

I do still think it could be improved in a few areas but put that down to the usual RR quirks, if I am expecting too much then selling up is my only option because its not what I want from it.

I came from a high power SUV because I wanted more refinement as an option and that may well be where I need to go back to, but without the refinement Confused

Post #339568 28th Jul 2015 4:36pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Your views are as relevant as mine, Carlos.

I suppose different things are important to different people. Having an Aston to hoon in means that hooning in my Rangie is not important to me - it's not a role I expect the car to play.

Here's my views on your issues (it doesn't mean they're not issues, just my perspective on it):
1. It floats around, lifting the front up and down and rocking me from side to side all the time, the adaptive dynamics is clearly not suitable for the size and weight, its unsettling to be in a car that floats like this.
It is designed to be an off-road limo. It will float because that's what it's designed to do. I think it is well damped for what it needs to achieve. That said, I've not tried any other big 4x4s other than my wife's Toyota Landcruiser V8 (which is a truck - yuck).

2. It still feels very big and heavy unless on the motorway
It is big and heavy! Despite the aluminium chassis it is still a 2.25 tonne car (though it is 450kg lighter than an L322). Given that, I think it is able to hustle through corners with remarkable aplomb.

3. The turbo lag / lack or response is incredible, waste of time having 700Nm of torque because once its finally moving I have to slow down because the ride feels uncontrolled
The only time I notice this is pulling away. Once underway, it picks up pace fast enough for me. It's slow compared to my Aston but I want to waft in this car anyway.
Perhaps an engine remap might help?

4. The keyless entry is crap, the door buttons have to be pressed hard on some doors to activate the locking
I'm a bit confused. There aren't any buttons, just touch-sensitive "dimples". These are, I would agree, occasionally a little hit-and-miss but they always work second or third touch (I'm not aware that pressing them harder does anything but I will try that). They are like "Sex Panther" - "60% of the time, it works every time".

5. The soft close doors are crap too, they don't soft close quite a bit, they seem to have to be closed a certain way to activate it
I wish I could comment on this. My family seems to try to slam the glass out of the doors when they get in or out! Even I am conditioned to close the door with enough heft to close an L322 door. Whenever I remember to soft close, they work. If anything they are too good on mine. If I change my mind (I suddenly recall that I have forgotten something mid-slam) I try to stop it closing only to trigger the soft-close and I have to wait for that to finish before I can get out.

6. It lacks driver adjustment for suspension damping on-road unlike other brands, it should have firmer setting options like the Sport because it has been marketed as having adaptive dynamics and has a spec option for an active rear diff, what the f**k for?
The active rear diff is for off-roading. It has nothing to do with better traction at the limit on the road.
I agree some active ride-firming would be good. I have it on the Aston. But, given I like the ride/handling compromise, I don't think I'd ever use it.

7. The only way of getting the gearbox to wake up a bit is to use the paddles, even S mode is lazy.
I drive the Aston on the paddles all the time. I almost never use the paddles on the Rangie - it doesn't seem to suit it. I don't like the sound of the diesel engine being revved so I am happy to have the gearbox being lazy. With one exception. The sharp pull away. I now try to remember to click it down into first if I need a sharp getaway. Perhaps a gearbox remap?

8. Its not worth £40k more than a 2010 Supercharged L322, end of story
Not sure it's a totally fair comparison in that the 2010 S/C L322 would have been almost the same price new. Yes, that is the price-to-change but you are gaining a 5 year younger car and a factory warranty. From a "VFM-when-new" point of view, I think the L405 is clearly a better proposition. In terms of VFM-vs-a-5-year-old-car (that is 90% as good), then I'd agree with you. But on that basis, you'd never buy newer models - they always cost more and offer only incremental benefits. In the case of the Rangie, I know that, for me, comparing the STDV8 L405 vs the 2010 TDV8 L322, the trade was worth it. YMMV.

Versus Cayenne
Also, on the Cayenne, I went into a Porsche showroom the other day to pick up something for my Aston (Aston parts are in the next door Porsche garage near me) and I sat in one. I was struck by how small it was compared to my L405. A size down - more L495 RRS (and maybe smaller than that) than full fat sized. Looking at wiki - it is 15cm shorter and 14cm narrower.

Post #339575 28th Jul 2015 5:36pm
carlos50

I bought the L405 without ever having driven one, foolish looking back I know, and size was one of the reasons for my choice in truth.

I never expected Cayenne driveability but think I'm asking too much of the L405 having listened to the comments on here today.

I have an option to trade it against an ML63 AMG and that might be the way I go, but losing £15k in the process after 3 months Big Cry

Thanks for the feedback

Carl

Post #339588 28th Jul 2015 7:35pm

United Kingdom 

I would take an RRS SVR or a Cayenne Turbo ahead of an ML 65 any day. There is little to like about the ML other than the AMG engine in my view.

The way you describe your L405 there definitely seems to be something wrong with the suspension. However it also seems like the L405 is probably not the car you really want even if it was working properly so best to change for one of the above.

Post #339591 28th Jul 2015 7:45pm
carlos50

I cant afford the SVR and having just had the Porsche I thought the ML63 is the next best option? A standard RRS S/C came into my thoughts but I was worried it would still be too soft?

Is the ML63 a bad option, do you have first hand experience? It seems to get good reviews and is a lot different to the standard ML, which I would never consider having had one back in 2009.

Post #339592 28th Jul 2015 7:53pm

United Kingdom 

The ML's styling alone would make it a no go for me. I would even prefer an X5M to look at. I have not driven the latest one but agree that they have some good reviews.

Post #339607 28th Jul 2015 9:32pm
carlos50

I was unsure too, the ML doesn't look as good as an L405 then my local MB dealer got a white 14 plate ML63 into stock so I popped over last weekend, wow, its a different thing, wider, lower, larger wheels, much nicer inside with the leather etc and sounds unbelievable, didn't drive it but was very impressed.

Post #339635 28th Jul 2015 10:37pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Carlos,

I have PM'd you with an update to the ride issues.

Post #339649 28th Jul 2015 11:46pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

An ML is more like a Kia than any current Kia, awful inside and out - on another planet in comparison with an L405. 63's engine is surely the only saving grace.

Ultimately chasing fast car handling and performance in any jacked-up 2-tonne-plus SUV is an exercise in compromise - you'd be better off with an RS6 or similar. Why have a 4x4 at all if it's useless off-road, can't tow etc?

Post #339652 29th Jul 2015 12:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>