Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > P38 buying advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
P38 buying advice

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a shoot vehicle to prevent the SC from being used for the really mucky stuff over the winter, I'd originally thought a D2 would be good with a V8 auto, but the P38 market is awash with cars.

I know it has a bad reputation but they're still out there and you can get A LOT for your money. £2k buys you a 4.0 or a 4.6 HSE with every toy. The difference in comfort compared to my Defender I had is chalk and cheese. It will get me to shoots on cold days in comfort, keep me warm, transport me, other guns, dogs etc and be smooth as silk.

So, what do we all know about the P38?

After the usuals of checking service history, bodywork, interior, checking all electrics work, suspension goes up and down, there's no milkyness under the oil filler, it doesn't smoke heavily and drives smooth, what else is there to check on these that's out of the ordinary?

Are there any parts that are prone to bad rust? Looking on AT there are many to look at and they look in pretty good nick. I'm after a T plate and over, so a 2000 onwards. All I'd do is put privacy glass in if it isn't already (gun and dog security) and maybe some AT tyres.

Thoughts please? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #328390 17th May 2015 11:46pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

/\

I had a diesel P38 from one year old and kept it 3 years - build quality was poor then, so I dread to think of all the problems you'd be likely to encounter with something as old as you are proposing (wasn't "T plate" 1999) and I'd be surprised if all "the toys" will work or stay working for very long Sad

I'd be inclined to buy something simple, with very few toys to go wrong - that way your money will be going into a better "base vehicle" rather than the "toys and glamour" of a seriously ageing RR.

Also, by having a more basic "shooting hack", you'll really appreciate the RR when you get in it.

I have a TD5 Defender for the dogs and mucky jobs - it's absolutely great in it's own way, it costs very little to run and hasn't depreciated a penny since I bought it 18 months ago - that's my type of motoring Thumbs Up

If you really only want to spend circa £2k, someone I know has an old Isuzu Trooper as his car for the dogs and it's really reliable Thumbs Up

Post #328392 18th May 2015 12:00am
RRUK
Site Supporter

I appreciate that I was opening the flood gates to the P38 Scorn and Hatred brigade, my dad had a P38 DT and it was truly rubbish to drive but the build quality wasn't bad. You could say the same about the L322 in places, for such an expensive car it has some terrible bits to it. Let's not even go into the build quality of Defenders. They leave the factory and the owners spend their lives rebuilding then. They take build quality to a whole new lower level.

It's very easy to find a piece of ageing Jap metal but there's no sense of occasion or pride in those. I did the Defender for a few years and although I'm the biggest fan of Land Rovers, it's simply unpleasant to drive.

I'm not expecting a P38 to be like a brand new or modern car (they still have a radio cassette!) but I want something that I can use for a couple of thousand miles a year at most, and be wafted around in relative luxury.

There are few cars out there at the moment where you get so much for your money. Even fewer that do it with a lovely V8 and auto box.

I also know a guy who ran a Land Cruiser, and it fell to bits, he's never had one again and now only buys from the LR stable. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #328407 18th May 2015 8:30am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you've probably read this Adam but just in case you havnt,

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic31766.html ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #328408 18th May 2015 8:35am
RRUK
Site Supporter

Thanks Stan, as always opinions are divided, half hate them and half love them, and forums are places where people who've had issues tend to congregate. I'm sure there's many owners out there who had a relatively easy time with them and therefore don't need to vent on a forum about one. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #328410 18th May 2015 8:57am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I think for the miles you intend to do ( and if you find a "looked after "one ) you will be fine Thumbs Up .

Post #328411 18th May 2015 9:05am
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Never had a p38, but wanted one, I sticked with the D1 V8 which I still have and have had her 15 years and still going strong Mr. Green , less toys to go wrong and we all know the P38 had issues with porous blocks on the 4.6.

Have you thought about the RR classic, there are some good ones out that haven't been butchered and less electrics to go wrong ( not the air suspension version) and they have the built proof 3.9 V8 as well.

If your doing very low mileage forget devils juice versions, you'll regret it! but I guess you know this. If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #328413 18th May 2015 9:36am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Adam, my two penneth worth (for what its worth) why not look at a late soft dash classic? plenty around at that money (or slightly higher) If you were prepared to go the diesel route (300TDi) would be very reliable without much tech to go wrong! If not buy a petrol but look closely at the mechanicals as “there are good ones out there for under £3K”

LSE’s would give more room and a “sense of occasion” every time you drive it “mine does” and i doubt you would loose money Whistle

The P38 & D2 V8 run the same engine and i would always wonder when its going to overheat & ruin my day Rolling Eyes

Post #328414 18th May 2015 9:46am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Wouldn't want to ruin a nice LSE as a proper shoot hack though, and a Tdi in a Range Rover is all sorts of wrong (from experience).

I like P38s and they're a better drive than a late Classic (unsurprisingly). Saying that, one my father had ended up going back to Land Rover at a few months old for a new one when they couldn't fix an electrical problem.

Post #328419 18th May 2015 11:33am
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

Not sure I'd regard myself as part of the "P38 Scorn and Hatred Brigade", but spending £2,000 on such a complex car with so many toys to go wrong, has got to be asking for trouble, surely Whistle

As it goes, I enjoyed my P38 on the whole (it was the really basic DT manual with the strange fabric seats) and it got me into Land Rovers and Range Rovers, so it can't have been too bad Thumbs Up

Last edited by CEEGEE on 18th May 2015 12:03pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #328422 18th May 2015 11:48am
mike whiskey

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red

For my money, for that task, I'd be looking at a Discovery 2.

Get an ES or similarly high spec one and you get most of the toys, and all that you would want in a shooting hack, it will be more reliable than a P38, easier to maintain, and just as capable.

About the only downside is not having a tailgate to sit on whilst you sort out your wellies!

MW

Post #328423 18th May 2015 12:01pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

There aren't plenty of good Classics out there now and the ones that are good are £5K and upwards, plus I'd hate to use a really nice one to go shooting in and mess it up.

I still like the idea of the D2 V8, but what advantages are there over the P38? Similar amount of electrics, same engine and transmission, plus they're more money too. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #328474 18th May 2015 5:32pm
rr driver

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

I had a 2000 P38 2.5DHSE for 5 years, loved it. Felt the build quality was great, was such a comfortable ride. Main things that went wrong:
EAS- you should a keep a EAS rest tool or diagnostics kit with you ( the EAS reset tool is £100) I did have the Suspension Air bags replaced, apparently is is really easy to do if you can follow simple instructions, ( i cant)
The Blend motors had gone on the one side so i was either getting hot air or cold.
The HEVAC unit can play up.
Apart from that i had no major issues - that were not wear and tear or age related.
The landyzone forum has more P38 enthusiasts ( at the same tie they all hate them) If i needed "knock about" vehicle ) i wouldn't hesitate to get a P38, although i would probably get petrol this time. 2011 5.0SC Santorini Black
2009 5.0SC Santorti Black - Been stolen.
Had
2.5 DHSE P38
Alfa Romeo
BMW

Post #328478 18th May 2015 5:45pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

My two cents.

I just never liked the look of them - exterior.

However, the interior is beautiful. Elegant, but with just enough hard plastic to be sturdy and wear well. They are VERY comfortable. They drive beautifully, too (Canadian view, so petrol experience only). Off road: if you find a spot where only Defenders can make it and RR & Discos can't, you probably don't want to drive it anyway! Mr. Green

When I went looking for a Range Rover, the P38 was the first one I drove. It was enough to tell me, 'I want a Range Rover!" (Although I decided a Mk III was the way to go.) generally, they're cheaper than Classics. If you can manage the electronics and get a good one, it's a LOT of car for the $$/££. Good luck.

Post #328497 18th May 2015 8:13pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Thanks for the responses.

Here's another grenade to throw into the mix.

Is an L322 4.4 Vogue a good buy, say 100,000 miles for about £5k? Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #328504 18th May 2015 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>