Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > TV in motion and video on a 2003 Non Touch Screen, Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 
TV in motion and video on a 2003 Non Touch Screen, Questions

Hi Chaps, I've just fitted a new toy to the tank and it has thrown up and couple of problems that I'm hoping someone will have the answer to Very Happy

I have just fitted a front tow hitch to the FFRR and it's the best thing since sliced bread for shunting trailers around, BUT it does require the assistance of a spotter to hitch up the trailer Sad

So I'm now thinking of fitting a camera behind the grill to look over the hitch. The first problem with this, is every time the car is in drive I get a polite notice telling me to Censored off Evil or Very Mad , but I have found a way around this. If I apply the hand brake 1 notch the Non receiving, next to useless analogue TV works, but I haven't tested how far I can go before the Bong of Death and the Screen of Doom start shouting at cos the brakes on! So TV in motion might be the way to go, but sending it to a stealer is not a cost effective option. So has anyone got a cheep solution?

Then the next brain teaser is what camera to get? Will I be limited to NTSC cameras or will a PAL camera work, bearing in mind that I will be using the Video input, not the reversing camera input. I have no idea, but I do have a hunch that a PAL one might work, on the logic that most DVD players and Digital TV tuners are PAL in this country, come to think of it in most countries! So if any of you have added a DVD or non L/R / BMW TV tuner to the system, please let me know how you got on Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #321842 8th Apr 2015 9:39pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I did this years ago - I got a TV on the go lead - which plugged directly in between a cable in the boot - blue connections on each end.

The video input was PAL

For some reason it was NTSC for reversing & PAL for aux in

I used mine when towing a boat trailer as I had a big blind spot behind it.

Post #321849 8th Apr 2015 10:15pm
Alistair

This is the one I had - it also has a reverse camera input - I wired to the reverse light to auto switch over to it.

They also do a more basic version - but for some reason that one now seems more expensive than this one.....

Post #321852 8th Apr 2015 10:22pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Did this give you the ability to see the camera when you are moving? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #321854 8th Apr 2015 10:36pm
Alistair

It has 2 inputs -

Reverse camera is triggered by +12V on a separate wire - I connected that to the reverse light
Aux input - the came lets the TV unit know it's there & is added to an option on the TV - so you can then select that input and you can see that on the move.

I guess you could also put the reverse cam on a switch - as soon as it gets 12v it flips the screen to the camera.

Post #321856 8th Apr 2015 10:50pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi mate.

You can enable tv on the move with Navcoder. Plus change all sorts of settings on the TV module, country, PAL etc.

Useful for other things too.

http://www.navcoder.com

You will need a lead and to register it if I remember right.... Mine gets used every so often....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #321870 9th Apr 2015 5:30am
Alistair

Is there a way to feed a camera into the existing setup ?

I can't remember that far back - I bought the lead primarily to have a reverse camera - the aux in was a bonus - but didn't think there was another way fo feed a camera in

Post #321896 9th Apr 2015 11:18am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Alistair, yes you can feed a camera in to the existing system, via the white plug on the TV tuner. However you will also need TV in motion so that you can access the camera when moving. This is locked out at the factory, and has to either be unlocked by Navcoder ,thanks Mark, or by buying a patch lead that goes in to the blue plug on the tuner. This lead is over £50 Shocked , I suspect that your FFRR has been Navcoded before you got it, as your TV works when your moving.

Mark, mate, pal, buddy, how is your Navcoder wired in? I looked at the Navcoder site and the link to the chap in Germany says that there are 4 wires, +12, -12, Ibus and NTSC??????????? Have you connected the NTSC via pin 17 blue plug, or is this not necessary? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #321981 9th Apr 2015 9:56pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Mark, forgot to ask, is your Navcoder interface permanently wired up, or is it removable? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #321983 9th Apr 2015 10:02pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I bought an interface from bmw cables and it has a USB on one end for the laptop and the other goes in the obd2 port under the dash......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnostics-...4ae728bda4

Thumbs Up

I know there is a way to pick the iBus up from the cable, but I went the easier route...... Though was £23 for the cable..... Plus the Navcoder registration and you are at £40 odd I think.

If you feel you would like to program the units from time to time it's not too bad. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #321987 9th Apr 2015 10:40pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Ooooooooo Razz

£23.99 is a bargain! it's 35.90 euros for the hard wire USB kit, think I'll go with the plug in one Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #321990 9th Apr 2015 10:51pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Update

Well I've had an interesting time, firstly I brought the lead that Mark suggested and a universal camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321705786788?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351356906186?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

And then the fun started! I was originally going to place the camera in the grill directly over the tow hitch, Censored Censored hitch didn't stick out far enough, so after a lot of head scratching and rolling around on my back under the car, I decided to put it in the bumper just below the number plate. And then the Censored started Very Happy

The very nice hole saw that came with the camera, looked a bit small, but, I thought that they knew better than me so I drilled the hole and caught the paint on the lower opening with the chuck, as the drill supplied had a very short shaft Censored Banging Head
I then dug out a pocket in the foam in the bumper, more like concrete, and started to prise the inner / outer skins apart and feed the camera plugs in / over and out of the bumper, that was a real struggle, and then I went to push the camera home in to the hole Banging Head Banging Head Censored hole Censored too small Evil or Very Mad So I fed the wires back and started to enlarge the hole, first I tried a half round file, Censored useless, then the good old Stanley knife, not very accurate. So I ended up using a rotary rasp / file in the drill, trying not to catch the bumper again, D'OH! Fortunately I didn't add too much to the paint damage, and I am planning on re-spraying the bumpers at some point.
Fitted the camera a second time and it fitted Very Happy I then ran the cable into the pocket behind the N/S fog lamp, and from there in side the inner wing to the door. I just ran the cable into the car over the door seal, and you can only see 3 inches of cable, bodge yes, didn't want to drill and holes into the car and was in no mood to try and get the cable through the grommet with the main loom and behind the dash / glovebox with all the head aches that would cause.
I managed to expose both ends of the cable tray that runs along the nearside, and do you think that I could feed a wire along said tray............... Censored Censored BMW, why don't they leave a drawstring in the tray?? So I then ran the cable on top of the tray, fed it under the seat at the carpet join, along the inside of the seat runner and back down the B post lower cover and eventually ended up a foot short of the TV module, about the same as the amount that I wasted going around the B post Censored
Lastly I fed the wires into the white plug and put it all together, then the moment of truth lights camera, blinking picture, D'OH! Gave up and called it a night, Censored night.

Today I started with the ffrr site and did a search, which ended up with the conclusion that the TV was set to the wrong country. So armed with this info I started to play with the settings on the TV with the camera off, fortunately I connected the camera to the feed that powers my DRL's and is only live with ignition in the on, not aux, as the picture was rolling big time and there was no way that you could make out anything on the screen. It turned out that the PAL / NTSC camera that I brought is in fact a NTSC camera and the screen doesn't like it when it's in PAL mode Shocked
The next hurdle to cross, was aiming the camera, I tried to turn it around, and the Censored was having none of it Evil or Very Mad
Idea use the gripper gloves that I have in the boot Very Happy that made life a doddle after that, and the world was soon in the correct orientation, but it was still reversed and had the grid superimposed on it, the idea was to cut the white wire that turned the mirror image off and leave the grid superimposed on a normal picture to aid hitching up trailers, but the Great God Sod was looking down on me, I cut the first wire and the grid went and the picture was still mirrored, so i cut the second wire and reconnected the first...... normal picture Very Happy but no grid Sad So I have decide to live without it.

I loaded up the laptop with navcoder and brought a licence, well cheap at the moment, the Euro it at a low Wink , the Beta version cost me £18.50 Mr. Green , and after a bit of messing around with the lead and windows 7, I managed to enable TV in motion Mr. Green
I have also discovered that my knackered and intermittent PDC is not a sensor, and is infact a dodgy loom Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #323221 19th Apr 2015 3:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1