Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Keyless locking, by simply touching the door handle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RFAA

United Kingdom 
Keyless locking, by simply touching the door handle

I know I will be inundated with: "...yes we all know that!..", but I thought I would share a really useful gimmick which a friend pointed out on his car and which still surprises that the dealer didn't go to great lengths to tell me about.

We all know that as long as you have the key fob about your person, you can unlock the doors by simply grabbing the handle: the moment your hand makes contact with the plastic of the handle, the door unlocks, the mirrors swing out and the novelty "Range Rover" puddle lamp messages turn on. What I was amazed by is the fact that you can subsequently lock the whole car by also touching the door handle (as long as you do not make contact with the inside part of the handle which faces the body of the car). Apparently, if you touch the handle twice, you get the "global locking" and if you let your hand remain in place for three seconds you also get the function which closes all open windows and the sunroof.

What I am not quite clear about, is which part of the outside of the door handle you touch. It seems that the shorter part (with the key logo) doesn't work, but the longer part (with the dimple) does. The instruction book isn't too clear, and I wonder if anyone can shine a light on whereabouts the contact has to be made. It seems to work best when I touch between the two parts, using the back of my hand

As I say, I am sure you will all be fully up to speed with this gimmick, but I was amused on a long fruitless fishing trip to Scotland! 2021 L405 RR Vogue SE D300 (Byron Blue/Black)
2017.5 L405 RR Vogue 3.0 TD6 (Corris/Black)
2016.5 RR Sport HSE Dynamic 3.0 (Corris Grey/Black)
2014.5 L405 RR Vogue 3.0 TD6 (Aintree green / Almond & Espresso)
2013 Audi A4 Allroad (temporary blip and so low down) GONE
2013 Defender 110 SX (Aintree Green) spent loads of time at Twisted
2011 L322 RR Vogue 4.4 TDV8 (Buckingham Blue / Black) GONE
2009 L322 RR Vogue SE 3.6TDV8 (Aintree green / Sand) lovely and GONE

Post #328280 17th May 2015 1:00pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

There's a little recess on each handle located at the most rearward part of the handle. You just touch that part lightly with your finger, once to lock, twice to superlock, hold to close windows and lock.

Post #328311 17th May 2015 4:28pm
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

The part with 2 lines does the job '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Last edited by Aeroresh on 25th May 2015 5:46pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #328318 17th May 2015 5:12pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks for the prompt - I did read it in the instructions but haven't tried it yet - I'm a bit old school & still using the fob Embarassed

Post #328320 17th May 2015 5:36pm
NormanP

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Aintree Green

I’m with you Alistair. And this explains my bafflement as to why when I’m washing the RR with the fob in my pocket it magically locks itself Embarassed . Never mind, I suppose in 20 years the RR will be driving itself to the car wash and coming home afterwards. Norman

Current LR: L405 Vogue TDV6 (MY 2014) Aintree Green/ Ivory interior
Past LR: L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 (2002); Discovery series1 V8 (1995)

Post #328327 17th May 2015 6:43pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I learnt quickly that when washing the car, leave the key in the house until you want to actually open the doors (or suppose you could unlock it then put key in the house - but will it then auto-lock if doors haven't been opened after unlocking?) to clean the sills as otherwise you are constantly locking/unlocking the doors as you clean the 4 of them. Must say though, mine is quirky , depending where you park e.g. I was at the LR Main dealer and the doors would not lock via touch (been there 3 times with same result) , had to use the fob, I can only put it down to it being near loads of other RRs and it was being confused by other signal being detected or the like? Also, I haven't tried it, but I assume the touch locking will also only lock the car if you have the key fob within the 1 metre range. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #328442 18th May 2015 1:26pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

My wife's (lowly) VW Passat Estate has this feature as well as the "wave your foot around under the bumper" to make the electric boot open - they are brilliant Thumbs Up

But I also suffer the same challenge when washing it - even the spray from the hose makes it unlock if the key is in my pocket Confused

Post #328456 18th May 2015 2:40pm
jettec

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Fuji White

Boys why do you not just unlock your cars then place the key fob inside the vehicle as the vehicle will not lock with the keys inside the vehicle if you touch the handle out side while washing . this will stop the vehicle locking and unlocking when you are washing the outside.

Post #328703 20th May 2015 7:07am
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

My door handles have round indentations which is where you touch for keyless locking...did this change at 15MY then?

Gesture Tailgate is coming for 16MY!

Post #328738 20th May 2015 10:28am
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

/\

Wow, on 2 fronts;

- "gesture tailgate" is such a ridiculous and pretentious term Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

- can't believe such an expensive, luxurious and "advanced" vehicle is so far behind a lowly VW Passat on this Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #328740 20th May 2015 10:36am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

VW Group is huge though, they will always have the technologies to pick and choose from across 12 brands.

Automatic suspension access height is on 16MY too.

Post #328741 20th May 2015 11:14am
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

You can lock the doors by touching ANY of the four door handles Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #328752 20th May 2015 12:31pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

@Jettec - only problem leaving the key in the car is that if you say get a call on home phone, nip to get something, or move away from the car for any other reason when it would be out of sight, its sat their waiting to be stolen. At least with it in my pocket or in the house, even with doors unlocked, I don't have to worry about an opportunist hopping in and driving it away. That said, I am in a very quiet neighbourhood at the end of a close, but still I would be worried for the day when I went to do something and for whatever reason forgot I had left the key in the car. Just me I suppose. Not worth the risk, as insurance company basically would not pay out if they subsequently found the key was left in the car intentionally and it was unattended when stolen (I wouldn't be able to lie to an insurance company, not in my nature). Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #328777 20th May 2015 3:55pm
Mariana Black

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Mariana Black

Thumbs Up Many Thanks. I did not know about the three second rule…..the windows and sunroof closes. Cheers

Post #329338 25th May 2015 9:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1